Talk

Advanced search

To be crafty.

(53 Posts)
whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:12:31

I like to craft.

There - I said it grin

I like to knit, make cards, decoupage, paint, bake cakes, sew, cross stitch etc

However, when some of frinds saw how much I did it drew sniggers and the odd joke about me being old and sitting in front of the tv knitting. So about a year ago I threw all my crafting things away and sold what I could.

Now I really feel like starting up again and want to knit a blanket/ make a quilt but I have found myself wanting to hide the stuff visitors come round.

So AIU and 'old' before my time....(I am 29).

Sewmuchtodo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:30:42

You are not alone.....I too am a crafter!

My partner in crime and I run monthly 'meet and make' sessions in Devon. We have a variety of age ranges....from 27 to 70 and we all have a good chat, a coffee (or vino) and make our monthly project. This month we are making applique bags to brighten up our summer wardrobes!

You ANBU whatsoever.....come join us!

GrownUpNow Tue 21-Jun-11 20:32:12

YWBU to let what your friends think make you give up something you loved, do what you like and fuck what the world thinks. That's my motto.

LittleMissFlustered Tue 21-Jun-11 20:33:39

Some friends to be fair. Do as you will and enjoy. I knit, sew and will make a card if forced. Loads of my friend's are part of the cult of scrappers and one is a cross stitch addict. Enjoysmile

AgentZigzag Tue 21-Jun-11 20:34:35

You got rid of all your craft stuff away because your friends were ribbing you about it? shock

I used to do a lot of patchwork/embroidery/knitting/sewing in my 20s, firstly because it was before I got online and I liked to do it when I was watching TV, and secondly because I was totally skint and had to make anything I could for my flat.

None of my friends said anything about me doing it, and if they did I wouldn't have given it a second thought, I definately wouldn't have let them get to me so much that I gave it up!

Be more comfortable with the person you are smile

LittleMissFlustered Tue 21-Jun-11 20:34:45

Ack! Random apostrophe. Forking iPad. Sorry!

<runs away in shame>

pyjamababe Tue 21-Jun-11 20:36:05

They are just jealous because they have no talent. Sod them all. I have a half knitted scarf upstairs I started before ds was born (nearly 2 now!!) if you want to come round and remind me how to pearl one?? grin

Abgirl Tue 21-Jun-11 20:37:18

YABU to have got rid of your crafting stuffshock

Your friends know nothing, crafting is IN! Buy yourself a copy of Molliemakes immediately and get re-inspired...grin

pyjamababe Tue 21-Jun-11 20:39:06

Come to think of it, if I hadn't discovered mumsnet, that scarf would have been finished long ago blush

Crosshair Tue 21-Jun-11 20:42:10

If you enjoy it, why not?

Mammonite Tue 21-Jun-11 20:43:29

I have been making things since the age of five and never stopped all through my teens, twenties and thirties. People have sometimes given me the hmm when I've brought out my knitting but normally are impressed by the finished product (well barring a few dodgy ones!). I suppose people can't picture a young happening person doing craft work but then they haven't been exposed to the blogs/books/events etc of the initiated have they? YANBU not one bit. I know how you feel but have managed not to get bothered about it any more. The older your friends get the more likely they are to surreptitiously take up beading or something, IME.

ZXEightyMum Tue 21-Jun-11 20:44:22

I wanted to knit once, having remembered doing it as a child. I think I was trying to stop smoking. Anyway, after a half hour my neck ached and my hands hurt like fuck and I was squinting and had a headache and thought, "this is hurting my eyes and hands and fingers. Why DO people with fucked-up eyes and hands and fingers knit?"

If only I had applied the same logic to the drinking of vodka.

purpleknittingmum Tue 21-Jun-11 20:45:34

I became a knitting addict about 3 years ago and often sit at work on breaks with it, gave up caring what anyone thinks of me doing it! I go to a knitting group if I have that day off

If you enjoy it, stuff what everyone thinks!! grin

bushymcbush Tue 21-Jun-11 20:47:20

YABU to throw your stuff away but I totally understand about people's reactions. I'm a professional thirty-something and the one time I mentioned my knitting to my colleagues I got the strangest looks.

purpleknittingmum Tue 21-Jun-11 20:50:20

Oh I forgot to say, at work we do Learning at Work days and myself and a colleage usually do 2 one hour sessions and we get 10 people in each one. I think some are there as there was nothing else for them to do but some are genuinely wanting to learn

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 21-Jun-11 20:53:03

Do what you like and don't take any notice of what anyone else thinks.

PrinceHumperdink Tue 21-Jun-11 20:53:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:02

Thank you everyone - nice to hear of others confidence ! Bushymcbush - Yes it is that look hmm that I used to get. If I used to buy a jumper/ cardigans for my kids they would say stuff like "Aren't you going knit one!

But I am wanting to get back to it - was watching Kirsty's Home made Homes the other day and felt sad as I had nothing left in the house to use to make something with.

PrinceHumperdink Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:56:04

I sold some of the stuff blush and threw the rest...lucky I kept my needles.

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:58:05

PrinceHumperdink - sounds like you have a lot of crafts on the go!! Have fun!

sewmuchtodo - Thank you for the invite but I live a light year away grin

Off to google Mollie makes..

purpleknittingmum Tue 21-Jun-11 20:59:58

Get stuck in and enjoy it again!

Abgirl Tue 21-Jun-11 21:01:27

Watch this: www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UqV8WV8Ddos 'nuff said

Summerbird73 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:06:19

whaaaat you threw it all away! shock bugger your 'friends'. a good friend of mine got me into making cards 4 years ago when she made my wedding invitations, i now make as many birthday etc cards as i can (have a 2yo DS now so i dont get the time as much). i would run my own business doing it if i had the confidence. my friends and family look forward to a home made card!

also my friend - a lawyer on mat leave - has jacked in the legal profession to make the most beautifully handcrafted quilts, bibs, bunting, comforters etc.

and we are both early 30s. you go for it and get some more stuff, you might be able to get some second hand, also go to car boot sales for some cheap clothes to use as fabrics.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Tue 21-Jun-11 21:07:35

It's sad that you stopped doing something you enjoy because of other people. Go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now