Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think six year old children's magazines arent really a suitable birthday present?

(71 Posts)
emkana Sat 18-Jun-11 19:46:15

this is what ds had of a friend of mine today. They were nicely wrapped up I guess. Last month dd had of same friend a coat that friends daughter didn't want anymore, and of which I had already said that we didn't want it when it was offered as a hand me down.

Do I sound like an ungrateful bitch?

SongBirdsKeepSinging Sat 18-Jun-11 19:47:05

Yes

allthefires Sat 18-Jun-11 19:48:27

Yes maybe your friend simply can't afford it

SongBirdsKeepSinging Sat 18-Jun-11 19:48:38

Oops sorry hadn't finished typing when I hit send!

Yes you do seem ungrateful but if you had said to your friend already that you didn't want the coat she shouldn't have then given it. Put it in the charity shop then someone who does need it will benefit.

Sorry again about first post blush am a bit rubbish with my computer

childinjoy Sat 18-Jun-11 19:48:45

No you don't sound like an ungrateful bitch, I'll feel insulted by it.

Grabaspoon Sat 18-Jun-11 19:49:11

Yes YABU

Children love comics - and most the time parents don't buy them - so I would think they would be a good present.

nethunsreject Sat 18-Jun-11 19:50:26

Yanbu, but on MN you must be grateful if someone wraps a turd and gives it as a gift.

wink grin

bringinghomethebacon Sat 18-Jun-11 19:50:39

Sorry I think comics are fine, they are not cheap presents and definitely "treats"! If she bought a couple that will be about £4 minimum? I never spend more than a fiver on a child's birthday. And maybe she just forgot the coat conversation?

basingstoke Sat 18-Jun-11 19:51:18

Unsuitable how?

fairydoll Sat 18-Jun-11 19:51:38

NBU about the coat, would have been better not to give anything
YABU about the magazine

proudfoot Sat 18-Jun-11 19:52:17

YABU about the bags, but YANBU about the coat.

peeriebear Sat 18-Jun-11 19:52:33

Magazines that are six years old or magazines for six year olds?

proudfoot Sat 18-Jun-11 19:52:36

Mags not bags, typo sorry!

veritythebrave Sat 18-Jun-11 19:53:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reallytired Sat 18-Jun-11 19:54:22

Were the mags new?

Children's comics are surprisingly expensive especially if they come with a "freee gift".

TheCatInTheHairnet Sat 18-Jun-11 19:54:26

What Peerie said. If my 6 yr old got a comic as a present he would be ecstatic. If someone gave him 6 year old used comics as a birthday gift, I would be a bit hmmmm...

emkana Sat 18-Jun-11 19:54:48

The magazines are from 2005, some have little scribbles in them from her dd.

Her dd had them when she was the age ds is now - could well be that I'm also narked about it because she wrote how much her dd enjoyed doing the activities when she was that age. Ds has special needs and theres no chance of him doing the activities for a good while yet, which friend knows really. Feels a bit insensitive.

BettyTurnip Sat 18-Jun-11 19:57:16

Peeriebear has a point - are the comics dated 2005?! Laughing at the wrapped turd present.

BettyTurnip Sat 18-Jun-11 19:58:32

X post - YANBU!

bringinghomethebacon Sat 18-Jun-11 19:59:35

Ah right yes that puts a different spin on things! She is very odd and gets off on trying to make you accept her children's cast offs in that case since she has done it twice - YANBU. Unless she is totally utterly skint but I guess you would know if that was the case.

veritythebrave Sat 18-Jun-11 20:00:27

LolaRennt Sat 18-Jun-11 20:00:34

YABU no one owes your child a present at all. So anything they give that isn't meant to be unkind should be accepted happily, some people just give shit presents and some people havnt the money to give fancy presents.

olibeansmummy Sat 18-Jun-11 20:01:09

YABU about the magazines but not about the coat.

veritythebrave Sat 18-Jun-11 20:02:29

growingstrawberries Sat 18-Jun-11 20:05:51

unless the magazines are about a passion of your ds' (eg a Thomas magazine, and she couldn't find one in the shops to buy - unlikely for Thomas, but possible if the character was a little obscure) then yanbu.

if there was a particular reason why your friend thought your ds would like them (other than "oh, my dc liked the activities at this age), and gave them with this in mind, then still an odd gift, but a gift with thought behind it.

the coat is odd - if you had (nicely) refused it, why on earth would she insist on giving it to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now