Talk

Advanced search

Year 6 Prom - WTF?

(65 Posts)
ZXEightyMum Tue 21-Jun-11 15:47:24

Yes it is nice to celebrate the end of Junior School. Apart from the Yr 6 Residential trip and the Yr 6 surprise outing on the last day and the Leavers' Assembly why mark the occasion with a glorified School-Disco comprising a shit-load of extra expense at the exact same time as you are buying a completely new school uniform for Secondary for your child?

Well done those parents who suggested that it would be a fantastic idea and who will be spending £30 on a FUCKING TIARA for their little Princess for this one evening and will then spend shite-all on decent non-flimsy uniform for their children if the children are to be clad in uniform at all thus making my job harder hmm

Damn the Yr 6 Prom, damn it all to Hell. And no I am not being unreasonable!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 21-Jun-11 15:53:25

YANBU. I've been horrified at the amount of 'how can we spend yet more money for the Year 6 leavers' ideas arriving home in the school bag. So far.... v expensive residential trip, personalised jumpers, two big parties, a special assembly, lavish teacher gift proposals .... and if you say you're not contributing all that happens is that your kid gets excluded and you look like Ebeneezer incarnate. No prom yet but I expect that's next... <grumpy>

nokissymum Tue 21-Jun-11 15:54:29

Is attendance compulsory ? If you dont like the extra expense why not just excuse you dh from it.

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 15:56:04

If you think any parent is going to put the ease of your job (whatever that is) before their own child then YABU.

Year 6 'proms' are silly though. There was nothing wrong with the leavers disco

pinkhebe Tue 21-Jun-11 15:56:14

we have a leavers assembly and a leavers bbq - the funds for which the yr 6 raised during business week (make something and flog it/ provide a service)

No expensive prom or residential (that was in yr 5 grin)

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 15:57:22

nokissy why would her Husband need to be excused from it? grin

watfordmummy Tue 21-Jun-11 15:58:43

In Scotland when I were a lass,the schools had a Qually dance - Qualifying Dance - it was held by the school and they had they had to learn Scottish Country Dancing for it. Think now everything is getting over the top!

LauLauLemon Tue 21-Jun-11 15:59:54

YADNBU.

I don't understand proms at all. I don't understand them in Year 11, Year 12 or Year 13, let alone in Year 6.

ashamedandconfused Tue 21-Jun-11 16:00:21

YANBU and DD is Y6 and they are having one - nowt to do with school, organised by parents, some of whom are trying to fill a limo with their DC at £20 a seat, just for the ride there!!!!

and they are all having new dresses, apparently

whats wrong with a BBQ/disco??

ZXEightyMum Tue 21-Jun-11 16:02:16

I don't have a "job" other than parenting my eleven year old and her disabled brother at the moment.

When I inferred that DD's school-friends would not bother to wear proper uniform and that it would make my task as a parent in partnership with the school harder well, that's what I meant.

WhoAteMySnickers Tue 21-Jun-11 16:04:38

YANBU. It's like a competition in DS's school with children arriving for the prom in limos, fire engines, classic sports cars, all hired especially for the occasion, boys in tuxedoes and girls covered in fake tan, swarovski crystals and ridiculous dresses.

I am planning to fly DS in by helicopter if this is still going on by the time he gets to Y6. That'll show 'em! grin

MillyR Tue 21-Jun-11 16:05:14

DD would love a prom, but I've never heard of Primary school ones where we live. I think it would be nicer if they did a big one with lots of different schools. That would give the kids an opportunity to meet people they might end up at Secondary school with, but in a social setting.

lagrandissima Tue 21-Jun-11 16:06:50

YANBU. If we give our kids proms, tiaras and discos at 11, it'll be limos and 'ball gowns' at 16 (as it already is in many cases). And what then... helicopter pads, cocaine and Jimmy Choos if they graduate?! All consumerist nonsense.

JudysJudgement Tue 21-Jun-11 16:08:44

these things only get out of hand if you join in with them

like the ever more expensive teacher's present - i have heard of cases of wine, expensive jewellery and whatnot being given. More fool you if you try and keep up with that shit.

if you just stick with a box of cheap chocs, thats fine.

why does child in OP need a new dress - whats wrong with something she has worn to the leavers do?? like i said, if you try and keep up with it, more fool you

LineRunner Tue 21-Jun-11 16:10:14

YANBU. I never really rated my kids' primary schools academically but they were very tuned into the fact of many parents not having much money. In Year 6 their experiences involved: leavers' disco (£1.50); leavers' assembly (no cost); leavers' concert (free tickets for family - all costumes made out of old tat).

'Miss' got a Terry's Chocolate Orange and was grateful for it.

And this in recent years!!

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 16:10:30

I'm sorry (granted I may be being thick here!) but how does what other parents spend on their kid's uniforms impact on you? confused

LineRunner Tue 21-Jun-11 16:11:57

Worra maybe the OP's a teacher who watches children's cheap clothes slowly fall apart in front of her very eyes?

ZXEightyMum Tue 21-Jun-11 16:11:57

grin at helicopter!

I remember seeing a few boys looking ever so sweet in black tie walking to the school but still...

Difference is, at sixteen, on leaving school, DC usually have part-time jobs, are going to college or to work or training and DO NOT NEED A COMPLETELY NEW WARDROBE COMPRISING BLAZERS AND TIES AND LOGOED RIP-OFF POLO SHIRTS TO BE BOUGHT IN THE SAME MONTH.

Ahem.

ZXEightyMum Tue 21-Jun-11 16:12:51

worra don't be stupid I made it clear that I was talking about my job as a parent.

LineRunner you are making yourself look equally dim.

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 16:14:36

Errr I'm not fucking stupid actually. I'm just politely asking WTF you're on about because (to me anyway) it's not clear hmm

So how is your job as a parent affected if other parents spend too much money on the prom and not enough on school uniform?

Jaspants Tue 21-Jun-11 16:16:51

Yes our Y6s (all 15 of them hmm) had a leavers prom.

Some numpty parent suggested the girls have a limo, so the boys had to have one as well - cost £40 each!

The local prep school apparently declined a request to allow a helicopter to land on the field to bring the leavers in to school on the last day.

LineRunner Tue 21-Jun-11 16:18:30

OP I agree with your first premise about proms for year 6 pupils being a waste of money.

I didn't understand your comment about uniforms. And I still don't. Sorry.

Groovee Tue 21-Jun-11 16:20:19

We have a Ceilidh, we've known since nursery about it. Then for £5 more they go on to a disco at the community centre next door.

They have school camp at the start of P7 (y6) and then a day out the week before they leave then on the last day of term, the parents go to a show performed by the children then a strawberry tea is organised and the P7's leave at 11.30am with their parents and leave by the door they started on the first day of P1.

ZXEightyMum Tue 21-Jun-11 16:20:58

"spend shite-all on decent non-flimsy uniform for their children if the children are to be clad in uniform at all

I've seen some cheap uniform, trousers and polo-shirts. My autistic son is hyper-sensitive and refuses to wear anything with a label in so I have been looking at lots of spares because he WILL lose clothes.

You do get what you pay for. The things I have bought as "spares" are flimsy and a false economy.

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 16:21:42

LineRunner Don't be stupid she made it clear grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now