Talk

Advanced search

to think crop tops that look like bras should not be on sale at M and S.

(26 Posts)
muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 19:59:05

They are selling crop tops at M and S for 6-8 year olds which look like bras. Why are they doing this? My daughter (6) says that about half of the girls in her class are wearing them. Now I know puberty can start early but this is just sad. Or am I just being unreasonable?
for example

GypsyMoth Sat 18-Jun-11 20:00:54

Yabu

Girls are starting to develop younger. They need something don't they??

LorettaMasonPotts Sat 18-Jun-11 20:01:57

Ok imo for older girls, but I agree with you, 6-8 is too young for these style tops. At least they're not padded though.

GypsyMoth Sat 18-Jun-11 20:02:08

And my 16 year old can fit in her cousins age 8 clothes too. So age is a guide only.

HarrietJones Sat 18-Jun-11 20:03:24

I don't like bra style ones on younger children under 8 ish. But crop tops are more appropriate going into puberty as girls develop and that can be age 8ish. Asda actually have some good ones at the moment ( like short vests) in pack of 5. I had been all over looking for some for my older dds.

Birdsgottafly Sat 18-Jun-11 20:04:41

I have mixed feelings. I agree with non-sexual clothes for children campaign but my youngest hated vests and wore something similar. Mind you she was in bras by the age of 10. She had quite enlarged nibbles and being dark, they showed. I had to buy her slightly padded, but more like linned, bikini tops as well.

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:06:54

Age 6-8 just got to me though. 8-10 fine.

GypsyMoth Sat 18-Jun-11 20:07:06

Yes, young girls do actually NEED a little padding

Yet some posts witter on about it not being appropriate. Does nobody else remember how painful developing breasts were?!

GypsyMoth Sat 18-Jun-11 20:08:09

Age 6-8 is a guide. Plenty of girls are that size at age 10+

You do know that it's just a guide don't you??

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:08:28

not age 6 though

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:09:22

sorry Tiffany, I've just understood your point. M and S sizing is fairly accurate though

howabout Sat 18-Jun-11 20:09:59

My kids liked them as a half way house from vests. I'm not sure they have a sexual context as we equated them to the sports tops olympic athletes wear.
By the same token I don't think little girls wearing bikinis is sexualising them and they're a whole lot more practical for getting change or going for a pee on the way to swimming.

Birdsgottafly Sat 18-Jun-11 20:12:52

If you read the reviews most of the mums say that they are great for PE, some girls develop younger and get very sensitive. There were girls in all of my DD's schools who needed bras but their parents wouldn't buy them one because they thought that they were to young. Both my younger DD's needed support at 8, by the time my middle one was 12 she was in a C cup, you cannot put an age on these.

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:14:24

fair enough, I was 11 but I appreciate some girls will start developing at 8,

JemimaMop Sat 18-Jun-11 20:15:32

As others have said, age is just a guide. My DD is 5 but still fits into some age 2-3 clothes as she is very thin. When she is 10 she might only be wearing an age 6-8, but she might need a bra. So YABU.

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:16:44

ok I am b u x

PeterSpanswick Sat 18-Jun-11 20:20:04

I used to wear things like that before I needed them - probably not at that age but we had a uniform at my primary school and white shirts/blouses can prove see-through.

Pixel Sat 18-Jun-11 20:24:17

Normally I hate 'grown up' clothes for little girls, especially underwear, but I have to admit I'm glad M&S has these because my dd wears them. She is 15 but small for her age and only just developing a bust. As she is too small to wear a proper bra (and what would be the point?) she has to wear something. She would be the joke of the school wearing a vest at her age.

cece Sat 18-Jun-11 20:31:08

I agree quite a lot of girls wear this sort of thing instead of a vest due to their shirts being a bit see through. Also some 10/11 year olds and older can be quite small and dainty and hence would fit into the 6-8 size.

My DD has been wearing that sort of thing from Year 4 and most of her class wear them too. She is only just starting to develop now in Year 5 and she finds it helps a bit when her breast tissue is feeling a bit tender.

fatlazymummy Sat 18-Jun-11 20:31:45

FFS why do people keep going on about these things.
Girls develop at different ages. M+S clothes are absolutely massive anyway so size 6-8 would probably fit a lot of 12 year olds. And if a girl is developing breasts then she needs some sort of bra, whether she is 8 or 15.

GypsyMoth Sat 18-Jun-11 20:35:35

Amen to that!!

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:40:20

I don't think M and S are big sizes but I do think I am being unreasonable and will butt out.

zukiecat Sat 18-Jun-11 20:42:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soverylucky Sat 18-Jun-11 20:45:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

muttimalzwei Sat 18-Jun-11 20:48:52

this is what my DDs friends are wearing and obviously at 6 they are flat chested. It's more the fact that they are wearing them at 6 that is making me a bit sad,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now