Talk

Advanced search

to think this is rude

(34 Posts)
knittynoodle Tue 21-Jun-11 10:54:44

Friend has become a bit of a bridezilla. Getting married next year on week long a holiday - shes sent invitations out and is complaining that no one has RSVP-ed. Ive tried explaining that people might have to have a while to think about it, given that its a week away, perhaps they have to check their dates etc.

Also, she only sent them in May. Its only June now. And she didnt include an RSVP card or return envelope, just a general invite card. So perhaps people are still going out and buying an RSVP card etc and all that takes time.

Anyway I DID RSVP. And she has said not one word. No thanks, nothing. Given the stink shes made about this, perhaps thanking the people that have replied would be a good thing. I asked her partner if they received my card (in passing while we were talking about something else) and he said 'er, maybe, i dont know, I opened some. Cant remember from who. I'll remind wifey to look for yours'

Ive spoken to her twice since and nothing. You can probably tell Im a stickler for manners blush AIBU to be pissed off about this? Id just like an acknowledgement after listening to the bitching!

Pictish Tue 21-Jun-11 10:56:37

Yabu. And maybe a bit bored as well.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 21-Jun-11 10:57:16

Yes YAabitU. You expect to be thanked for replying to an invite? Then what. Do you thank her for thanking you for replying to the invite? Must she then thank you for thanking her for thanking you for replying to the invite? grin

If she is getting on your nerves with the bridezilla behaviour I can understand that you might be a bit narky but I think it's OTT to expect to be thanked for sending back a yes to an invite!

Eglu Tue 21-Jun-11 10:57:40

If she didn't put in an RSVP card or a date then she can't really complain that people haven't got back to her.

But I think you are being a bit oversensitive about her not responding to your rsvp.

Mamaz0n Tue 21-Jun-11 10:57:48

are you supposed to rsvp rsvp's?

i think you're being a little precious tbh

Pictish Tue 21-Jun-11 10:58:13

I agree with TakemeDrunk.
Styop being so needy OP.

AngryFeet Tue 21-Jun-11 10:58:14

You want a thanks for RSVPing? hmm

It is stressful in the lead up to a wedding - give her a break.

ConnorTraceptive Tue 21-Jun-11 10:58:14

I think expecting an rsvp for and rsvp is a tad ridiculous

knittynoodle Tue 21-Jun-11 10:59:09

No, you arent expected to RSVP RSVP's. But if youve moaned and moaned about people not doing it, you would expect a 'oh but thanks for yours!'

ConnorTraceptive Tue 21-Jun-11 10:59:38

I don't think she's being a bridzilla particularly I think she's just very nervous and is imagining the worse about noone turning up for the wedding!

knittynoodle Tue 21-Jun-11 10:59:52

Its not really a lead up either, she has well over a year.

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 11:01:25

Aww cut her some slack she's probably very excited, that's all smile

ConnorTraceptive Tue 21-Jun-11 11:01:41

maybe she doesn't realise you have replied. Why don't you just say in passing Oh did you get my RSVP

<good grief emoticon>

Mamaz0n Tue 21-Jun-11 11:27:13

it may be "well over a year" but if it is abroad then there will be a lot more organising needing with flights and hotels etc.

I don't think it is bu to be wanting at least a rough idea of who is intending on coming. even if they can't give a confirmed yes or no

buzzsore Tue 21-Jun-11 11:31:25

YABU

Lancelottie Tue 21-Jun-11 11:31:54

Going for a week for a wedding??

Is that abroad?

Sheesh. Not surprised no one has replied, they're probably still picking themselves off the ground.

knittynoodle Tue 21-Jun-11 11:32:23

She doesnt have to organise any of that. The guests book their own holiday through the company that she has chosen.

buzzsore Tue 21-Jun-11 11:35:30

Did you say yes? grin

knittynoodle Tue 21-Jun-11 11:37:13

I said no because it would cost me over £800. For couples its only £700 and my DP cant come. sad

But still, in the midst of the moaning, an acknowledgement that at least some people have RSVP-ed would be nice? I thought so anyway.

rubyrubyruby Tue 21-Jun-11 11:37:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pictish Tue 21-Jun-11 11:38:27

Good God OP. Haven't you got anything better to worry about?

You are actually arguing with people who point out she may have other concerns. Stop being so selfy!

Lulabellarama Tue 21-Jun-11 11:45:27

So you want her to thank you for telling her you're not going to her wedding?
YABU

ConnorTraceptive Tue 21-Jun-11 11:45:39

Well if she hasn't had many replies and the ones she's had are declining the invite (justifiable really cause of cost and time) then I suspect she's panicking a little.

Your being a bit mean tbh and I'm picturing you having a good old bitch with your real life friends about her.

Hammy02 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:49:23

Lancelottie I thought that. Expecting people to find a week's worth of holiday for someone's wedding? Unless it was immediate family or best mate, I wouldn't go.

Mammie81 Tue 21-Jun-11 12:02:01

I think if youve spoken to her a few times specifically about the RSVP's and shes not mentioned getting yours, then YANBU.

She probably should have put in cards and envelopes, that might have sped it up abit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now