Talk

Advanced search

to not understand why people can't do links on MN?

(29 Posts)
MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 00:46:14

Two brackets the web address. Put a space and then some explanatory text if required Finish with two more brackets

So like this:
[[ www.randomwebaddress.co.uk here's the link ]]

BUT WITHOUT THE GAPS BY THE BRACKETS (otherwise it would try and link iyswim)

Those struggling - why not practise here and link us to something you think we'll find interesting.

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 00:47:39

Oh bugger it. I completely fucked up the OP.
Will attempt to retire gracefully and go to bed.

piprabbit Tue 21-Jun-11 00:48:11

I know how to link - it's just sometimes I get carried away and miss out a bracket somewhere blush.

<considers self suitably told off by Mardy>

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 00:49:32

That's OK piprabbit - we all make mistakes as you can tell by my OP.

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 00:50:52

This isn't a telling off thread - it's a come here and practise linking thread.

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 00:53:35

Sorry but I've just snorted my tea over my screen...way to go OP grin

I'm lazy, I just click the 'convert links automatically' button under the reply box blush

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 00:58:01

worraliberty
I'm just hoping that this embarrassment of an OP will disappear overnight from active convos. (Mind you the last time I buggered up a thread, some bastards mean people kept bumping it).

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 00:59:11

YANBU

It was clear that any link on this thread was going to be messed up

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 01:00:30

Worra
I do the bracket thing cause it looks nicer than having a link in the post.

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jun-11 01:01:01

I keep noticing people cocking it up. It is really irritating. I can't be arsed to copy and paste from a touchscreen (it's fiddly and temperamental) to view something that is nine times out of ten utter bilge from The Daily Mail.

worraliberty Tue 21-Jun-11 01:01:38

Bumping a thread with a fuck up in the OP is both mean and childish.

<Sets alarm to go off every hour through the night>

wink

maras2 Tue 21-Jun-11 01:01:56

Sorry Mardy, you must be referring to Maras the thick,now please direct me to the 'How to use Emoticons ' classroom . Mx.

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 01:04:45

I will admit to not knowing how to do italics. Where do get those little upward arrows on an iMac keyboard.

piprabbit Tue 21-Jun-11 01:07:06

I've just googled iMac keyboard images - and it looks like the ^ is on the 6 key just like my Dell.

TheNightNurse Tue 21-Jun-11 04:30:44

I'd like to practice linking. I found something that you might find interesting. And funny.

What's the bet I fuck it up?

Daily Mail Song

TheNightNurse Tue 21-Jun-11 04:31:09

OooOh! I did it!!

Bloodymary Tue 21-Jun-11 08:27:24

www.kgbdeals.co.uk

Bloodymary Tue 21-Jun-11 08:29:17

Ooh I have done it. I was always to lazy busy to bother before.

P.S. you do get some good deals on here.

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 08:59:57

oh yes there's the italics button I've spent months wondering about that (obviously not hard enough to look properly) blush Thanks piprabbit

Pat on the back to NightNurse and BloodyMary.

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 09:00:38

^Can you do bold and italics together?^

MardyBra Tue 21-Jun-11 09:00:50

Er no.

NetworkGuy Tue 21-Jun-11 09:50:26

No, there's no need for it to 'go away'. The OP was not messed up - the explanation on > the thread < was correct. Layout might have been more compact (but then again I've been criticised for writing essays and boring readers, so feel free to tell me off too!).

Sometimes I make links, sometimes I just post a URL and leave it to others to decide if they are interested enough. I often use tinyurl.com or is.gd when a URL is very long (because MN used to insert spaces and bugger up links cause confusion).

I sometimes add the > markers < either side of a link because it doesn't always seem clear to me when someone has posted a link, so I tend to give some emphasis...

Well done for bringing it up, and while it is helpful, I think some will still have problems simply because even c+p can be awkward with some machines, and others don't seem to have some of the characters (I still don't know how to get '#' on my Apple machines, so tend to use them for music and reading technical sites rather than attempting to post from the darn things).

stubbornhubby Tue 21-Jun-11 10:34:30

I think there is only one place worth linking to from this thread

Something very interesting...

Sewmuchtodo Tue 21-Jun-11 11:02:07

I am one of the silly people who didn't know how!

Have a peek at our fab meet up......well if it has worked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now