Talk

Advanced search

to ask that if things in the garden are going to bite me

(15 Posts)
GnomeDePlume Tue 21-Jun-11 20:08:40

they brush their teeth first?

Something took an actual lump out of me yesterday and now my already fat leg has swollen up some more and hurts like hell!

Not much in the grand scheme of things I know but I think the bugs & beasties need to work a bit harder on oral hygiene.

BornSicky Tue 21-Jun-11 22:26:32

YADNBU

i'm currently sporting an enormous bug bite on my cheekbone! some pesky little bugger must have taken a nibble when i was weeding yesterday.

makes me want to stop being so flipping organic.

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 21-Jun-11 22:28:54

if you get bitten agin take a piriton, sound like you have had a reaction.

AgentZigzag Tue 21-Jun-11 22:35:37

I did a double take at your post bornsicky because I thought it said 'weeing' grin

But in my mind it got fused with weeding and I had an image of you weeing in the garden.

Sorry grin

BornSicky Tue 21-Jun-11 22:48:18

now that would be a painful bite! grin

SuePurblybilt Tue 21-Jun-11 22:52:03

You can get one-off mean bugs that'll give you a horrible reaction. I wear Avon dry body oil, the green one, to do the garden. They keep changing the name, it's called soft'n'fresh or some such, spray bottle, about £2. It smells vile but keeps away bitey flies. I have also used it on goats and horses to great effect but you don't have to smile.

meditrina Tue 21-Jun-11 22:52:40

If it doesn't settle quickly, get it seen by a doctor. Urgently if it's red/sore/swollen and it starts tracking up your leg (you'll need antibiotics if its lack of oral hygiene has introduced bacteria that are getting a hold).

GnomeDePlume Tue 21-Jun-11 22:55:08

That does sound painful BornSicky. At least legs arent particularly sensitive, on the face sounds much worse. Mind, given AgentZigZag's post it could all have been so much worse.

Note to self: remember not to weed while starkers or wee in the garden.

AgentZigzag Tue 21-Jun-11 22:56:24

Ewwww horse flies, definately don't want to get bitten by those bastards, really painful.

DogsBestFriend Tue 21-Jun-11 23:00:41

I garden, dog walk and have been known to work with rescue dogs in the flat Fenlands where stagnant water is abound and am a ruddy mozzie magnet. The worst examples have been 50 plus hives as a result of bites and an infected arm which required ABs (the latter admittedly because that side has no immune system following surgery).

I've found that 'Jungle Formula' works brilliantly and (don't laugh) if I do get bitten that Johnsons Tea Tree spray for dogs works marvellously to alleviate itching and irritation within a couple of minutes.

AgentZigzag Tue 21-Jun-11 23:08:19

Ouzo is pretty good at keeping the blighters at bay as well grin

LordOfTheFlies Tue 21-Jun-11 23:12:43

I second the Ouzo. When we went to Turkey DH drank the local stuff( aniseedy like Ouzo, dirt cheap).
I don't drink alcohol.
Him- blemish free.
Me- fecking polka-dot angry envy

BornSicky Tue 21-Jun-11 23:57:52

excellent!

I can now garden naked swigging ouzo!

quick question... who looks after my baby whilst I do this? grin

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 22-Jun-11 00:12:48

Sue means AVON SKIN SO SOFT It is amazing stuff; the only thing that works on scottish midgies and horse flies. AND it does not dissolve plastic (like repellent does). Result.

BornSicky Wed 22-Jun-11 00:19:31

Scottish MINGES?

<reads thread properly and retreats> blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now