Talk

Advanced search

To use my elbows on Wed?

(17 Posts)
shakey1500 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:44:15

...in order to gain some advantage in the parents race on my first ever school sports day? It's acceptable behaviour from a 41 year old right? Ds is 3 and it's his mini sports day on Wed and I'm informed there WILL be a parents race. I'm secretly insanely competitive but, despite having two arthritic hips (currently, touch wood, going through a good phase) I'm up against numerous 20year olds.

Any other sneaky underhanded tips I could utilise?

pfbornot Mon 20-Jun-11 19:47:17

The other mothers will be grateful that you are running so they don't have to.

ineedabodytransplant Mon 20-Jun-11 20:05:36

yes, tie all their laces together...grin

KurriKurri Mon 20-Jun-11 20:23:34

Set off slightly before the gun, and yes to elbows. If you're going to look as if you are trying, you have to win, or you'll look like an over competitive nit.

The alternative is to be very blase about the whole thing, and look as if you are letting the eager young ones win because it obviously matters to them. grin

KurriKurri Mon 20-Jun-11 20:24:17

<for examples of over competitive nits, cf the dads race>

LaWeasel Mon 20-Jun-11 20:24:56

Take your shoes off. Or proper running shoes.

That'll get 'em worried.

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 20-Jun-11 20:27:18

Running leggings, spikes, wrist bands. Do a full, very public warm up.

No one else will go near you wink

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 20-Jun-11 20:27:34

Spend a lot of time before the race "limbering up", do it with some real gusto, as though you know what your doing. Lots of loud mumbling about "hitting the wall" in the recent marathon you completed grin

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 20-Jun-11 20:28:42

Oh damn, Leo beat me to it with the warming up!

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 20-Jun-11 20:29:53

Can you limp up to the start line clutching your aching hips?

Lull them into a false sense of security?

Bluebell123 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:31:13

Definitely spikes, and wear a velcro fastening skirt like the girls in bucks fizz - so you can rip it off at the start line exposing your lycra shorts

shakey1500 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:36:47

OOhhh I'm liking the warm up routine <digs out Jane Fonda video circa 1980> <realises I don't have a video player anymore>

Good idea Chaos, they've frequently seen me walking like I've shat myself, the oesteo arthritis is in the hip bone on one side and hip joint on the other, sigh. Sods law now it'll flare up again. No, positive thinking.

Would a can of Red Bull help pre race?

OldMacEIEIO Mon 20-Jun-11 20:41:26

red bull is a no no

a cup of steroids or two bottles of wine dear

ineedabodytransplant Mon 20-Jun-11 20:42:52

many moons ago when my daughters were in primary school (they are 27 & 24 now) I got entered into the dads race. Now I get very competive and I was running hell for leather to win this race. Well, I say running hell for leather. My upper body was but my legs weren't. Think I slid the last 10 metres on my faceblush

KurriKurri Mon 20-Jun-11 20:46:59

grin @ineedabodytransplant - you've confirmed my long held opinion that the dads race is the funniest thing in the world. Testosterone city.

prettyone Mon 20-Jun-11 20:58:43

I always make sure I wear a good pad during sports day.

ineedabodytransplant Mon 20-Jun-11 21:05:26

Kurrikurri, no it was falling in an elegant waygrin

prettyone, now that statement brings up some odd images..smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now