Talk

Advanced search

Picnic Hen Do In the Rain with newborn Following C-Section 2 weeks ago...

(36 Posts)
worm77daisy Sat 18-Jun-11 07:47:04

More of a What Would You Do really...

An old school friends hen do today, organised by her sister. The plan is a picnic in the park, followed by ceramic painting finished off with an evening meal. I had agreed to attend the picnic and painting the meal was suggested yesterday and I have said that wont be able to attend this.

I had a c-section two weeks ago and we shall all be taking our children with us, I planned on leaving my toddler with my husband.

It is pouring with rain here and there is no alternative to the picnic suggested. I do not fancy a picnic in the rain, I do not want to take my two week old to a picnic in the rain...

Would I be unreasonable to not go to the picnic and only the painting. I hate being the person who bails on these things and feel like a right poo bag for even considering it.

EricNorthmansMistress Sat 18-Jun-11 07:49:38

two weeks ago! Two weeks! YANBU, don't be daft smile

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 18-Jun-11 07:50:35

I don't think you'll be the only one to bail on the rain picnic.

I don't think I would go either, under the circumstances. 2 weeks is recent for a section and a very small baby.

Piggyleroux Sat 18-Jun-11 07:51:29

I wouldn't bother going at all tbh. I didn't leave the house for a month following my cs I felt so shit.

If she is a good friend she'll understand.

livinginazoo Sat 18-Jun-11 07:51:49

YANBU. Picnic? I could not have sat down on a blanket on the hard ground two weeks after my cs let alone got up again with any dignity, then with newborn and rain. Don't go. Just explain why. I would leave both children with your husband, go to the ceramic painting, relax and enjoy, and leave with a happy smile.

cjbartlett Sat 18-Jun-11 07:53:32

You had a serious operation two weeks ago
it's the weekend
you need to stay snuggled up inside feeding your baby
ceremic painting , wet picnics, jeez !
No one will go , they'll all turn up tonight
send a text 'dear hen, my baby needs me , see you at wedding'
doctors orders!

fastweb Sat 18-Jun-11 07:56:57

I thought I was doing well if I worked up the energy to stumble to the supermarket for a bag of nappies when I had a newborn. I was knackered.

And my c-section incision hurt still at that that point if I didn't take things quite easy. I could get about without pain, but I needed frequent lie downs, which is not that easy to do in a soggy park really.

A picnic, in the rain or not, 2 weeks post C with a newborn sounds like my idea of hell.

No way would I go and I'd be a bit put out if people saw it as me "bailing". I'd really hope it wouldn't be that hard for people to understand even if they hadn't had a baby yet.

hazeyjane Sat 18-Jun-11 08:05:20

Don't go.

Grumpla Sat 18-Jun-11 08:08:30

Sounds hideous. I wouldn't go at all tbh and if I dragged myself to ceramic painting I'd expect a medal at the very least!

mouseanon Sat 18-Jun-11 08:17:32

Don't go. It'll be miserable and it will set you back.

worm77daisy Sat 18-Jun-11 08:20:19

Thank you for all your advice. With open eyes I can see that if I did go it might look a bit martyrish. Why couldn't it be a nice pub lunch, I could handle that!!

Tootyfrootie Sat 18-Jun-11 08:24:13

Keep your PJs on and relax at home and enjoy your new baby, they're such precious times and it's hard work, besides you're recovering from major surgery. I'm sure your friend will understand and surely can't really be expecting you to turn up.... pouring with rain here too, a picnic would be very unappealing!

iscream Sat 18-Jun-11 08:28:43

No, you are being reasonable to gracefully bail on the picnic. Even if you didn't just give birth.

GeekLove Sat 18-Jun-11 08:36:22

If you had had any other operation which involved
being sliced open in the same way as a cs people would still be expecting you to be in hospital. So YANBU not to go.

BumWiper Sat 18-Jun-11 09:23:36

You had major surgery two weeks ago.!

Stay with your lovely new baba,nice and snug.

Congratulations by the way.

Meglet Sat 18-Jun-11 09:27:57

Do not go. Stay in the warm and dry in your pj's on the sofa.

I wouldn't have done a thing 2 weeks after my cs. I also had a hysterectomy and was told to not do a thing for a month, the gynea team do not approve of the way post cs mums are made to just get on with it.

Emo76 Sat 18-Jun-11 09:31:16

This hen do sounds like utter madness - of course you shouldn't feel bad if you don't go to the picnic - who in their right mind organising a hen do doesn't have an alternative plan if it is pouring?!

I am super impressed you are even going to the painting - you are obviously a kind friend!

Dozer Sat 18-Jun-11 09:32:52

Another vote for don't go.

Meglet, like the sound of your gynaes!

skybluepearl Sat 18-Jun-11 09:34:23

you can do what ever you like and with out guilt with a two week old! x

ShoutyHamster Sat 18-Jun-11 09:40:40

NO.

The people I know who have run into problems post-CS are those who felt fine after a couple of weeks and started overdoing it.

Your wounds are not fully healed. Be wise and take it as easy as you possibly can - you'll be more likely to heal well. Think ahead!

Zimm Sat 18-Jun-11 10:07:56

Cripes, I would not go to any of it.

NestaFiesta Sat 18-Jun-11 10:14:47

I was told the recovery period was 6 weeks when I had my 2 sections. I intend to take those 6 weeks off as soon as my kids leave home.

Seriously OP, take it easy, you're in your recovery period. Tell the hen you're not up to it. I certainly wasn't 2 weeks after a CS! Took me 3 weeks to stop crying and 4 weeks to stand up without wincing.

juicyfruitqueen Sat 18-Jun-11 10:20:12

At the very most, I would probably just go to the meal.

But only if I could be delivered to and from the restaurant with the miminum of discomfort.

Marshy Sat 18-Jun-11 10:38:23

Why are you even thinking about it?
Stay at home and give yourself a break

johnnyd1 Sat 18-Jun-11 15:06:56

Tell me to piss of for high-jacking your thread OP but wanted to ask a very similar question myself.

Due to have a c-section just under 2 weeks before my sisters wedding. Can't bear the thought of not going so will be there come hell or high water but need someone to be honest and tell me what to expect at that stage!

Anyway sorry for bad MN etiquette and in answer to your post OP I wouldn't be going to a picnic in the rain regardless of any mitigating circumstances!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now