Talk

Advanced search

to not mind being called 'hun'

(27 Posts)
strandedbear Sat 18-Jun-11 10:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PumpkinBones Sat 18-Jun-11 11:32:37

I have a friend who calls me "hun" and "babe" - I don't mind it. The only thing that annoys me is that, when written down, I want it to be spelled, "hon." But it's very mild annoyance smile

thegruffalosma Sat 18-Jun-11 11:33:42

I don't mind it either. It's a term of affection. I'd much rather be called hun/hon than cunt or something.

Pumpernickel10 Sat 18-Jun-11 11:35:10

Hate it. I pull anyone up who calls it me, hate babe too.

frantic51 Sat 18-Jun-11 11:36:32

I envy folk who have clearly nothing much to worry about generally, so can waste energy get worked up about such trivialities.

Call me what you like, just don't call me too early in the morning. grin

thumbwitch Sat 18-Jun-11 11:36:55

I have a couple of friends in RL who address me as hun or babe, but because I love them I wouldn't hurt their feelings by telling them it's not really "me". If they want to call me that because they like me then that's up to them - I'm happy.

creamola Sat 18-Jun-11 11:37:14

hun ,babe or sweetie is just ........well not required at quite frankly a bit insulting

PumpkinBones Sat 18-Jun-11 11:39:57

"pull anyone up who calls me it" Pumpernickel what do you say, and what response do you get?!

This reminds me of when I was instructing DH the other day to rotate which aftershave he used as I was getting bored with his usual, and he looked at me with slight horror and said, "So you're telling me how I'm allowed to smell now?" Not sure if that is that better or worse than telling people how they are allowed to speak? grin

worraliberty Sat 18-Jun-11 11:41:45

I don't mind being called it...I just boak when I see it on internet forums for some reason.

Pumpernickel10 Sat 18-Jun-11 13:57:58

I say call me anything but those names, DH does it to wind me up and yes it makes me <boak> too

Witchofthenorth Sat 18-Jun-11 14:58:02

I dont mind it....its what dh calls me, infact I get worried when he calls me by my real name! I find it quite endearing, also the dcs only ever hear their dad calling me hun so when my 2 year old called me it I found it quite sweet smile Although I would rather the spelling hon but its no biggie.

Jazzicatz Sat 18-Jun-11 15:01:15

It makes my teeth itch!

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 18-Jun-11 15:23:43

It's fine, imo. It's the intention behind it that counts. So if someone likes me and uses the word 'hun' in an affectionate way, then fine. What matters is that they care about me.

I don't use it myself, because I don't like it. But I can't be cross with someone who does, because they mean it to be a nice thing.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 18-Jun-11 15:25:27

Witchofthenorth - my husband has not called me by my name in 13 years of marriage grin

I joke that he clearly forgot my name in the early days and left it so long to ask me that it became impossible.

For 13 years, I have been "Gorgeousness"

If you ever saw me, you would die laughing grin but it's sweet of him anyway.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 18-Jun-11 15:42:50

I don't mind it and I prefer hun to hon as it's how you say it.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 18-Jun-11 15:43:50

I don't mind it and I prefer hun to hon as it's how you say it.

joric Sat 18-Jun-11 15:58:31

Hate strangers and people at work calling me Hun / babe - over- familiar. Like it when friends do smile

quirrelquarrel Sat 18-Jun-11 16:56:21

I hate "baby" and other variations, "girl"...I just don't like it!

First there is the over-familiarity thing. Then...when are they going to stop calling me those words? When it's completely obvious that I am well over 21, or when I change sex?

nickelbabe Sat 18-Jun-11 17:01:03

I don't like it.
I think it sounds insincere.

Witchofthenorth Sat 18-Jun-11 20:18:50

Ooh the magnificent I may have to get him to change from Hun to gorgeousness!! I think I like that one better grin

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jun-11 20:23:44

never been called hun. could live with that.

Couldn't cope with being called babe

crazynanna Sat 18-Jun-11 20:25:43

The guy in the fruit and veg shop calls me 'Treacle' wink

SmethwickBelle Sat 18-Jun-11 20:28:35

It's never bothered me.

quirrelquarrel Sat 18-Jun-11 22:04:01

What I find funny is 30 year old women saying "all right chicken/pet/love/sausage" to 80 year old women!

Ooh yes, I don't like 'pet' either. I know they don't mean it...but it makes it normal.

clemetteattlee Sat 18-Jun-11 22:07:01

I dislike it. My real friends would never use it so it always feels cloyingly over-familiar when an acquaintance does so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now