Talk

Advanced search

Are handwriting styles generational?

(50 Posts)
IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sun 19-Jun-11 21:21:57

For example, mine is very similar to my sister's, despite us being taught in school by different people. Neither of our handwriting is like our mum's either.

My mums handwriting is like her siblings, but different to their parents'.

My grandparents handwriting is similar to each other, as is the handwriting of my nan's sisters.

AIBU in thinking it is a generational thing? Do people of similar age groups generally write the same way?

[insert saddo emoticon here]

GreenEyesandHam Sun 19-Jun-11 21:24:15

I was schooled in the eighties and I use 'bubble writing' so......grin

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sun 19-Jun-11 21:26:10

With the little "o" instead of a dot over an "i"?

Or worse do you put a little heart... grin

strandedbear Sun 19-Jun-11 21:30:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FabbyChic Sun 19-Jun-11 21:31:26

My children write nothing like their parents or grand parents.

My writing is also nothing like my parents or grand parents.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 19-Jun-11 21:31:42

I like to mix it up....sometimes an o, sometimes a heart. I freestyle grin

Both of my grandmothers had similar handwriting it's true, very spidery, and not something you see nowadays.

I jest about the bubble writing, but actually my handwriting is awful. Didn't used to be, but I seem to have lost the ability to write neatly anymore. I blame the digital age!

joric Sun 19-Jun-11 21:36:31

Yes, all 4 grandparents had similar style though mine is identical to my mum's ....now that I've outgrown the bubble 'i' of the '80's.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sun 19-Jun-11 21:41:15

I was schooled in the 90's too. I went through a stage of doing a really loopy "s" and then of doing a really minimalistic "s" with no top, just a little flick to show there is a top to it but it's joined to the next letter...oh and writing "a" like that because it looked cooler.

posey Sun 19-Jun-11 21:41:44

My grandparents all had very curly, quite intricate handwriting. My pil are similar to my grandparents. My dad's is awful, he has to print if he wants anyone to read it.
My mum's and mine is very very similar, very neat, very even. Has been called " good, teacher handwriting"!
My sister has untidy writing. She was taught cursive writing, mine was much simpler.

Salmotrutta Sun 19-Jun-11 21:47:09

I think people were taught "penmanship" when my parents were at school in the 1930s. So they have flowing, joined writing. I think they used to get belted/knuckle rapped etc. if it wasn't up to scratch sad.

edam Sun 19-Jun-11 21:51:17

yup, agree that certain styles of handwriting have been taught at various times - these things go in and out of fashion. But everyone ends up with their own unique style - no two people have exactly the same writing.

I have a weird thing where my signature is never exactly the same. Have been pulled up on it in banks and when filling in official forms. I don't know how everyone else makes it the same every time, mine never is! (Similar-ish but not identical.)

messymammy Sun 19-Jun-11 21:54:29

I have the exact same handwriting as my Mum (probably as a result of forging so many nights in school grin ) My sister has "bubbly" writing, sometimes with a smile over the i!!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 19-Jun-11 21:55:35

Mine is very different to my 2 sisters, and we're all very different to our parents and Grandparents.

DS1 is being taghyt cursive writing and while mine is partially joined up, if he's made to stick with the cursive style while he's at this school (he's 5.5) I have no doubt that his writing will end up suite different to mine.

How you're taught aswell as your own personal style will determine how you write as an adult imo.

Salmotrutta Sun 19-Jun-11 21:58:32

My DH must have been taught by a chicken with inky feet - his signature is basically his first initial then a wavy line. hmm

PlanetEarth Sun 19-Jun-11 22:03:25

Ha ha, Salmotrutta grin.

BootyMum Sun 19-Jun-11 22:03:49

I was taught to hand write in the 70s/80s. I hate my handwriting, it is mainly printing with soupcon of cursive. I think it looks very childish - although I don't do a smile on top of an i!

I wish I had been taught to write in the style of my parents or grandparents.

How is it taught now?

lilyliz Sun 19-Jun-11 22:18:09

bootymum thats how my son was taught,a sort of cross between real writing(as we called it at school) and printing.It is much more easy to read than my proper writing scrawl must admit to trying to copy it at times but old habits die hard.

fairydoll Sun 19-Jun-11 23:33:18

I have noticed that handwriting neatness often corelates to the intelligence of the writer.So less intelligent people have neat bubble writing, and more intelligent people have a spidery scrawl.
I am the exception that proves the rule- scruffy writing and thick as pig shit!

keepingupwiththejoneses Mon 20-Jun-11 01:38:18

My handwriting is very like my nans, nothing like my mums. My brothers and ds1's is like a 5 year olds, as is my grandads but he is left-handed and at school at a time when you where forced to write right-handed so quite understandable.
Seems to be a gender thing in my family.

reelingintheyears Mon 20-Jun-11 01:53:47

DD has lovely handwriting..DS1 has shit handwriting..DS2 has ok handwriting.....

Handwriting does change with age.

My Mum's writing has got more like my old Auntie's hand writing as she (my Mum) has got older.

SouthStar Mon 20-Jun-11 02:33:19

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the way you write depends on the muscles in your hand. So for family members who have the same build their handwriting maybe similar.

Sometimes I cant tell the difference between mine and my mums writing and my brothers signature is identical to my dads.

5DollarShake Mon 20-Jun-11 04:59:14

I think handwriting is fascinating, and there is definitely a generational thing.

I did bubble-writing in my teens, but it eventually evolved into my own style. DH has a terrible spidery scrawl with some teeny, tiny letters, and other super-long, elongated letters. Oddness.

My writing is definitely different from my Mum's (old-fashioned, but very pretty joined-up writing) and my Dad's which is similarish-ish to hers, but much more stylised.

My brother's is similar to mine. It will be interesting to see how the DCs' turns out.

thefurryone Mon 20-Jun-11 05:31:49

My grandparents who would have been schooled around 1910s/ 1920s and had very similar flowing writing. I recall my Nana telling me they were taught in a very strict fashion and The term copperplate rings a bell.

My handwriting can be very neat or very scruffy depending on what I'm writing and whether I'm in a rush. I've often thought that I'd quite like to have all my different writing styles analysed in one of those what your writing says about you tests <need to get out more emoticon>

cumbria81 Mon 20-Jun-11 06:30:53

I have (though I say it myself) beautiful cursive handwriting but that's because when I was a kid I had no life was interested in writing and bought lots of books and taught myself to write that way

Lunabelly Mon 20-Jun-11 06:43:11

Definitely a generational thing - my nan's is the very pretty, almost calligraphic script, and identical (to a non forensic graphologist!) to the writing of other people I know of her generation (mid 80s)

Having been 28 years old for a good few years now, I also did bubble writing, but now have several styles depending on what I'm doing. High art calligraphy for cards and school letters, the shopping list scrawl and the "oh fuck it, I haven't written a letter since I got e-mail" style blush plus several others. I have multiple handwriting disorder at times...

My two siblings are 6 or 7 years younger than me, and their writing is similar to mums', I think their generation was the bridge between school handwriting and computers, so maybe that explains why they haven't developed their 'own' style?

Like 5DollarShake, I also find it fascinating and agree on the generational thing - I can usually judge someone's age from their handwriting. And have got forging mums handwriting to a fine art from my truancy school days... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now