Talk

Advanced search

do you ever have a little cry?

(45 Posts)
knittedbreast Mon 20-Jun-11 10:58:21

do you? ever have a private little moment where you just cry for a bit and feel better afterwards?

I do very occassionaly and its not because of something specific, it just comes out.

am wondering if im alone

nethunsreject Mon 20-Jun-11 11:00:19

Yeah, me too.

It's cathartic.

Morloth Mon 20-Jun-11 11:03:27

Nope, I need an immediate reason to cry.

The thought of crying for no reason is a bit odd to me, but if it makes you feel better then why not?

knittedbreast Mon 20-Jun-11 11:04:29

so you could only cry if you were told awful news about family etc?

RIPSambuccaKelly Mon 20-Jun-11 11:04:58

Sometimes I wish I did it more. It is a fantastic tension reliever. When I am pre-menstrual I often cry at the most ridiculously corny TV programmes and immediately feel better for it smile

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 11:11:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 20-Jun-11 11:11:16

Joins the 'lachrymal group'... smile

RIPSambuccaKelly... that episode of Waterloo Road was the last thing I cried at.

Generally, I don't cry for no reason but if there's something generally upsetting me, it's easy to have a bit of a wallow. Cathartic and makes my eyes extra green too.. grin

minipie Mon 20-Jun-11 11:18:02

Yup - though I do need some sort of trigger, I can't just cry over nothing. The trigger can be really minor though like an ad on TV. I do find it cathartic.

Apparently our body uses crying as a way to excrete excess hormones so it would make sense that we feel better afterwards. (There was an experiment where they measured the hormone content of "crying" tears against that of "chopping onions" tears and it was far, far greater).

Pumpernickel10 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:20:05

I do and I feel tons better. Lately been crying alot more as my dogs ill and it's coming up to my moms anniversary.

Pumpernickel10 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:21:31

I stupidly googled what my dog as lastnight which I shouldn't have and that got me crying all night and zero sleep sad
Not a happy bunny today

knittedbreast Mon 20-Jun-11 11:23:15

whats wrong with your dog? dont google illness, itl scare you

aurorastargazer Mon 20-Jun-11 11:26:00

(((pumpernickel))) hope your dog gets better soon

Morloth Mon 20-Jun-11 11:26:42

Doesn't have to be that extreme, but I am not much of a cryer at all really.

I get angry quite easily though.

I am a 'fixer' so when something upsetting happens I try to sort it out, if I can't sort it out, I get pissed off.

Different strokes.

whyme2 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:28:00

I do sometimes - my dh doesn't understand it. He thinks there should be a proper reason hmm

but I do have little crying sessions. Not often (too busy with dcs) but I also feel so much better afterwards. I just wish I could do it on demand too relieve stress but I can't force myself.

Geepers Mon 20-Jun-11 11:28:30

I rarely cry, and could never cry over nothing at all. I can't remember the last time I properly cried, probably when I had to leave my twins in hospital over a year ago.

I remember crying the day my surrogate twins went home and I cried when my mum died but other than that there are very few occasions.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 20-Jun-11 11:28:39

No. Well, I have just lately (bereaved) but not in normal rl.

But I always cry when I hear Elvis Costello singing She.

whyme2 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:29:14

to relieve stress

superjobeespecs Mon 20-Jun-11 11:32:50

i cry at everything except sad/shocking news. i cry at cartoons (bambi/lion king/ nemos mum!!) i cry at sad stories on the news i sometimes just go ben our bedroom and have a wee sob to myself when im extra hormonal. i try to have the hormonal crys whilst OH is out cos i think they scare him!!!! think most of the time just now its my PG hormones making me more succeptible to the tears smile feel great after a big bawl tho

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 20-Jun-11 11:37:46

Pumpernickel... Sorry about your dog. sad

I weep at the thought of losing mine too and I know it will happen.

Ishani Mon 20-Jun-11 11:39:48

I wouldn't cry at my own mothers funeral, I fund random crying hard to understand to be honest.

zlaya Mon 20-Jun-11 11:40:16

I almost never cry, but did have good sob last tuesday, I saw my sixteen year old in a proper grown up suit for the first time, we went to buy the suit for him for his graduation ball, I had no idea I was going to react that way, just seeing him all grown up made me well up.

BrainSurgeon Mon 20-Jun-11 11:42:29

OP, in answer to your question, yes, and you are definitely not alone
I think it's mainly hormones.... makes it easier to explain to DP! (although I try to avoid it when he's around)

BoscoIsMyLover Mon 20-Jun-11 11:43:50

Oh god zlaya that made ME well up!!!

frantic51 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:44:18

I often cry on waking up, which is really embarrassing and upsetting for my DD if she has come in to wake me. hmm

knittedbreast Mon 20-Jun-11 11:58:42

that made me cry too zyla, i wont be able to around my son at his graduation. il ask for photos instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now