Talk

Advanced search

...to feel bad DH & I can't think of a good birthday present for 6 yo DS?

(25 Posts)
TheHouseofMirth Tue 21-Jun-11 21:59:19

DS1 will be 6 in less than 2 weeks and I have absolutley no idea what to give him as a present.

He has a bike and scooter and we are knee-deep in Lego. He hasn't asked for anything and when pushed he mentioned a DS, which DH & I are not keen on, or a remote control helicopter which I know are crap and which will be a huge disappointment to him.

I feel I should be able to choose a fab present for him which will not just be a 5 minute wonder but which will really ignite an new interest in him but I am totally without inspiration and feel like a useless mother.

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 22:00:30

Why are you not keen on a DS?

moondog Tue 21-Jun-11 22:01:00

Why?
If he doesn't want one, then why buy for the sake of it?
I don't get this sentiment at all.

I rarely buy birthday presents for my kids.
They never seem to notice or care.

Ismeyes Tue 21-Jun-11 22:01:54

Remote control helicopters are fab! We had great fun with a couple, really got the whole family involved.

To be fair, he is 6, and if he can't ask for a 5 minute wonder for his birthday, when can he? It doesn't have to be worthy all the time.

PrinceHumperdink Tue 21-Jun-11 22:03:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hormonalmum Tue 21-Jun-11 22:04:50

skateboard
playmobil
trip out somewhere?

JiminyCricket Tue 21-Jun-11 22:05:32

I bought some crystals and stuff from ebay for my dd - plus a light thing for 2.99 that made them light up when you put them on it and a box to collect them in - she loved it - does he like fossils or crystals or anything like that? I have gone more cheap and cheerful as the years go on, but try to think of little bits they will really enjoy.

catchingzeds Tue 21-Jun-11 22:05:37

Mini pool/air hockey table, swingball, Childs camera or science kit?

OyOfMidWorld Tue 21-Jun-11 22:05:57

What about something more 'experience' based. Riding lessons, or swimming lessons or is there a sport he has shown an interest in?

coorong Tue 21-Jun-11 22:06:32

digital camera. They're much cheaper and kids love taking photos.

Agree on the DS - they're junk food for the brain

Grabaspoon Tue 21-Jun-11 22:09:08

Playmobil
Digital Camera
Science museum stuff
Cranium

MumblingRagDoll Tue 21-Jun-11 22:12:49

A microscope....they love them. Amazon has soe good sturdy ones for younger kids.

stealthsquiggle Tue 21-Jun-11 22:12:55

Does he like using your camera? We waited until DS was using my camera at every opportunity and taking some really nice photos before we bought him his own (super tough but good digital compact)

Telescope? A decent one is £££ but would last him for ever?

TheHouseofMirth Tue 21-Jun-11 22:16:27

Euphemia we're not against computer games per se; DH is a keen gamer and often plays on the Playstation with DS but I feel DSs have a habit of cutting children off from other experiences. I have often seen children out and about playing with them when they should eally be interacting with their surroundings or the people they are with.

Moondog I think because birthdays are special days, because DS doesn't randomly get bought stuff and because looking back it felt like my parents always got it right and I'd like DS to feel as excited on his birthdays as I did on mine.

FabbyChic Tue 21-Jun-11 22:18:54

Do what I have always done and that is ask my children what they want always have they are 23 and 18 now. Even at christmas Id give them the argos book and say right you have 150 what do you want, and with the other 100 Id buy surprises but it always ensured they got what they wanted.

mummyosaurus Tue 21-Jun-11 22:20:10

DD was 6 at the beginning of the month. I had previously resisted a DS, but gave in for this birthday. I will be very strict on games - junior brain training is good.

She loves it but is not over using it (one of my concerns).

My other idea would be playmobile. A great imaginative toy.

tiggerandpoohtoo Tue 21-Jun-11 22:22:07

we also bought my daughter a digital camera and then took her on a day out to use it. She loved it and also enjoyed going to the photo machine the next day to choose what pictures to print.

youarekidding Tue 21-Jun-11 22:22:55

Wish I could help but I'm struggling for DS who will be 7 in a few weeks.

He has lego, playmobil and train track.

He has a DS (against my better judgement but all he asked for at xmas was a DS and Knex rollercoaster).

The DS is not an addicted item and I've never had to limit or impose a cerfew on it and was cheap from ebay.

DS also has mentioned a remote control helecopter but there for 10ys old and above dontcha know wink grin

Maybe Knex would be a good present for your DS? Mine wants a netbook for this birthday and as he's starting juniors he will get one from all immediate family as a big pressie.

Basically I agree if they don't need (or want) why bust a gut getting? Could you not get a token gift and put the money you'd spend aside? Then if a month or so down the line theres something he really wants get it then?

ashamedandconfused Tue 21-Jun-11 22:24:03

science experiment stuff
books
day out

TheHouseofMirth Tue 21-Jun-11 22:24:30

FabbyChic we have asked him but apart from more plastic crap Baukugan stuff, he doesn't know what he wants and also as he's so young I want to give him a present that might open his horizons a bit.

FiteFuaite Tue 21-Jun-11 22:25:29

How about one of those rockets that you jump on and they shoot into the air? Very popular with my 6 year old and us smile

treas Tue 21-Jun-11 22:28:43

Op - DS is not bad in moderation besides your house your rules on when and where your dc can use it.

My dc can use their ds for a total of an hour each Friday and Saturday / Sunday. Also when dc are 'naughty' they lose their playing privileges and have to earn them back.

butterscotch Tue 21-Jun-11 22:37:05

Apart from the open things side of it what about a day trip to lego land if he is in to that! Or a block book of cinema tix so he can see films?

Where do you live is there a great set of museums around you? We live Essex and last oct half term dd1 was 3.5 we took her to science museum and natural history obviously she is a bit young for the full impact/effect but she still enjoyed herself and loved the whole dinosar thing etc....

corriefan Tue 21-Jun-11 22:37:08

Some sort of pet (one you're willing to look after)?

3HotCrossBuns Tue 21-Jun-11 22:39:14

My DS1 has just turned 6. 2 of his top presents were roller blades from his grandma and a Vtech digital camera from his uncle. Both purchased from Amazon for under £30! (the digital camera was on offer, don't know if it still is). The camera has games on it so (sort of!) makes up for the lack of DS in this house too! Other gifts included goalie gloves, a rock pool kit for the beach, star wars stuff, lego, audio cds (Roald Dahl), Now 77, more lego etc etc. I was just saying to DH tonight what a great stash of pressies DS1 has had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now