Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not letting my 6 year old go to green lantern movie

(22 Posts)
sarahbarah Mon 20-Jun-11 22:32:53

my son's friend and his dad have invited DS to movie on sat, all excited and very nice of them but, naively thought movie was a cartoon or something kiddish , but now realise it a 12 movie, with usual violence, not something i would encourage but am i the bad spoil sport if i pull him out of it, both boys are so excited , what should i do.

mitziw Mon 20-Jun-11 22:34:15

well they wont get in will they?

fluffles Mon 20-Jun-11 22:35:30

is it a 12A?

if so then it's ok for under 12s with an adult.. so they will get in. up to you if you think it'll be appropriate.. i don't know green lantern comics so no idea if they'll be 'cartoonish violence' or quite dark.

fluffles Mon 20-Jun-11 22:36:08

oh, acutally, just remembered there's a website somewhere that they outline exactly what a movie is like for parents to decide... some other poster might know the website address...

Lorelai Mon 20-Jun-11 22:37:04

Yes there is - pbbfc.co.uk

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 22:37:38

It's a 12a so they will get in if they're with an adult. If you don't feel it's suitable you'll have to say no. Suggest another film or outing instead.

Lorelai Mon 20-Jun-11 22:40:12

Just had a read of the advice on Green Lantern and I wouldn't let a 6 yr old watch it - not just violence (including a headbutt) but also some mild bad language. 12A basically means that BBFC would suggest that it is not suitable for under 12s but they leave it up to parents to decide. If they felt it was suitable for a 6 yr old then it would be a PG.

Ultimately it is your decision though; you know your child best.

BelfastBloke Mon 20-Jun-11 22:40:27

Well watch the trailer online - it shows most of the story and allusions to the action scenes/fighting. 6 yrs old seems young to me, but you may disagree.

sarahbarah Mon 20-Jun-11 22:47:22

when i got the 'can he come can he come' at the school gates i stupidly said yeah lovely whats the movie? should know by now to ask what is the movie first, it apparently is a movie this kid has been waiting ages for, each to their own i suppose

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 22:50:25

I posted on your other thread about this. I'm considering letting my 10 and 12 year old see it, but there's no way I'd consider it for the 7 year old.

sarahbarah Mon 20-Jun-11 22:52:01

oops i didnt mean to post twice, not been here for ages sorry all

My 14 yr old son went on Sunday... and had to leave.

Granted he has autism and learning difficulties so he is probably younger (hard to put an age on him.. in some ways he is 14 in others he is 5!) but he found it wayyyyy too scary and jumpy. Usually he isn't phased and sat through the last Harry Potter no problem.

His carer who took him said that she felt it wasn't a 12 a film at all, and should have a higher rating as several other children also left....she felt awful that he had been scared when he wanted to see it...

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 22:59:41

Oh damn. I though the 10 year old would be OK as he's seen HP, Percy Jackson and Clash if the Titans and been OK.

Anyone else been?

Kiwiinkits Tue 21-Jun-11 04:52:10

6 is way too young for that movie, IMO. God at that age I got totally freaked out by 101 Dalmations! It's your job to protect his innocence, a bit. You won't be a spoil sport if you take them to something more age-appropriate. Take them bowling or something? Just say that the Government doesn't let kids under 12 in; they're not going to know all the subtleties around the rule.

NearlySpring Tue 21-Jun-11 06:53:58

Well my dd loves all the marvel comics and films and I'm taking her to see it at the weekend. She is just 7.

I think it depends on the type of child he is, his personality, behaviour and fears. You know him best, don't be worried about saying no if you don't feel it's appropriate.

My daughter has seen all the x men films, transformers, pirates of the carribean, fantastic four etc. She is able to hear mild bad language and not repeat it (they hear it at school anyway- hearing a bad word on a film isn't going to make much difference) and she isn't aggresive or violent. If she was a child who had a tendency to repeat bad language or fight lots or was emotionally delicate then Id not let her see it.

Jennytailia Tue 21-Jun-11 07:31:29

My DP took my children to see it, they are 6 and 8. They love that sort of thing.

If you are not happy with it then explain to the other parent.

Do you think your DS wouldn't enjoy it then or is it your opinion of the film that is stopping you?

I love the way that the website tells you all of the bad words in the film grin. DH has told our just 6 year old that he can go on Saturday too so I was going to check this out. The only bit that I am a bit concerned about is the hypodermic needle that that site says is in it but like the last poster DS has heard lots more bad words from us probably and doesn't repeat them and is not violent.

CheerfulYank Tue 21-Jun-11 07:42:55

I wouldn't personally (it's got a PG-13 rating here) but I'm quite prudish about things like that. I work at our local cinema a few days a week and it was extremely hard not to pull a cat's bum mouth at the parents taking their kids to Hangover II. smile

wingedangel Tue 21-Jun-11 07:46:17

I've seen it. Was a bit surprised to see young kids there. I found it quite scary!! The bad guy is v creepy and there is the usual 'its the end of civilisation unless green lantern can save the world in the face of unlikely odds'

I think there is no harm in leaving some films until they are a bit older, can actually understand the plot and follow the jokes.

Oh forgot about hector the other baddie. He is totally freaky and kills people by engulfing them in flames. I clutched at my boyfriends hand several times!

Jennytailia Tue 21-Jun-11 07:47:13

I have to add that DP also took DSS who is 10 and he thought it was scary, and didn't really like it.

Depends on the child I suppose

celebmum Tue 21-Jun-11 08:03:31

I saw this film last night, its your typical comic book hero type, think 'spiderman' similar to transformers, daredevil, the new star trek, that kind of thing, filled with special effects ( eg when the mini helicopter is about to crash the 'hero' uses his power to create a green F1 type race track To catch it so it doesn't crash hmm )

I wouldn't class this film as scary but there are 1 or 2 exciting 'jumpy' bits.. The 'baddie' IMO is no way scarier than the dementors in Harry potter!! grin

sarahbarah Tue 21-Jun-11 10:29:56

i think im not a fan of action movies anyway and as a mum with swearing and in your face violence i probably would not have even considered it for him, funnily enough i would consider kung fo panda, which prob is as bad but doesnt concern me as much because it under the disguise of a cartoon,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now