Talk

Advanced search

Formal dance quandary

(42 Posts)
GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:23:07

I am attending a very, very formal ball in a few weeks. I have bought a lovely corset bodiced, full skirted (8 layers), floor length gown for the occasion. Looks beautiful but is very heavy and hot to wear.

My question is:

AIBU to omit underwear and go commando in an effort to:

a) keep my nethers (and legs) cool with help from a liberal sprinkling of talc,
and
b) take some of the faff out of the PITA that is going to the loo in such a frock.

Opinions appreciated smile

Sharney Tue 21-Jun-11 14:29:55

YANBU, it's not likely you're going to have an indiscreet moment. No-one would ever know. Have a great time. ;)

Mandy2003 Tue 21-Jun-11 14:31:45

If it's good enough for Vivienne Westwood...

Numberfour Tue 21-Jun-11 14:32:39

ew.

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:34:39

I am just worried my completely daft shoes will get caught in the skirt, I will fall flat on my face and the skirt will flip up to reveal all (at least I'll be lovely and cool that way!wink

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:35:58

NumberFour, why 'ew?' This thing is 8 layers thick!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 21-Jun-11 14:37:17

I wouldn't dare go commando at a formal occasion. Sod's Law would kick in with a vengeance and a highly unlikely but excruciating scenario like the one the OP describes would ensue.

Disclaimer though: I'm too much of a wimp to ever go commando anyway.

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:38:50

Thinking about it, it isn't 'hooped' so is unlikely to flip up in a dramatic -wobbly- bare assed fashion.

waitfortheblackout Tue 21-Jun-11 14:39:21

wow i'd never go commando.

what if you get all hot and sweaty?!

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:39:22

Whoops wobbly

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:41:42

I will be hot and sweaty, the dress is floor length so there will be no air circulating under it (from experience, wore similar dress last year)

madwomanintheattic Tue 21-Jun-11 14:44:14

just don't decide to ride any mechanical bulls on the way home.

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:46:08

madwoman you have sussed what type of ball it will be, I would NEVER attempt a mechanical bull, that is my daft DH's domain!

Triphid Tue 21-Jun-11 14:46:44

Do you have a piccie of said dress Ginger? Would love to see it....

ExitPursuedByAKitten Tue 21-Jun-11 14:49:21

Ooh yes - photo please. And no - I would be too worried that I would fall over drunk and reveal things I wouldn't want too. Can't your research undies that wick away the sweat a la horse rugs?

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 14:49:33

Triphidwww.verbdresses.co.uk/web-hosting/Prod/Xcite.php

PatriciaHolm Tue 21-Jun-11 14:52:13

I would, (and have, when I got married, as I decided right at the last minute that I had VPL!)

How many times have you seen someone fall over in a long dress so dramatically that you could see their pants? Ever?

issey6cats Tue 21-Jun-11 16:07:53

stunning dress cant see the scenario where you would fall over badly enough to see wether you have nickers on or not happening so why not go commando for once but also cant see how a couple of inches of cotton as in a thong will make you hot to me wouldnt be much different with or with out undies

CaveMum Tue 21-Jun-11 16:11:43

"mechanical bull" - it's not a military ball is it wink

Just two weeks ago I was in a floor length gown on a dodgems ride!

HuwEdwards Tue 21-Jun-11 16:15:37

Only if you're sure you won't get absolutely slaughtered and be tempted to flash at anyone.

Would think if it's hot and sweaty, a pair of cotton knickers would be more comfy than commando.

GingerWrath Tue 21-Jun-11 16:41:42

Wouldn't like to say CaveMum wink

HuwEdwards I am not the type to get slaughtered and to flash to all and sundry, I leave that sort of entertainment to those who are!

Hmmm, now big cotton pants are a definite option, or I get my machine out and fashion a pair out of one of DH's Helly Hansen type shirts <ponders emoticon>

bubblecoral Tue 21-Jun-11 16:46:32

I quite often go commando in dresses, I'm shocked that people find it wierd. But I do it because I don't want VPL, I've never thought of it as something that would make a difference to being hot.

Lovely dress btw

Well it's not satiny so you won't get a big damp bum crack shape on the back or VW Bonnet on the front at least!

It does look a little susceptible to the wind.

I have done my share of ballgown army dos and i used to just keep nipping outside for a waft! You're not going in a mini bus are you? That always involves a bit of gathering and exposure!

I would wear some pants and take a clutch and just take them off if i was too hot.

minipie Tue 21-Jun-11 16:51:02

Is it man made fibre? If so then I think you'll actually get less sweaty if you wear cotton pants underneath.

olderandwider Tue 21-Jun-11 16:52:33

Just make sure you shave grin

I am laughing at vision of OP toppling backwards and her hoops and petticoats inverting into a frilly arch, flashing her unprotected nethers and scandalising the older guests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now