Talk

Advanced search

to ask what you wish you had done (more of) before your dc arrived?

(74 Posts)
TheKidsAreAllWrong Mon 20-Jun-11 17:09:28

got about 6 months (all going well) and people keep telling me to "make the most of it" with a knowing you-have-no-idea-what's-about-to-hit-you-you-excited-fool expression...

so, i want to benefit from your regrets wink

what would you do if you had the 6 months left again?

jendot Mon 20-Jun-11 17:14:09

SLEEP!!!!!

Seabright Mon 20-Jun-11 17:14:24

Slept more. I thought everyone would think I was lazy in the month before DD arrived, if I didn't spend all my time cleaning/tidying/sorting etc.

Now, I wouldn't give a monkey's what they thought & would doze on the soft getting lots of rest and reading

TheOriginalFAB Mon 20-Jun-11 17:15:06

Gone out for meals more.
Had weekends away.
Read more books.
Slept.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 20-Jun-11 17:16:20

Laid around in bed naked all weekend watching films and eating in bed

Gone to the pub (I really miss the pub)

Shagging loudly

MrSpoc Mon 20-Jun-11 17:16:24

Travel. Have a holiday just me and the wife.

scarletfingernail Mon 20-Jun-11 17:16:52

Sleep, sleep some more and then sleep again.

Rosebud05 Mon 20-Jun-11 17:18:45

Anything that involves using both hands at the same time and not smelling of congealed milk grin.

bubblecoral Mon 20-Jun-11 17:20:00

Travelling definately.

stillfrazzled Mon 20-Jun-11 17:20:28

Travel. Will be years and years before we can, now.

pepperrabbit Mon 20-Jun-11 17:22:07

Read magazines (not about babies)
Read the Sunday papers - even the supplements.
Laze around on the sofa.
sleep, lots, and then a bit more.
Have a lie in every weekend.
Go to the cinema.
Go away for the weekend just the 2 of you.
Pack light - (it'll be years before you go anywhere with less than 10kg of handbag, and an entire articulated lorry of stuff for an overnight stay)
smile

DoodledGirl Mon 20-Jun-11 17:22:25

You can still travel - just not in the same way....

JamieAgain Mon 20-Jun-11 17:22:49

Sleep

DoodledGirl Mon 20-Jun-11 17:23:06

It's the little things like having more Sundays in bed all day with the papers and breakfast....sitting for hours in the pub....

JamieAgain Mon 20-Jun-11 17:24:01

Unfortunately, though, I don't think you can save sleep up to make up for the lack of it later on, so I'd say, savour reading a whole paper, finishing a cup of tea, and going to the toilet uninterrupted.

faintpositive Mon 20-Jun-11 17:24:17

defo sleep. Loads and loads of sleep. Cant describe the exhaustion to you, but it is so awful, it deeply drenches your bones, there is no catching up with it and scars you for life sad

also, i wish i had done a degree as i did my diploma and was traumatised by the work load and stress of it, so didnt go ahead and get my degree.
Now i wish i had bitten the bullet and done it. Couldnt possibly do it now.

kickingking Mon 20-Jun-11 17:24:50

To be honest, most of the things I wish I had done more were very practical when pregnant either (sleeping, buying nice clothes, shagging).

Maybe gone out for meals and to the cinema more grin

thestringcheeseincident Mon 20-Jun-11 17:25:10

Slept in.
Cinema
Dinners out
spontaneous travel
Oh and SLEPT

ShatnersBassoon Mon 20-Jun-11 17:25:19

I wish we'd been more spontaneous. It would have been fun.

JamieAgain Mon 20-Jun-11 17:26:25

Also, all this sleep thing. Pregnancy interferes with sleep too, so basically, you're pretty much buggered already.

TBH, I was getting a bit bored with pubs, eating out etc etc. I think I needed for it to go away for a bit so that I could fully appreciate it when it started to be possible again as the DCs got older

I agree Sunday mornings reading the papers in bed or in a coffee shop. Weekends away in boutique hotels/city breaks
As many nice restaurants as you can before you have to start apologising and picking up cutlery.
Long undisturbed baths
Browsing....anything really, just browsing...windows, shops, books, catalogues. Browsing has been eliminated now.

WastedYears Mon 20-Jun-11 17:27:19

Gone out for a meal or to the cinema. The last (only) time we went out was in 1996 and DC1 was born in 2005

faintpositive Mon 20-Jun-11 17:27:46

oh yes, simple things like meander around the supermarket looking at stuff, reading labels. I wish i had taken more time pre kids
Going to clothes shops, swishing in and out of shop doors without having to negotiate a pram and members of the public. I wish i had taken more time pre kids

Popping to the corner shop, going to the cinema on a whim. I wish we had done this more. Its been about 12 months since we have been to the cinema.

whatcakeydid Mon 20-Jun-11 17:27:52

Cinema definitely
Going out for dinner
Lying in on a weekend

JamieAgain Mon 20-Jun-11 17:27:53

Having a baby is really fun, honestly. The joy is worth the lack of sleep. Really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now