Talk

Advanced search

To think that Sky are taking the mick..

(10 Posts)
MorallyBankrupt Mon 20-Jun-11 14:19:51

AIBU to think that Sky are slightly taking the mick as for the last 2 months we've had hardly any reception on about half a dozen Sky channels which they tried to convince us was because of the weather.... When it was sunny and not windy, when it was raining, when it over overcast but not windy... Basically every type of weather apparently makes the dish stop working hmm

They have tried various 'downloads' which didn't work but they would still makes us wait a week to see if it magically started working before they would try anything else. So finally last Friday after 2 months paying for TV we couldn't watch they sent an engineer who retuned the dish and it strted working.

They think this is fine and dandy. While I'm thrilled it finally works I'm still annoyed they made us wait for 2 months to fix the problem and we had to pay for the TV the entire time when they knew we couldn't even watch it! Is it worth actually complaining or will they just tell me to be happy it actually works at last?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 20-Jun-11 14:22:08

Yeah, they probably won't give a shit.

You could always say that you wish to end your subscription. They'll ask why and you'll tell them and they'll offer you some goodies to stay.

I've done that about 5 times now grin

Disclaimer - if it doesn't work, you can't blame me grin

waitfortheblackout Mon 20-Jun-11 14:23:37

Don't know about Sky, we don't have it.

However, I am a bit hmm about the digital changeover. We keep losing our signal and every channel goes down for anything between a couple of minutes to several hours. I originally thought that was the weather but we lost the signal several times recently even during the lovely weather - so it's not just you!

I don't know if I'd complain. I'd want to, but not sure what good it would do. Who would actually read/hear it?

MorallyBankrupt Mon 20-Jun-11 14:26:06

I am actually considering cancelling after all this. I'm so very pussed off about paying for something we werent getting that I just don't want to give Sky another penny. Ever. Plus we could really do with not wasting £30 a month on it. I'd rather watch less TV and save the money for a holiday tbh.

Sidge Mon 20-Jun-11 14:26:09

Try phoning them and tell them you're switching to Virgin, because at least with cable there won't be any interference from the weather. That way you can actually watch the TV you're paying for.

They tend to offer stuff when they think you're going to leave them!

LatherRinseRepeatAsNeeded Mon 20-Jun-11 14:37:22

Good Luck trying to cancel. we took out a sky contract a few years ago, having just moved into a new rented house with a years contract, and unfortunately 6 months after we took it out, our landlord said they had to sell the house, or have it reposessed, we couldn't afford to purchase the property so started looking to move house.

We contacted Sky to tell them as much and ask if they could move our contract to the new house we had found (which had a sky dish already installed) and they refused, saying we had to take out a new contract and pay the old one, so we tried to cancel, again they refused. In the end, to save our credit record we ended up paying for 6 months of Sky (thank goodness it was the basic package) when we couldn't watch it at all sad

MorallyBankrupt Mon 20-Jun-11 14:45:39

Bloody sky. I regret the day we started with them.

M0naLisa Mon 20-Jun-11 14:52:03

When mine was doing that i told them that i wasnt happy with the service i had received and i am sure i got £20 knocked off my next bill. I am sure of it. You can try. Tell them you are thinking of moving to Virgin Media because of the awful CS.

Alohagirl Mon 20-Jun-11 15:29:38

We have had never ending problems with our Sky Boxes - have had around 4 or 5 of the sky+ HD boxes, because we have been getting loads of problems - no signal, things not recording, box freezing. They now say that we need a new satellite dish but the existing one is too high for them to replace (standard 2 story house...kind of makes me wonder how it got up there in the first place hmm anyway after making a couple of calls we now have free Sky for 6 months...so yes I would ring back and complain!

BabeRuthless Mon 20-Jun-11 15:31:55

Complain & tell them that you're thinking of cutting back some channels or moving to virgin. We've done that a few times & got free premium channels for a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now