Talk

Advanced search

To think that 'some' morbidly obese people are in denial as to why they are morbidly obese?

(32 Posts)
M0naLisa Mon 20-Jun-11 21:24:13

Just watching Embarrassing Fat Bodies on Channel 4 right now and a bloke has just been into the mobile embarrassing bodies clinic, its in this Doncaster this week. He told Dr Christian that he only has to look at food and he puts weight on. Dr C then asked him what is his downfall, bloke said chocolate, Dr C asked him what kind of chocolate and the bloke showed with his hands a MASSIVE bar of chocolate and he eats one of those per night?!

Now is it just me or is some morbidly obese people are in denial about why they are so big?

My auntie used to be massive she weighed about 24st(my guessing could have been bigger, she used to get into my dads car and it would tilt to her side) she used to say she didnt know why she was big, but my dad said she sits there on a night and eat a packet biscuits with lots of sugar in her tea, cakes and buns.

Now i know this may cause some controversy but i just dont understand some people.
<dons hard hat>

headfairy Mon 20-Jun-11 21:25:03

You're going to need that hard hat!

K999 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:26:52

I fail to see how anyone who eats several bars of chocolate every night will not think that this may contribute to their weight...confused

M0naLisa Mon 20-Jun-11 21:27:19

damn its posted twice. Blardy laptop.

GypsyMoth Mon 20-Jun-11 21:27:20

nwhy would you need a hard hat??

its true......put too much in and dont use it,its stored as fat. end of

very,very rarely is it due to a 'medical condition'

TastesLikePanda Mon 20-Jun-11 21:27:36

Yeah, I hear you. I'm very overweight but I know it's because I eat too many takeaways, too many cakes and I am rubbish at portion control...
DH can't understand why he's overweight too, yet he used to drink 2l bottles of full sugar coke, eats pastry at almost every lunch (sausage rolls, pasties etc) and eats at least one bar of chocolate every day...

I'm not in denial, I'm trying hard but I reward myself with food which is a cycle i'm trying to break.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 20-Jun-11 21:28:58

I don't understand people who watch crappy freak show style tv programmes and then try to discuss them like they're actually serious. Apart from being utter shite, It Is All Said For Effect. Just had to point that out. YABU to believe a word of it and take it seriously.

headfairy Mon 20-Jun-11 21:29:56

No Tiffany, but I reckon a lot of people feel they have a psychological condition... an addiction to food if you like.

GypsyMoth Mon 20-Jun-11 21:29:56

dont forget though,exercise is needed....and proper exercise,not just a stroll round town!

frownieface Mon 20-Jun-11 21:29:59

Dr Christian himself said that 99 times out of 100, it is down to over eating.

In the words of Ricky Gervais, 'instead of eating 10 pie and chips a day, have 9 pie and chips' grin

M0naLisa Mon 20-Jun-11 21:30:19

ermm its on TV now embarrassing bodies not a freak show they have some good advice on this show

GypsyMoth Mon 20-Jun-11 21:30:46

headfairy....why is it never an addiction to salads though?confused

M0naLisa Mon 20-Jun-11 21:30:58

Frownieface grin

M0naLisa Mon 20-Jun-11 21:31:29

Tiffany because salads are boring grin

headfairy Mon 20-Jun-11 21:32:31

well I know... but salad doesn't give you the hormonal kick that chocolate does... pleasure centres aren't tweaked quite so much by salad hence the bodies response to salad isnt' so pleasureable and therefore addictive.

K999 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:32:44

It's perhaps not a case of being in denial, more a case of why some over eat. For some it's a vicious circle.

I smoke. I know it's bad for me. I still do it.

I have a stressful job. I get through a morning. I go outside and reward myself with a cigarette hmm I should be breaking the vicious circle but I would replace that with chocolate.....

I should not feel I have to reward myself, but I do.....but I'm not in denial about the effect it is having on my health ...

FabbyChic Mon 20-Jun-11 21:33:50

Fat people always have an excuse, they cannot see further than the meal they are eating, or the fat drinks they are drinking.

twolittlemonkeys Mon 20-Jun-11 21:34:38

YANBU, I'm sure some of them are in denial. DH is obese, his mum was obese and his dad is very obese. His mum had problems with her knees when she was alive (related to the extra weight she was carrying) and his dad has type 2 diabetes (recently diagnosed) and heart problems (quadruple heart bypass in his 50s etc). DH and his dad are absolutely indifferent to their size, make no effort to control what they eat, act as if it's inevitable that they'll die of heart problems so what's the point? DH gets upset if I even suggest eating healthily/ dieting and says if you lose weight by dieting you'll just put it all back on again when you start eating normally hmm Er, well yes if you go back to eating loads of crap and extra-large portions of everything, but if you just eat moderately then it'll stay off! ARGH! I am genuinely concerned that DH will die prematurely of something linked to being overweight but feel powerless to do anything. If I feed him a normal-size portion at dinner he'll make himself 3 or 4 slices of cheese on toast later on. He's completely in denial about his calorie intake and has no clue about eating healthily nor does he wish to be educated it would seem. Yet he's a very intelligent man and can't not realise how bad all this food is for him, so he must just be in denial. Sigh

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 20-Jun-11 21:35:23

I know it's on now, I get that, thanks. What you don't get is that Embarrassing Bodies and its ilk are not instructive tv, they are for people like you to gawp at the poor unfortunates and come on here to slag them off. Like all tv of this kind, it's all set up, they are told what to say and people like you lap it up. See the thread last week on this show. It's the tv equivalent of queueing up to see the residents of Bedlam.

joric Mon 20-Jun-11 21:35:33

I agree! I eat too much and a lot of it is rubbish!! ( licks lips after slice of pizza) Why don't I stop? How long have you got????!!! smile

GypsyMoth Mon 20-Jun-11 21:35:36

chocolate....no way. now tiger bread,well thats a different story. its sat in the kitchen now,purrrrring at me....but i've been for a run,shall i ruin my hard work or treat myself for my hard work!?

i will probably cut two slices,and then be good and just eat the one!!grin

joric Mon 20-Jun-11 21:36:09

Agree with OP that is!

Fat people eat too much?? No way!! Who knew??
FWIW, I used to be a size 22. I'm now a 12/14. How? I eat less. Frankly, it drives me nuts and I'd love to eat continually, but I have to control it, otherwise I'll be fat again and I'm sorry, but I hated every fucking minute of being that fat.
I do get it - trust me, I have the HUGE teeshirts, etc etc.. but there's only one way to lose it. It sucks. I have sympathy for people but if they're adults, they get it. they choose to ignore it.

(off to sip my low calorie cup of tea. Gah)

joric Mon 20-Jun-11 21:37:55

Fabbychic you're just lovely. (eats another slice)

incidentally, Gwendoline - bloody good post. Just about sums up the entire thing. I have never watched the program, this won't encourage me too, either. Car crash television.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now