Talk

Advanced search

to think adult males should not call their mothers "Mummy"

(81 Posts)
MamaLaMoo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:07:42

Brother and sister both professionals in their 30s call their mother Mummy to her in conversation, in letters and emails and between each other, this is said with a certain awkward little boy/girl voice.

Mother calls them by childhood pet names, daughter is "Honey Bunny". She buys them chocolate advent calendars every December, I could go on but you get the gist...

DH is the son, it all makes me want to yell "Eeeuuuuwwww! just stop now!"

Is this actually odd or is this because they are middle class English and I'm not?

BullieMama Mon 20-Jun-11 14:13:22

I don't like being called Mummy now and my DS is 7 but that is a WElsh thing - I am Mam end of grin

Your scenario reminds me of the bitty character in Little Britainshock !

AnyFucker Mon 20-Jun-11 14:14:27

you married this person ? shock

Hullygully Mon 20-Jun-11 14:15:21

I think it's sweet. I call my parents Mumsy and Dadsy-Wads and they call me their Special Girlie.

I remember visiting a house once with my mum. The lady called to one of her children in other room along the lines of "David go and tell daddy its nearly time for us to leave". My mum and I were stunned when a tall 17-18 yr lad bounded past us.

So mummy and daddy when you are an adult leaves me a bit hmm

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:16:49

I hope my son still calls me mummy when he is grown

wimpybar Mon 20-Jun-11 14:17:55

i used to work with some very very posh people who did this. it's quite sweet in a sickly way, very upper middle class i reckon

beatrixkitto Mon 20-Jun-11 14:18:06

BITTY grin

AuntieMonica Mon 20-Jun-11 14:18:36

I prefer 'Mumsy' a la Richard O'Brien in The Crystal Maze

grin

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 20-Jun-11 14:19:49

Terribly posh people call their parents mummy and daddy though, don't they? It's just us common folk who think it's silly. grin

You could always rip the piss out of him by laughing and saying "mummmmmeeeeee" etc. Or referring to her as mummy dearest.

Or you could tell him that it is the most unsexy thing ever and it makes you cringe.

Or you could ask him if he knows how ridiculous he sounds.

Or you could buy him a big pair of scissors so he can cut the cord.

As an aside, I simply have to know what her pet name for your husband is.

wimpybar thinking about it - the "daddy" in my post was a High Court Judge at the time so you may be on to something!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 20-Jun-11 14:24:16

Hullygully! grin

PissesGlitter Mon 20-Jun-11 14:24:21

OMFG!! it makes my skin crawl
i could just punch someone i know for doing this

also i find the word horny just as cringe worthy

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:27:46

hornydaddy

MamaChoo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:28:43

Horny, Pisses? I dont think anyone refers to their parents of either gender as Horny. Hully, you might correct me though?

DrGruntFotter Mon 20-Jun-11 14:29:50

Message withdrawn

giveitago Mon 20-Jun-11 14:30:22

I call my mummy, erm, mummy and I'm an adult female.
My dh calls his mum mummy as there's only one word for mum in his language and it's MUMMY and, yes, he's a horrible mummy's boy but it's the linguistics to blame.
In lots of UK cultures it's normal to call your parents mummy and daddy. My ds has started to call me mum and it doesn't feel right.

PissesGlitter Mon 20-Jun-11 14:31:24

sorry hahaha no i just meant it was another word that pissed me off haha

hornydaddy really???????? was there any need for that haha

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:32:18

I think it'sintesting that the use of mummy or daddy is connected with horny in your mind.

PissesGlitter Mon 20-Jun-11 14:33:53

well i did walk in on my mother a few times with step dad having a special cuddle (boak) haha

revolutionscoop Mon 20-Jun-11 14:34:48

I call my mother 'Mummy', but my father 'Dad' confused

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:34:55

sorry, should have been hornymummy then

AMumInScotland Mon 20-Jun-11 14:38:27

It's a cultural thing, some areas and some classes use mummy/daddy even as adults. I'd be more bothered by the silly childish voice though - that's much more a sign that they don't think of themselves as adults when they are with their mother.

Is DH a bit "tied to her apron strings" in other ways?

Xiaoxiong Mon 20-Jun-11 14:38:40

IME it goes like this, from most posh to least posh:
ma (pronounced "maw") - mummy - mum - mam - ma (pronounced "mah")

When we were little our mother was "mama" but has been shortened and speeded up and now comes out as ummAH. To others, I refer to her as "my mother" like DrGrunt. Wonder what my kids will call me!

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Jun-11 14:41:05

We have a lot of muvvers around here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now