Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else think that once you're pregnant HC staff seem to think it's okay to manhandle you?

(41 Posts)
SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 16:49:05

Okay, so it might just be me and I might be being unreasonable.

Since I got pregnant I feel that Healthcare staff seem to think you are not bothered about personal space.

I went to have a 24 ECG tape removed today, went into the room the hca was a young guy probably my age. He asked me to lift my top up but before I even got to try he had grabbed it and was trying to pull it up!! I pushed his hands away and said "right wait a minute! I will get it myself." Also when he went to take the last sticky off he just shoved his hand up the rest of my top without even asking me if he could. I asked him if I could get it myself and he said that was fine.

I also have a maternity physio therapist who continually grabs my crotch and bum when showing me what muscles to tighten.

Am I the only person who thinks staff acting like this is a bit off? I wouldn't have a problem if they asked first but it's the fact that no one seems to think I will mind.

Sorry if this is worded badly.

Fernier Tue 21-Jun-11 16:50:51

yanbu unreasonable but no one has ever done anything like that to me must be a dodgy hospital!

Fernier Tue 21-Jun-11 16:51:10

i over did the unreasonable smile

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 16:52:09

I posted the other day about a MW shouting in my friends face... Maybe it is just my hospital as it's the same one. confused

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 16:52:43

You need to complain about these two members of staff

How unlucky for you to be manhandled by two entirely different professional people within such a short space of time

Catsu Tue 21-Jun-11 16:53:05

My maternity physio manhandles me but that's her job! And i'm very grateful she does or I'd be in a lot more pain!!
Yanbu about the other dr though

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 16:53:27

gosh, that is three then

awful

wearylawstudent Tue 21-Jun-11 16:53:52

these 2 incidents sound awful, I'd complain if I were you

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 16:54:05

I think the physio woman is just maybe a bit forgetful of how people might like to be touched (or not touched) as she is lovely in every other way. However the other guy was just a fair bit too forward and it did make me feel uncomfortable.

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 16:56:39

Catsu I Understand that Physiotherapists need to touch you it's just the not being asked when she has her hand firmly attached to my crotch or when she decided to pull my trousers down for me that gets to me.

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 17:07:21

the physiotherapist pulled your trousers down for you ?

there is no way she should do that unless you are incapacitated in some way

xstitch Tue 21-Jun-11 17:11:18

shock You have been very unlucky with HCP. Or maybe I have just been lucky.

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 17:11:50

Not completely down but enough to expose the top of my pubic region (Pants were also pulled).
I also thought that she shouldn't do that unless I couldn't do it myself and even then still ask!

All the Health care proffesionals I have seen so far don't seem to have any perception of personal boundaries. At first I put up with it but after having that guy today assume it was fine to pull my tshirt up for me, I am ready for snapping.

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 17:13:53

all the health care professionals ???

every single one, bar none?

OMG, this gets worse and worse !

have you contacted "Chat" magazine to sell your story?...I think you could do very well out of this

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 17:17:27

hmm Maybe I worded that wrong and it hasn't been all but it has been a fair amount of them.

Thanks for the sarcasm btw.

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 17:17:54

you are welcome to it

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jun-11 17:18:22

hmm right back atcha

give 'em enough rope....

TooScaredToLeave Tue 21-Jun-11 17:19:31

As a healthcare professional, I think this is ot acceptable.
When I am with a patient, if I do any of these, I would always tell the person what I am doing and getting their agreement first for it. This is not on at all.

I do agree that sometimes you do need to 'touch' people in areas where you would normally not go when you are reating someone but it does not stop you from being aware of personal bundaries and ask for their accord first.
I feel that in the case of the lad, he was especially wrong at you had already made clear his behaviour was not on (Your comment should have been enough for him to realize he made you unconfortable).

I would say, have a word with the physio as I suppose you are going to see her again and explain how you feel and that you would like to be told/asked first.
If she doesn't stop, send a complain.

nickelbabe Tue 21-Jun-11 17:20:36

AF - down girl.....
wink

LineRunner Tue 21-Jun-11 17:21:34

OP If there is a cultural problem about personal dignity at your hospital then please do report it.

I think AnyFucker's scepticism is based on the fact that your experience is extremely unusual, and at least one of the incidents you describe might well constitute an assault, and it's very odd that so many health care workers would behave in such a professionally and legally risky way in one setting.

What you describe is very, very wrong.

Does that make sense?

spookshowangel Tue 21-Jun-11 17:22:29

i have never been manhandled, always been treated with respect and discretion. you know step behind the curtain to remove your top etc . but to be fair i am not all that bothered either a few babys and i am not all that bothered who see's what or goes where.

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 17:22:56

I think with the physio I would much rather have a talk with her and not say a supervisor. She's a nice old woman, just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable at times. grin

I still don't think I will complain about the guy though, as awkward as it felt, I feel I am probably just over reacting.

TooScared Thanks for your reply, my Gran is a Auxilliary Nurse and she thinks they need a bit of training on boundaries but has basically said to me that's what it's like when you're pregnant.

nenevomito Tue 21-Jun-11 17:24:56

I've never had such problems with HCPs. You've been very unlucky - I'd complain if I were you.

Pulling your pants down for you is bizarre behaviour.

nenevomito Tue 21-Jun-11 17:25:34

That's what its like when you're pregnant.

Umm, no. hmm

SchrodingersMew Tue 21-Jun-11 17:25:51

LineRunner It does make sense, and I am speaking the complete truth!
It was never like this before I was pregnant, the same as Spookshow being told to change behind curtain etc.

I guess in explaining it, I have realised it sounds much worse than it seemed. I wouldn't have dreamt of saying I was assaulted or anything of the like, just that the staff in my hospital don't seem to know boundaries with space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now