Talk

Advanced search

TO POINT OUT DAFT RESEARCH...people tell one and a half LIES a day on average.

(13 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Tue 21-Jun-11 09:34:24

Well, you will all agree there are lies and lies....

Famous saying "THE greatest lies are told in silence"

In a way they are; and we have all done some of that.

PORKIES? yeh, pretty commonplace. In another way it is sometimetimes difficult to establish a truth

We had better establish what lies are? they are deliberately making a false statement. NOT making a mistake.

GabbyLoggon Tue 21-Jun-11 09:43:27

just to add some jobs require a lot of fibbing. Politics at the top Ditto BUSINESS....almost all selling jobs.

InTheNightKitchen Tue 21-Jun-11 09:57:10

People tell one and half lies every day?

I never lie. blush

Well actually, maybe I do a bit, but not much. grin

giraffesCantZumba Tue 21-Jun-11 10:00:26

i told that many today already - told lady opposite her snoring not annoying. And said i ok but feel shit.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 21-Jun-11 10:03:49

YABU to point it out. Being 100% truthful can get someone into deep shit.

Lunabelly Tue 21-Jun-11 10:12:46

I'll lie slightly to spare someone's feelings, and/or to be diplomatic "No no, your kids bogging over our garden fence and watching my every move is totally fine, don't worry, but as for others...well, put it this way, I'm not suited to cold calling jobs.
"I quite agree with you sir and I am so sorry for calling you with this rubbish" then walking out...

I could never have an affair or something really big, because A) my conscience would never let me sleep again and B) I'm a crap liar. A REALLY crap liar. Totally fecking transparent really...
Man I'd be one shit criminal.

GabbyLoggon Tue 21-Jun-11 10:14:19

luna point taken

How do you tell half a lie?

Lunabelly Wed 22-Jun-11 07:25:45

"You look great in that dre....no actually, I cannot lie..."

That's roughly half I reckon.

GabbyLoggon Wed 22-Jun-11 09:30:35

I emphasise that to be called a liar, you have to do it deliberately.

Someone makes a mistake and some points it out. and the response is
"would you make me a liar over that?" Mistakes are NOT lies.

Lunabelly Wed 22-Jun-11 09:38:47

I myself would classify a liar as someone who habitually and wilfully tells untruths. Little white lies, I would classify as a necessary part of civilised living.

GabbyLoggon Wed 22-Jun-11 10:11:49

thats fair enough luna.

Let me mention one category and I feel sad for them

The bloke who when you say something he always tops it. Often with direct
lies. Like "I was at the cup final" when he was not

I have met two men like this and was not sure whether they knew what they were doing. Or that we soon rumbled them

Met that type?

Lunabelly Wed 22-Jun-11 10:20:28

Yep...but I think it's done to big-up themselves rather than out of mischief or malice. Those blokes are probably deeply insecure and feel the need to make themselves for appealing and interesting...far worse are the REALLY nasty people, who wheedle into your life with lies and then set out to destroy you, then pile lie upon lie once they are rumbled.

My life was damn near destroyed by one of those a couple of years ago, ended up having to get the police involved and ended up on anti-depressants. That is the wrong type of lie.

But other lies I think are just hyperbole, and some just smoothing the waters. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now