Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why Boots sell medicines...

(44 Posts)
PigeonPie Sat 18-Jun-11 22:14:33

...which are supposed to be 'kept out of reach and sight of children' at the cashiers' counters together with sweets and other things directly within the reach and sight of children.

When I mentioned it to the cashier who served me today she just shrugged her shoulders.

I think that this is ridiculous, but maybe I'm missing something.

MogTheForgetfulCat Sat 18-Jun-11 22:22:33

What medicines need to be kept out of the sight of children? Reach, yes, but sight? Surely the really serious meds are kept behind the pharmacy counter, so that sort of labelling for till-side items is merely indicative of the labelling paranoia by arse-covering lawyers that seems to afflict all vaguely medical items these days?

I suppose Boots presume that any children in the store will have a responsible adult with them who will be able to remove the inappropriate item and replace it with sweets (or not, depending on whether they're up to the resulting tantrum - I'm looking at you, DS2)? Personally, I'd rather do away with all till-side merchandising - sweets by the till drive me crackers.

strandedbear Sat 18-Jun-11 22:23:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 22:26:11

I don't think boots tends to be overun by unattended pre schoolers.

nailak Sat 18-Jun-11 22:27:30

yes but it only takes a second when you are payin the cashier for the kid to open a pack of renees...

MogTheForgetfulCat Sat 18-Jun-11 22:28:08

<Ponders disastrous consequences of DC catching sight of Oilatum> The bottle is quite a bright turquoise - maybe that's it?

blackeyedsusan Sat 18-Jun-11 22:28:29

when you are paying it is easy to be distracted. have complained about this before. try writing to head office...

DogsBestFriend Sat 18-Jun-11 22:29:04

Presumably the assumption is that children won't be allowed to just help themselves regardless of whether the items are sweets or meds? <<unsarky, genuine view emoticon>>

Pingpong Sat 18-Jun-11 22:29:50

YABU biscuit

peachyuk Sat 18-Jun-11 22:31:11

YABU

nailak Sat 18-Jun-11 22:31:39

my kids often help me with shoppin, findin thins on the shelf and puttin it in the basket? sometimes they ask for stuff they want by brinin it off the shelf to me aswell, this is a life skill and a way of makin a tedious trip interestin for them?

NorksAreMessy Sat 18-Jun-11 22:33:49

I am more worried about them selling homeopathic bollox tbh

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 22:38:35

I often find asda full of drunken toddler swigging gin whilst their mum's are distracted with the choice between findus crispy pancakes or chicken nuggets for tea again

PigeonPie Sat 18-Jun-11 22:38:59

Sorry, but I think it's irresponsible of the pharmacist to be selling Neurofen, Panadol etc at the general counter.

My children are pretty responsible, but our 'drugs' are kept in a cabinet away from them because I wouldn't trust them that far.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Sat 18-Jun-11 22:42:38

You would need to be very very distracted for them to pick up the packet of nurofen, open it, dry swallow a few and then pass out on floor without you noticing. YABU.

PigeonPie Sat 18-Jun-11 22:45:49

I think it's the principle that that is what it says on the packet and yet the company is blatantly disregarding that advise.

Just seems mad to me.

NurseSunshine Sat 18-Jun-11 22:54:10

In supermarkets there is alcohol on display on the lowest shelves. Surely this is the same thing?

Totally agree that ALL medicines should be out of the reach and sight of children but in a shop the children should be supervised. Or else not brought to shops.

lockets Sat 18-Jun-11 22:54:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NurseSunshine Sat 18-Jun-11 22:54:41

at home all meds should be out of reach and sight of children etc

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 18-Jun-11 23:07:12

nailak: do you not have a g key?

Pumpernickel10 Sat 18-Jun-11 23:08:55

YABU

ChaoticAngelofLitha Sat 18-Jun-11 23:12:26

When my DC were little it never occurred to me to ask Boots, or any other shop, to keep things out of their reach. I figured it was my job to supervise them and teach them not to touch stuff, unless I asked them to get something for me.

Hulababy Sat 18-Jun-11 23:13:07

yabu

A1980 Sun 19-Jun-11 00:14:03

YABU

Why should boots have to watch out for parents who can't stop their children picking things up.

Oh and believe me, paracetamol, aspirin, nurofen pills, etc if sucked or crunched are so extremely bitter that a child would spit them out and start screaming within seconds. I know because I tried it when I was about 16 and I couldn't swallow pills. I couldn't control my face screwing up and I shuddered so horrendously bitter were they.

They are also too big to be swallowed whole by small children and older children know better.

nailak Sun 19-Jun-11 01:36:44

No

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now