Talk

Advanced search

Someone I know very well not paid a penny in tax in years

(155 Posts)
mrsmusic Tue 21-Jun-11 22:17:25

Not really an AIBU... I have recently found out that BIL, who has been running two small businesses for a few years, has never registered these businesses, never had any books etc. It makes me so mad! We pay thousands in tax every year and to me it's stealing from society and making a mockery of those who do put in and contribute. If it wasn't someone so close, I'd have been on the phone to the tax people by now. I asked a close friend for their advice and it was to leave it, as what goes around comes around (e.g. he'll never be able to get a mortgage) and the tax office will catch up eventually. And I've nothing to gain from it, so I won't. WWYD? Honestly?

oneofthosedays Tue 21-Jun-11 22:21:22

If it bothers you that much I would shop your BIL, but otherwise yes, leave karma to bite him in the bum at some point grin, i'm sure it will!

mdowdall Tue 21-Jun-11 22:49:42

Dont know why you are bothered OP. Live and let live.

Rootatoot Tue 21-Jun-11 23:04:41

I would most definately NOT shop him. He's family. It might not be right but unless you want to cause a massive pile of stress, upset and heartache in your family, you should leave well alone. It doesn't directly affect you does it, as you say, even though you find it annoying because you pay tax.

Shallishanti Tue 21-Jun-11 23:07:52

why not just talk to him?
I presume he uses the NHS and other public services, expects the police to come if he is burgled and so on?
Who does he think pays for all that?

harecare Tue 21-Jun-11 23:09:23

Does he make enough profit to pay tax? If so point out that you're worried as your uncle's brother's cousin recently had a check from the tax man and ended up having to sell his house to pay the tax and avoid prison. You might just be annoyed that he's getting away with it, but the consequences of him getting caught aren't worth the risk, so be a helpful SIL and let him know your concern (rather than your anger)

ZillionChocolate Tue 21-Jun-11 23:09:51

I am bothered and I've never met him. I'm bothered because it's not fair. Fine live and let live if other people are meeting their legal and moral obligations but tax is not optional.

PartySpanner Tue 21-Jun-11 23:11:06

Arf at all the posters pushing you not to shop him.

Wonder how they'd feel about "BENEFIT CHEATS"?

Interesting

somethingwitty82 Tue 21-Jun-11 23:17:42

Maybe she is bothering because when there are collective bills to be paid and losers shirk their cut then bigger cuts need to made child services/education/care of the elderly.

The likelihood is he will be able to save up a bigger deposit, self certify and if (unlikely) he is caught it wont b the full amount, crime pays

Grass his criminal ass!

/i bet this fucker is happy to use the NHS/police when it suits him, let him pay

ilovesooty Tue 21-Jun-11 23:18:36

I'd shop him: family or not. It's fraud.

proudfoot Wed 22-Jun-11 00:25:20

ZillionChocolate Tue 21-Jun-11 23:09:51

I am bothered and I've never met him. I'm bothered because it's not fair. Fine live and let live if other people are meeting their legal and moral obligations but tax is not opt

COMPLETELY AGREE.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 22-Jun-11 00:28:35

I;ve known a few people that haven't registered businesses immediately and waited a year or so before they paid any tax, but once they did they paid retrospectively.

Sorry, but the posters who say that 'live and let live' and 'it's family' are wankers. These people are fraudulent tax dodgers. OP, give me their details and I'll frigging shop them angry criminal fucks.

TheTruthNothingButTheTruth Wed 22-Jun-11 00:29:29

Almost half the country indulges in this. The only honest tax payers are u slot on PAYE where the tax is deducted at source. Cash in hand types dont pay a penny in tax. Just look at the people at supermarket checkouts whip out hundreds in cash and pay in cash.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 22-Jun-11 00:30:48

Half the country? Bollocks.

wtf are you on about wrt supermarket checkouts?

janey68 Wed 22-Jun-11 07:09:49

Comletely agree with zillionchocolate

Obviously there are a few ignorant people on here who think fraud is ok. They must also think that it's just jolly bad luck that the MPs who fraudulently claimed expenses got caught and sentenced. I mean, live and let live, eh? Lets just ignore the legislation we don't happen to like. Perhaps I'll indulge in a bit of shoplifting this morning - I mean, I'm sure the rules don't really apply to me, and it's not really harming anyone is it...... hmm

mateysmum Wed 22-Jun-11 07:37:54

Shop him. I bet you can do it anonymously.

This man is being dishonest and committing an offence. Why should the rest of us pay his share?

Difficult when it's close family, but if he had committed a different kind of crime (eg. outright theft/violence) would you shop him?

usualsuspect Wed 22-Jun-11 07:41:25

If this was a benefit cheat thread ...you would have had loads of shop him posts

It is indeed interesting

MaxSchreck Wed 22-Jun-11 07:42:20

I'd shop him.

Peachy Wed 22-Jun-11 07:42:25

Half the country? rubbish. DH is self emplyed and pays every penny he has to. Basic duty.

talk to him, say you don't think it's OK and you have heard so many stories about what happens when people catch up (and heck, I temped for a little while in the VAT office- it ain't pretty!). See what he says.

Peachy Wed 22-Jun-11 07:42:45

And yes US I agree

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jun-11 07:44:17

If his 'businesses' are so small and irregular that he doesn't earn over the personal allowance, he might not be liable for tax. But if he's coining a regular income via his black economy operation, I'd alert HMRC and not lose a moment's sleep. One reason the Greek economy is so bad at the moment is because they're really bad at collecting tax. If everyone did what your BIL does, our economy would be even further in the shit than it already is.

janey68 Wed 22-Jun-11 07:50:25

Fraud is fraud is fraud. End of. It's not up to the individual to decide that some fraud is 'less dishonest' than other fraud.

And as mateysmum says, where do you draw the line? What crimes are 'acceptable'?

I wonder how the people who condone this would feel if their own child got mugged or robbed on their way home, and the perpetrator was protected by family members who thought 'oh well, not much money was taken, no harm done'

The lack of social conscience among a few people is astonishing.

IShallWearMidnight Wed 22-Jun-11 07:54:20

depending on what line of business he's in, there's a very good chance that HMRC will catch up with him in anycase - they have a list of different types of business they are targeting, and are working their way down it.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jun-11 07:56:42

I'll make it easy for you and link to this HMRC tax evasion form Completely anonymous.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jun-11 07:57:46

'Confidential' rather than 'anonymous'... to be strictly accurate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now