Talk

Advanced search

DANGEROUS SITUATION?!!

(14 Posts)
stickyj Tue 21-Jun-11 13:22:33

We had some work done this morning by a Virgin Media guy, whilst I was out, No 2 son supervised. Something to do with the internet access etc.. No2 son gone out and phoned to say that the green box further down the road, the electricity box has been left wide open.

I then spent ages trying to get through to V Media and when I sopke to the guy, he said that he'd reported it and it would be dealt with in the next 48hours!! I told him that this box is on a main school route, loads of littlies who might just touch stuff. He said that if anyone got electrocuted, they shouldn't have been touching in the first place and it wasn't their responsibility!! They apparently have no engineers to come out and lock the box! I asked him if the guy that left it open shouldn't be contacted to come and lock it, but he's already doing other jobs.

Apart from the serious injury/death angle, if someone messes with the box, we all lose TV/Broadband etc etc. No2 son closed the doors but really!!

WWYD?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 21-Jun-11 13:26:33

I'd phone them back, tell the person you speak to what you have just been told and say that this is totally unacceptable, it is a health and safety risk and you will be phoning the council to report it to them and also the local paper because you are sure they will love a story about virgin media putting children at risk.

stickyj Tue 21-Jun-11 13:28:39

I might just phone the council anyway, mind you, some jobsworth will tell me to phone Virgin and I'll have spent hours on the phonegrin

clayre Tue 21-Jun-11 13:28:55

I would phone the local non emergancy police and let them know!

cwtch4967 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:29:17

I would phone environmental health at the local council or the local Health and Safety Executive - this is a danger to the public and should be sorted ASAP.

stickyj Tue 21-Jun-11 13:30:39

I'll try En Health and see how I get on! I'll let you know!

knittedbreast Tue 21-Jun-11 13:30:44

sady this is standard practise. why the fuck are they along the roads anyway? cant they have then underground or something? always seem to be near schools oo

niceguy2 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:31:00

Just wait to some local scally sets fire to the box, they'll be out a bit quicker then.

stickyj Tue 21-Jun-11 13:37:53

Council can't help, am phoning virgin again!

stickyj Tue 21-Jun-11 13:41:02

Ok complained to a very nice man. Apparently the green boxes don't carry live currents so no-one would get electrocuted if they touch it. I've just wasted half an hour worrying about "fried infants"!

Frizzbonce Tue 21-Jun-11 13:45:19

Good for you for making fuss though. And not thinking it was someone else's problem. xx

zelda1982 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:51:40

There's one opposite us that is always getting broke into (luckily its not connected to us) and is left wide open for weeks on end, gets fixed then a few days later open again. I think if there was a danger they'd make them harder to open.

HellAtWork Tue 21-Jun-11 13:57:31

Well done for checking OP don't things the can electrocute you usually have that picture of a man being struck by a lightening bolt? Sounds like first person you spoke to was a complete arse and could be complained about if you wanted to spend a further few hours wasting your life on VMedia! I vote for a cup of tea instead!

WhoAteMySnickers Tue 21-Jun-11 14:00:11

Any boxes carrying live currents are fenced off, heavy duty locked and as HellAtWork pointed out, covered in warning signs.

The guy you spoke to on the phone sounds like a jobsworth arsehole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now