Talk

Advanced search

to think DP should let me squirt some breastmilk in his eye?

(47 Posts)
RitaMorgan Sat 18-Jun-11 23:42:21

He's got some kind of eye infection - very sore and he's trying not to rub it. He has some eye bath stuff but it's not making much difference.

I reckon milk would be very soothing and I'm sure breastmilk is supposed to be good for eye infections - he's being all funny about it though hmm

AIBU?

Fernier Sat 18-Jun-11 23:43:41

I wouldn't like breast milk squirted in my eye tbh

worraliberty Sat 18-Jun-11 23:43:44

Ewwwww yep!

ChasingSquirrels Sat 18-Jun-11 23:44:54

cant you squirt it onto something and then apply to his eye?

AgentZigzag Sat 18-Jun-11 23:45:49

Hahaha, I just had to come and see the circumstances behind your thread title grin

Why not try some salt water instead?

RitaMorgan Sat 18-Jun-11 23:46:07

He won't let me squirt it onto something else and apply it either.

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 23:48:08

cool boiled water and a drop of baby shampoo. Although if it's very sore he should see someone eye infections can be nasty. I left one for days and ended up being sent to eye casualty who were horrified that I'd left it so long. Turned out to be an abcess which can lead to serious problems

CarnivalBizarre Sat 18-Jun-11 23:48:41

Now theres a picture I'd like to see! I wonder what the caption would be if someone was peeking through your curtains and saw you you aiming your boob for a good squeeze in your husbands eye !

grin

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 23:48:46

Does he wear contact lenses?

RitaMorgan Sat 18-Jun-11 23:50:25

Baby shampoo??

No, doesn't wear contact lenses.

RitaMorgan Sat 18-Jun-11 23:51:05

Maybe I should just express some at chuck it at him while he's watching TV?

noddyholder Sat 18-Jun-11 23:52:14

It does work!

LithaR Sat 18-Jun-11 23:55:32

Lol my gp actually suggested i do that to my son when he had conjunctivitus. Said it had anti bodies in it or something.

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 23:55:51

Yup baby shampoo. My doctor won't prescribe anything for conjuctivitus until you've done the baby shampo and cooled boiled water thing for a couple of days. make sure the water is boiled apparently tap water is one of the worse things you can put in an infected eye

Dancergirl Sat 18-Jun-11 23:57:38

Yes, do it! Just squeeze a few drops into his eye, it works like magic.

Don't even tell dp, just do it!

alittlebitcountry Sun 19-Jun-11 00:12:19

Yup it is the antibodies apparently and does work.The midwife recommended it for DD when she was tiny, her eye cleared up in no time after being icky for a couple of weeks. Of course she didn't care what it was.
Could you express some onto clean cotton wool and don't tell him what it is?!

octopusinabox Sun 19-Jun-11 00:13:32

I found this worked - could have been coincidence but I don't think so. So he thinks this stuff is good enough to feed your child but not good enough to rub some of it soaked into cotton wool onto his eye?

GypsyMoth Sun 19-Jun-11 00:22:47

Er no!

I have same symptoms, but it's a corneal ulcer which is requiring lotso of hosp visits!! Putting anything in it could jeopardise his sight!

RitaMorgan Sun 19-Jun-11 00:26:09

He has given in and swished a few drops in his eye now grin

LolaRennt Sun 19-Jun-11 00:29:32

YANBU

pineapple70 Sun 19-Jun-11 00:31:43

It really worked for my baby but she was 2 wks old so didn't have much say in the matter. squirted at night and it was clear by the morning and hasn't come back.

ScaredyDog Sun 19-Jun-11 02:14:56

Surely the whole reason you'd put breast milk in your baby's eye to make it better is shared antibodies?

Boiled water with a little salt or baby shampoo would be fine in the case of a sticky eye, but if it's bright red, weeping and/or it isn't better after 24hrs then straight down the pharmacy for eye drops and potentially a trip to the eye hospital as they see fit.

I've had fucking horrible eye infections with the coldsore virus attacking my cornea. If my OH was suggesting shooting his bodily fluids into my eye, when that was going on, I'd have stabbed him to death with a fork.

Anything wrong with your eyes is so fucking painful - and you only get two!

Get a proper HCP's view on it.

Thruaglassdarkly Sun 19-Jun-11 03:58:56

Breast milk = a panacea for all ills. Seriously. But squirting it in his eye might just hurt. Can't you think of a milder way to apply? YANBU.

mathanxiety Sun 19-Jun-11 04:15:37

Could you squirt some this way? I woke with my eyes glued shut this morning. I cured myself once when bfing but sadly haven't lactated for 5 years now.

Andrewofgg Sun 19-Jun-11 06:53:01

Entertaining, but it's his bloody eye, not yours, so if I may be allowed the expression: NO MEANS NO!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now