Talk

Advanced search

...to give next door's ten year old a £10 for his birthday?

(17 Posts)
CocoKev Tue 21-Jun-11 22:19:38

Our lovely next door neighbours have invited us to their son's tenth birthday party on Saturday. We can't make it (have another b'day party to go to and can't make both) so I'm putting a card through their door tomorrow thanking them for the invite and wishing him a happy birthday. I'd like to get him a gift -had a look for something today but am completely clueless re presents for 10 year olds. Is it inappropriate to put a tenner in the card? We're friendly with the family, but not friends with them IYSWIM- not sure if this makes a difference. It sort of feels a bit wrong but I'm not sure why. What would you think if you were the 10 yr old's parents?

somersetmum Tue 21-Jun-11 22:20:42

Absolutely acceptable - and generous, he will love it.

ArnoldTheTrainDriver Tue 21-Jun-11 22:21:39

My 10 year old ds would be highly delighted with a £10 - he could buy exactly what he wanted then. I would be very happy.

AgentZigzag Tue 21-Jun-11 22:21:46

I think my 10 YO would be more than happy to get a tenner for her birthday.

I loved my nephews getting old enough to be able to give cash to for birthdays and Christmas, it saves a lot of hassle and they can get something they really do want.

AgentZigzag Tue 21-Jun-11 22:22:13

He's a lucky lad having you as a neighbour smile

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 22:23:08

I think that is a lovely idea

if not cash, then a book token or one from a pc games shop ?

the cash is fine though, seriously

Mutt Tue 21-Jun-11 22:23:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 21-Jun-11 22:24:08

my nephew aged 10 would love that, what a nice neighbour you are

KristinaM Tue 21-Jun-11 22:24:24

My 11yo would be delighted

i now buy gift vouchers for all her friends as i have no idea what they like

Merrylegs Tue 21-Jun-11 22:24:30

If you are friendly but not friends, and are not actually going to the party, I think a fiver would be fine. My 10 year old would be more than happy with this, and as a parent I would think it a nice gesture but not too over the top.

You can not come to her party if you like grin

ErinGoBraLess Tue 21-Jun-11 22:26:14

Aww that sounds great. He'll love that and he'll feel rich!

scotlass Tue 21-Jun-11 22:26:24

I would think what a lovely thoughtful neighbour you are smile

My 12yr old DD is like scrooge counting up her birthday money and spends ages planning what she's going to spend it on. grin

Much better than a pressie which may not be needed / enjoyed IMO

CocoKev Tue 21-Jun-11 22:29:30

Great- thanks all. My DH is a MN convert- we were debating the issue for a few minutes and he said 'Let's AIBU it- Mumsnet will know'. AIBU (pronounced aye-boo) is now a verb in our house.
He'll be on here asking your advice on all sorts of things now...

KristineKochanski Tue 21-Jun-11 22:57:42

I think putting a tenner in a card is a lovely thing to do, at that age he'll love it.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 21-Jun-11 22:59:46

£1 for every year of their life is a highly appropriate gift for a 10 year old and I'm sure he'll be over the moon, but I suggest you keep it to a tenner every year or stop what will have become a tradition when he's 18.

startail Tue 21-Jun-11 23:06:04

My DD would love you to bits, she has a dreadful SIMS habit (up dates, add ones and various other goodiesare essential). She's also not adverse to being allowed to choose the odd Primark or Mataland T shirt.

startail Tue 21-Jun-11 23:07:34

sorry I've only had one glass of beer, but that is even more dyslexic than usual blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now