Talk

Advanced search

In worrying I might be about to lose my job....?

(7 Posts)
Jenstar21 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:04:27

I've also posted in Employment, but I know here gets more traffic.....

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone can advise here.... I'm in a temporary post (maternity cover), with some hints that it could become longer, but I've just been informed I'm being referred to Occupational Health because of my Bradford score on sickness absence. I've had hellish bad luck since I started here (an accident) and 'normal' sickness - a couple of bugs, a virus, etc. This is not normal levels of sickness for me.

My concern is that I left my last job due to 'ill health'. My current employers know this, as it was in my reference from my last job. In reality, I was bullied out, and became quite seriously depressed. I'm worried that this will be 'cast up' to me, and will be used as an excuse to end my contract.

I'm really, really worried about this, and not sure what I should do. Be honest, or say my previous health issues are none of their business. I'm feeling really anxious about the whole thing. I'm frightened the whole thing might be used as an excuse not to seek to keep me on after September.

Thanks for listening.

Icelollycraving Fri 17-Jun-11 21:11:00

I don't know the legalities of it but they don't have to continue with employment once the mat leave has finished. If I were you I would really make a huge effort to be in work,if you are unwell they could always send you home.I assume that if your performance is not up to scratch they can terminate the contract earlier which they haven't done so thats a good sign. Take it as a wake up call,there are so many people chasing each job now that employers have more power than ever.

fluffles Fri 17-Jun-11 21:15:08

i'd tell the truth... they could use 'ill health' as a reason not to keep you on but no employer with any sense would use 'previous victim of bullying' as a reason so i think you're past looks better if you tell the truth.

you can hopefully reassure them that your accident is not something likely to happen again or ongoing... so you just have to look at your other sicknesses...

fluffles Fri 17-Jun-11 21:15:38

aaargghhhh 'your past' not 'you're past' sorry blush

Jenstar21 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:33:05

Thanks for your comments. I think I'm just really worried (and damaged) from my previous experience. I acknowledged my absence has never normally been like this - I think I've just been really unlucky with having winter vomitting bug, etc. I'm just not sure how my manager will take my explanation of previous situation.... Oh, and I signed a confidentiality agreement when I left (took a pay off).....
- sorry - really not trying to drip feed here! I really appreciate your views.

fluffles Fri 17-Jun-11 22:22:44

ah, confidentiality agreement.. that's tricky.

i don't know enough about it to know what you are allowed to say but it's a big disadvantage if you've signed an agreement to claim you were sick but unable to give reasons/details. did you have legal advice at the time you signed it?

FabbyChic Fri 17-Jun-11 22:25:49

You are only there to cover maternity leave, with your history Im sorry but I doubt they will keep you on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now