Talk

Advanced search

to ask them politely and nicely to reheat my pizza in Pizza Express because ds needed a really long mid-meal visit to the loo?

(26 Posts)
dragonmother Sat 18-Jun-11 22:00:58

AIBU to nicely ask the waiter if the kitchen could reheat my pizza for a minute because DS needed a long visit to the loo for ages just after it arrived? It had gone quite cold.

Did this earlier and dh thinks it was 'poor etiquette'. I like food hot or very warm whenever possible which he thinks is "a northern thing" (I am from Yorkshire and he is a poncey Southerner).

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 18-Jun-11 22:02:18

I don't think it's unreasonable if you asked nicely. I am a poncey Southerner too...

BootyMum Sat 18-Jun-11 22:02:34

Can't see the problem with that confused

Why does DH think it's poor etiquette?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 18-Jun-11 22:03:31

cold pizza is the dog's bollocks. YABU grin

But seriously, no, there is no reason for you to not have your food the way you enjoy it.

I'm a northener. I didn't know we really like our food hot. What else does he say we like? grin

AnyFuleKno Sat 18-Jun-11 22:03:35

Yanbu, it's pizza express not the banqueting hall of King Louis of france

AuraofDora Sat 18-Jun-11 22:03:43

yanbu
send your dh to the loo next time if he doesnt mind cold food

AnnieLobeseder Sat 18-Jun-11 22:05:19

sounds very sensible to me!

Soups Sat 18-Jun-11 22:06:20

YANBU

I'm a southerner and like my food hot hmm

I don't think the staff in a place like Pizza Express would think twice at such a request, they're used to young children. Nothing more irritating than an extended toilet break dealing with a young child. My youngest takes figgin ages going to the toilet and washing his hands, all I can think about is my poor food getting lonely on the table.

BootyMum Sat 18-Jun-11 22:06:24

Unless your DH thought you were having a go at waiter for cold food although it was not kitchen staff/waiter's fault? Then I guess it would be poor etiquette.

But the way you tell it is that is was actually DS's "fault" for your cold food and you realised this and asked politely if Pizza Express would reheat it for you.

YANBU imo. Especially if you left nice tip for accommodating waiting staff!

InTheNightKitchen Sat 18-Jun-11 22:06:40

Leave the bastard.

rookiemater Sat 18-Jun-11 22:06:41

Oh god you bring me back to DS's period of extraordinarily long poos which clearly required my presence and always happened right in the middle of my meal and DH would feign complete deafness or inability to deal with it, good for weightloss though.
You'd be better of at Pizza Hut though, we have been getting £5 per adult vouchers plus children eat free and the pizzas are almost as good as Pizza Express, well cold pizza tastes the same anywhere doesn't it.

dragonmother Sat 18-Jun-11 22:06:44

Haha Anyfule - exactly.
I'm not sure I could have asked Gordon Ramsay himself the same had it been one of his restaurants with him actually working there.

The Magnificent -I was a bit hmm at the Northerner thing too. Maybe he thinks we're more discerning up there grin

dragonmother Sat 18-Jun-11 22:08:38

And Booty - I was super-polite to the waiter and dh knew very well that I didn't blame them - it was all the fault of ds' very long bowel movement!

Bogeyface Sat 18-Jun-11 22:11:17

Poncey salad eating southerner doesnt know what he is talking about! No one likes food cold if it supposed to be hot, and aslong as you were polite and they were happy to do it, I dont see the problem.

Serve his dinner cold and then tell him that it cant be reheated as that would be poor etiquette wink grin

SugarPasteFrog Sat 18-Jun-11 22:12:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bogeyface Sat 18-Jun-11 22:12:42

Or better still, serve hot gazpacho soup followed by cold warm salad and baked Alaska with the ice cream warm and runny. It'll confuse him so much that he should never mention it again!

StealthPolarBear Sat 18-Jun-11 22:14:17

Sorry but YABU because the only thing worse than cold pizza is reheated pizza - all stiff and cardboardy!

YANBU - and I am also a poncey Southerner grin

I don't think any restaurant would refuse such a request.

c0rn55ilk Sat 18-Jun-11 22:16:18

I prefer cold pizza so YABU

Grumpla Sat 18-Jun-11 22:18:18

Cold pizza is delicious (especially for breakfast) but unless we are talking several hours here I think you're talking about TEPID pizza which is MINGING so in that case YANBU.

As long as you ask nicely I really don't see what the problem is.

AgentZigzag Sat 18-Jun-11 22:22:08

Cold pizza is only OK when you're young and have a hangover, which I'm sure your DS didn't have grin

When I was a waitress people used to ask for all sorts of stuff and it was fine, that's what they're there for.

Honeydragon Sat 18-Jun-11 22:23:28

UANBU My dh and SiL openly cringe when out with my MIL when she sends food back to be warmed up. She always explains nicely that she likes soup or drinks particularly to be steaming hot...literally burn your tongue hot.

It doesn't bother me at all when she does this, which is why I get taken out to lunch the most grin

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 18-Jun-11 22:28:28

Well to me the answer is simple. Your dh doesn't mind a cold meal, and is irritated if you politely request if yours is reheated.

Your dh should go to the loo with your child. Problem sorted.

dragonmother Sat 18-Jun-11 22:36:32

That was what was even more annoying - I only went this time because dh was going to make poor ds wait - telling him he was old enough to hold off to the end of the meal!

Ds is 6 so should be able to wait a while but he had for a few mins and was saying he really, really needed to go and I was sure as heck not going to risk the consequences of not going when he said he needed to.

Argh!!!

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 18-Jun-11 22:39:11

I'm always a bit uncomfortable with an adult telling a child they can wait, especially if the child has already waited for a short time and is saying they really need to go.

It's unkind and unnecessarily controlling imo. (maybe slightly different if the child refuses to try before a meal and disturbs every meal in this way, with no medical reason).

So I feel a bit cross about your dh tbh. (but only a bit because I don't know any of you) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now