Talk

Advanced search

to ask you to spread the word?

(11 Posts)
Glitterknickaz Mon 20-Jun-11 12:34:09

Next time you're tempted to use the words "retard", "spazz", "monged" etc., don't, and, more importantly, remember this: 1 in 5 people with a learning disability say they are attacked every week.

Shoesytwoesy Mon 20-Jun-11 12:38:51

well said my dd doesn't have a LD but she does get referred to as these things,

waitfortheblackout Mon 20-Jun-11 12:39:12

That's awful.

I never use words in this category and wouldn't tolerate it in other people - I challenge it in a non-confrontational way.

I don't really hear people using them very often so I am really shocked to hear that it is that prevalent.

I'm always surprised that there are people who would behave like that.

AtYourCervix Mon 20-Jun-11 12:41:26

I had a right go at DD1 this week for calling someone a retard on facebook. I was so bloody cross with her.

AtYourCervix Mon 20-Jun-11 12:42:16

it seems to be the 'in' insult along with gay sad

Glitterknickaz Mon 20-Jun-11 12:42:34

Link is to a mencap campaign by the way, please share.
I don't think the current press trend towards negativity for people with disabilities helps to be honest.

Madlizzy Mon 20-Jun-11 12:43:32

I've educated my children in what exactly these words mean, and they were shocked. They didn't think they meant anything. They now tell their mates off if they use them.

DogsBestFriend Mon 20-Jun-11 12:47:37

AYC you're not wrong. I came down like a ton of bricks upon DD1 recently, for calling DD2 a retard. She won't try it again, that's for sure!

Both DD1 and I were agape yesterday when one of her friends mentioned that DD1's seventeen year old BF had recently thrown a hot dog sausage at a deaf person because of that person's speech difficulties. My reaction was simple - that DD1s BF is not welcome in this house. What I found harder to understand still was the shocked, incredulous look my daughter's friend gave me when I said it! (I'm now working on ensuring that DD1 gets shot of him asap!)

It makes you wonder how the fuck some youngsters are dragged up, doesn't it?

FoofffyShmoofffer Mon 20-Jun-11 12:51:24

YY Glitterknickaz.

People can spout until they're blue in the face that this is now "accepted vocabulary" or some such, it damn well isn't.

WowOoo Mon 20-Jun-11 12:54:38

I'd never be tempted myself but I do hear them out and about. Awful. Will spread the word. Thanks.
Have tried the non confrontational approach with teenagers. It didn't work very well.

Onemorning Mon 20-Jun-11 18:09:22

Have FB'd it. Well done for mentioning it. I have a relative with an LD, and that language makes me very angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now