Talk

Advanced search

DD won't feed herself

(5 Posts)
PinkSchmoo Mon 20-Jun-11 21:20:43

DD is 2.2yo.

She will give herself finger foods and can spoon feed herself yogs, fruit pots. The things she really likes.

But can I get her to feed herself dinner? Turns into a hugely stressful bunfight.

Also, she will not eat from a spoon anything that had lumps in it - gags and refuses.

Looking for advice on how to get her to feed herself dinner. I realise I have let her get into really bad habits were I am feeding her meals which are still pretty pureed.

Any ideas what I should be giving her for dinners to transition from slops to proper food (and I do mean proper menu ideas).

Thanks!

PinkSchmoo Mon 20-Jun-11 21:22:16

Sorry meant to post this in parenting.

Will try to move over but all advice welcome.

K999 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:23:06

I used to let dd2 eat everything with her hands...spag Bol included. She is 4 now and van use a fork/spoon. I didn't think there was much point making a fuss tbh. My main goal was that she ate/tried everything I put down to her...smile

MmeLindor. Mon 20-Jun-11 21:26:00

I would just go with finger food as much as possible or things she can use her hands for.

So give her wraps with bolognese sauce inside. Or pita bread filled with chicken.

Don't make a battle out of it, put it down in front of her. If she eats it fine, praise her. If not, shrug and move on.

Blatherskite Mon 20-Jun-11 21:41:29

I bought DS and then DD a Salmon Luke bowl set which makes feeding themselves really easy and that seemed to help. Once it was easier to get the food on the spoon and fork, DD especially seemed to really take to it. We've been using it for a couple of months and now she won't let me feed her, she has to do it herself!!!

The other thing I did which helped with fussy DD was to mix things she liked with stuff she wasn't so keen on like peas in with her beans. She'll now eat peas when she never would before. Maybe put some lumps in with her favourite yoghurt and see how she does?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now