Talk

Advanced search

to be sad that my youngest DC can reach the lightswitch?

(23 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 20-Jun-11 19:46:47

I know there's many ComingOFAge moments, but this has always been a biggy in my family.

I can remember the elation I felt when I could achieve this when I was 6, albeit on tippetytoes.

But today is a sad day for me, when I saw ChaoticBoy turn the light on.

[sentimental old fool]

Stopping breastfeeding.

<<sob>>

Pulling their own blanket up.

<<weep>>

First day of school.

<<bawl>>

Wiping own harris.

<<blubber>>

wink

What milestones are poignant for you?

smile

worraliberty Mon 20-Jun-11 19:48:59

Get an electrician to move the switch up a few feet grin

GingerWrath Mon 20-Jun-11 19:54:16

Ours are really low in the house we are in now so DD had been able to reach them since she was 3. We should be moving in the next few months so she won't be able to reach them again! grin

worraliberty Mon 20-Jun-11 19:57:01

Oh 3 would worry me incase they had wet hands.

I got a leccy shock like that myself...except I was 24 at the time blush

GingerWrath Mon 20-Jun-11 20:02:20

House came with job so not much choice, she was very well supervised!

strawberrie Mon 20-Jun-11 20:04:57

I am sad that my 2.2 year old daughter can now reach the yale lock on the front door and let herself out (well as far as the common stairwell, we live in a flat) - will need to train myself now to keep the chain on during the day!

StayFrosty Mon 20-Jun-11 20:06:46

Ds 20 months has just graduated from nodding/shaking his head to uttering very gruff 'yeh' or 'noh' to questions. I should be pleased he is talking but his head nodding in particular was very very cute. sad

AgentZigzag Mon 20-Jun-11 20:08:43

I was a bit sad when I noticed yesterday that 18 MO DD2 couldn't get under the door of the fridge without banging her head when I opened it.

I'm going to stop feeding her, she's getting far too big grin

She also got her first grazed knee out walking this morning <<silent tears dropping on keyboard>>

worraliberty Mon 20-Jun-11 20:09:18

Sounds like he's gone straight to being a teenager Frosty grin

Hassled Mon 20-Jun-11 20:10:50

Not being able to pick them up. Soon I won't be able to pick DC4 up - it's a struggle already.

And then - your PFB moving in with his GF grin. That was a milestone and a half.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 20-Jun-11 20:15:45

Oh mine is that DD is now getting to the stage where she is a bit embarassed of me! Wants nothing more than a quick cuddle at the school gates, anything else results in a muuuuuuuuum!

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 20-Jun-11 22:26:31

Lawks Hassled, I'm sure that monumental event is whizzing along faster than I know it.

[gulp]

caramelwaffle Mon 20-Jun-11 22:28:15

Oh YA so NBU <sob>

StayFrosty Mon 20-Jun-11 22:44:20

grin worraliberty. He does love to get hold of his willy at any and every opprtunity so you could be on to something there.

cat64 Mon 20-Jun-11 23:03:09

Message withdrawn

I've hit two big milestones this year - all my sons are now taller than I am, and my eldest is learning to drive. Next one is him going to university in September 2012.

<<marks self no longer wanted on voyage and packs self away for the loft>>

RedGreenBlue Mon 20-Jun-11 23:17:20

My son has achondroplasia, so it'll be a while yet before he reaches the lightswitch. But when he manages it, yeah I think I'll shed a tear of pride.

NearlySpring Mon 20-Jun-11 23:22:51

My house is a new build and disabled friendly so all light switches are very low and plug sockets are high (more obvious for little one). Drives me crackers as even toddlers can reach the light switches.

Maryz Mon 20-Jun-11 23:25:14

ds2 informed me today that he is taller than me shock. I don't think he is (quite), but I refuse to be measured.

I'm 5'7, ds1 is well over 6 foot, dd at least an inch taller than me and ds2 has grown 5 1/2 inches since September shock. I think I'm probably the smallest in the house now (but I refuse to admit it, yet grin).

I'm redundant sad.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 20-Jun-11 23:30:09

OMG this reminds me of when my youngest was little & if anyone ever told her she was a big girl now, she'd rush towards the light switch reach up for it & announce she was still little as she couldn't reach it!!!!

I completely forgot she used to do that & I'd purposely tell her she was a big girl because I loved that reaction..... <goes to join OP in hysterical bawling>

blackeyedsusan Mon 20-Jun-11 23:36:22

ds has been able to reach them since about 2.5. he justs finds something to move across the room and stand on then turns them on off on off 100 times a minute.... perhaps he is really gifted and is using morse code? grin

startail Mon 20-Jun-11 23:44:32

We still have knots in the bathroom pull switch, they were to stop dd swinging off it as a toddler. She is now taller than me.
I'll cry buckets next July when both my girls will be off to senior school. Because of nursery I will have been doing that school run for over 11 years!

BettyTurnip Mon 20-Jun-11 23:45:24

I will fall to my knees and praise the Lord when my youngest can wipe her own Harris grin

<seven non-stop years of nappy changing; that's what you get for having three dc in rapid kids in succession emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now