Talk

Advanced search

to not understand the objections to Team GB?

(61 Posts)
LindyHemming Wed 22-Jun-11 07:01:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EverythingInMiniature Wed 22-Jun-11 07:08:05

meditrina Wed 22-Jun-11 07:10:21

I don't understand this either. The unified Team GB has been the system for Olympic football throughout. If they are presenting this as a "suggestion" rather than established fact, is misleading.

The difference between men's and women's football is also, sadly, well known. Actually it's the crazy economics of over-leveraged men's Premiership football that I think is the next unsustainable financial bubble to burst.

CurrySpice Wed 22-Jun-11 07:21:55

To be fair to them it's not about petty nationalism or not wanting "a bit of fun". If we enter as team gb we will be basically admitting to FIFA that the 4 nations are in fact one country and they worry that this will be the thin end of a wedge and we will be forced to unite permanently. This would then mean that the smaller footballibg nations would be subsumed by the richer, more powerful English fa and this would be to the detriment of football in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Don't forget FIFA is bonkers!

I think it's a shame but I can understand their worries.

orienteerer Wed 22-Jun-11 07:23:29

YANBU, I can't see what the fuss is about.

ginmakesitallok Wed 22-Jun-11 07:27:17

What curry said. We don't want a team GB because there's a risk that FIFA would then say that there couldn't be a Scotland/England/Wales and N Ireland team in other competitions

orienteerer Wed 22-Jun-11 08:14:11

I think we should have only one football team for the whole of the UK, what other nation competes on the world stage with "regional" teams?

sparkle12mar08 Wed 22-Jun-11 08:17:30

GB doesn't include NI, only the UK does. GB is England, Wales and Scotland.

bubblecoral Wed 22-Jun-11 08:19:16

Pathetic isn't it?

Surely FIFA will be able to see that we compete as one nation in the rest of the olympics and could put that pressure on anyway.

Small country syndrome, like men with small cock syndrome.

Inertia Wed 22-Jun-11 08:37:15

If they put together a GB or UK team it implies that there is a unified FA for one nation, rather than 4 different countries with their own FA. This would have a knock on effect for clubs in terms of fewer places in European competitions such as Champions League / Europa league.

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jun-11 09:36:45

The fear is as others have said that it would mean the loss of independent FA's for the UK nations.
Not sure what the point about womens football was mind.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 22-Jun-11 09:43:16

Scotland and Wales are kicking off (and I understand why), but has anyone asked England if we want our team watered down with less talented players (I'm presuming that places in the team would be given so all nationalities were fairly represented, rather than on merit alone).

We are separate nations and deserve to be treated as such, or at least asked before having this imposed.

LindyHemming Wed 22-Jun-11 09:46:17

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jun-11 09:47:36

It'd be on merit alone. And in fairness at youth/U23 level the standard is much closer so while it would still be England dominated there'd be more Welsh and Scottish players than if it was a mixed senior team. A senior team would simply be England + Bale,Ramsey,Fletcher & Hutton.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 22-Jun-11 09:50:57

Oh okay.

This doesn't seem very fair to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland though. Would they support a team that didn't really represent them? England would just end up getting the blame like it always does for these countries not being properly represented.

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jun-11 09:50:59

Thought as much but was unsure of the relevance to team GB. I mean I'm sure Kyle Lafferty would get more recognition if playing for a team UK than playing for N.Ireland.
That and I don't think the pay discrepincies are unfair so I was never likely to agree with you on that point.

mollymole Wed 22-Jun-11 09:52:58

Simple - it's football. they are ignorant twats. let them crawl back up their own arses.

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jun-11 09:55:25

Dunno tbf, I think if it was able to be done without affecting the FA's most football fans I've heard would enjoy it as a sort of side-show but nobody would really "support" the the team as football is fairly tribal so trying to be passionate about a team invented in the past few months for one tournament only would be a bit weird.
I think most agree it would be a good experience for young players and hopefully help their development but that is until one of their own club players is called up and it risks injury/missing matches (as was seen with J wilshere and Arsenal in the past month).
Not sure that England would be greatly over-represented given the recent U21 display which resulted in 2 draws,1 loss, 2 goals scored 3 conceded and out at the group stages.

GeekCool Wed 22-Jun-11 09:55:59

I think the reaction to it is wrong. I'm ebarassed as a Scot by our Government and FA comments, however they do have a valid point. I don't see the need for comments about 'small country syndrome' etc.
bubble the other events have nothing to do with FIFA. If FIFA would come out honestly and give assurances, I for one would be there waving a union jack extremely happy.

TheCrackFox Wed 22-Jun-11 09:56:18

YANBU

I am Scottish and I don't get the fuss at all. However, I think football is a lod of over rated crap.

Amateurish Wed 22-Jun-11 09:58:23

Team GB does include NI (i.e. Team GB and NI)

The various UK FAs all vew their independence within FIFA as more important than having players represented in the Olympics. Which is fair enough given that the Olympics is not an important event for football.

GeekCool Wed 22-Jun-11 09:58:55

One could argue it would be arrogant to assume that England would make up the bulk of the squad. The English team have better ranking of course, they also have a bigger country to find talent in, but that is not to say that every player in the England is better than a player from the other nations.

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jun-11 10:01:15

"Team GB does include NI (i.e. Team GB and NI)"

Does it?I could have sworn that the Irish team was an Island wide team rather than a free-state team.
Or do N.Ireland athletes get to choose?

stubbornhubby Wed 22-Jun-11 10:03:21

Every other country in FIFA thinks that the UK should have just one football team.
the Olympics is organised that way - one Olympic team for the UK (called 'GB' in Olympic speak)

Consequently we've never entered the football as the england, scotland, NI, Wales FAs don't cooperate as they don't want to do anything to suggest they'd be happy to play as one team.

But now we are the hosts.. it's interesting question. I am not quite sure how the team could work, because its sanctioned only by the FA then it's an England team. If it's not sanctioned by any football association then I don't think the players would be allowed to play in it, as normally professional players are only be allowed to play in FIFA sanctioned teams. If FIFA sanction a GB team then it's a declaration of war against the home unions...

gonerogue Wed 22-Jun-11 10:08:09

mayorquimby for football there is n N.I. Team and a Republic of Ireland team. For rugby there is one unified team for the whole of Ireland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now