Talk

Advanced search

... to expect adequate notice before a viewing?

(29 Posts)
freerangeeggs Fri 17-Jun-11 19:24:29

Just wondering about our rights on this.

Our letting agency (Foxtons) has been driving us mad. We're moving flat at the end of August and our landlord has decided to sell, so there have been lots of viewings taking place. Most of them have been while we're at work, so we've made an effort to keep the place extra clean and tidy in preparation for them. However, they have been phoning us all. the. time.

Our landlord is a great guy and has been really helpful in the time we've been here, so obviously we want to help him as much as possible.

However, we got a text from Foxtons today at about 14:45 saying that there were two viewings tomorrow (Saturday) at 10 and 11am.

This isn't ideal as a) It's a Saturday morning, we've been working all week and might well go out tonight, and would like to lie in at least a bit; b) we won't be able to have showers/baths/cook etc during this time and will probably still be in our PJs; and c) we want time to get the place ready. We asked to rearrange it to later that day.

We got a really abrupt (frankly quite rude) text in return stating that they couldn't change the time as they were fully booked.

Well I was pretty pissed off because we can't keep them out if they decide to arrive as they've got a set of keys - what if me and DP were in bed?! Also, I don't think we're being unreasonable in asking that viewings are kept to any time during the week and after 12am on a Saturday/Sunday.

Besides, aren't they required by law to give us at least SOME notice if they want to come into our home?

AIBU here? What are the rules regarding this type of situation?

Thanks for reading smile

nickschick Fri 17-Jun-11 19:27:46

I dont know about the legalities of it all but its very unfair.

I think your landlord should speak to the agents and request certain viewing windows are delay the sale til your lease ends.

WhoAteMySnickers Fri 17-Jun-11 19:27:56

YANBU in that they should give you 24 hours notice. However if I were you I'd suck it up and let the viewings go ahead because you've said your landlord is a nice bloke who has been really helpful to you.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 17-Jun-11 20:02:35

I would inform your landlord about how Foxtons are conducting themselves andlet him have a word with them.

And, I would do whatever you like tomorrow morning. If you want to lie in, do so. Shower, ditto. Etc. If it interferes with the viewing, Foxtons will just have to suck it up.

And I think they may have to give you more notice, but I'm not up on the law about this, just think I may have read about it on other threads.

microserf Fri 17-Jun-11 20:28:43

What does your lease say? Mine required 24 hours notice for viewings. I'm pretty sure that's the minimum required by law, but I haven't checked it.

Also, the problem you really have here is Foxtons. They are a complete bunch of cunts (first time I have used that word on MN!) They are v aggressive when in pursuit of a commission, and don't respond to social niceties like politeness or reason.

Just do whatever it was you were going to do tomorrow morning and ignore them.

Numberfour Fri 17-Jun-11 20:32:23

I detest Foxtons and I agree that they are the problem. I used to have to deal with them in a previous job and H A T E D it and the people I used to have to deal with.

Check your lease agreement - it will almost certainly state that they had to give you X amount of notice. Let voicemail take the calls and ring back when you can. Do not allow them in if you do not want to if they pitch up unannounced and. Good luck. I wonder also if you can insist that they only have viewings when you are there? not sure about that one.

sarahtigh Fri 17-Jun-11 20:36:13

I think as tenants strictlly speaking you do not have to let them in at all certainly no-one can let themselves in without your permission , ( n fact i think technically you could not allow any viewings at all and then lamdlord would have to advertise at end of tenancy once you had left unless your contract says different) but tenants have a lot of rights and your landlord cant just turn up either.

You say your landlord is decent so I would let it go this time but make it quite clear that 24 hrs notice and not before midday on saturday. but foxtons do not have a reputation for people skills!

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 17-Jun-11 20:37:54

Just stick to your guns and say NO. Can you lock the door from the inside?

SugarPasteFrog Fri 17-Jun-11 20:45:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RuddyNora Fri 17-Jun-11 20:53:02

Not matter how much I liked my landlord, I would not be treated like that. It is still YOUR home. I would call them first thing and tell them it is not convenient and then give them times that are. Tell them if they turn up unannounced they will be turned away.

In fact after being treated like that I would tell them to feck off and not allow any viewings until I'd moved out. You are quite legally able to do that no matter what it says in the tenancy agreement. They will be aware of this too. A landlord with any decency would not try to sell until the property was vacant. Why should paying tenants have to have their privacy invaded for the benefit of the landlord and estate agent?

Glimmerberry Fri 17-Jun-11 20:55:59

Perhaps you could contact the landlord and seller directly, let him know what's happening and stress that you do want to help...but would he consider a rent reduction for the inconvenience?

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 17-Jun-11 20:56:11

As an aside - isn't it lovely to read about a landlord who is nice?

BootyMum Fri 17-Jun-11 20:59:29

I think this is extremely unreasonable. What if you were unwell, say you went out tonight and were hungover tomorrow and planning on sleeping in? Or had D & V?

YellowDinosaur Fri 17-Jun-11 21:23:11

I wouldn't be setting my alarm to wake up at 9am on a Sat am if I didn't need to be up! You do this and you might as well get up and get ready before the viewings.

You have their phone number - text them now and tell them you have informed them that 10am and 11am are not convenient and they will have to rearrange the viewings. That if they come regardless they will find the door locked and bolted and you will not answer it to them. If you don't have a bolt then leave your key in the lock so they won't be able to get in. It wouldn't hurt to politely remind them that they must give you 24 hours notice which they haven't and that you are not obliged to allow viewings that inconvenience your quiet enjoyment of your home.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 17-Jun-11 21:27:31

You don't have to comply with them at all if it is compromising your legal right to live in peaceful enjoyment of the property.
You're paying rent to live there and have the sole right of occupancy.
Tell them they can rearrange for Monday.

nocake Fri 17-Jun-11 21:36:40

It's not at all reasonable. Tell them that you will refuse them access if they turn up and that you require 24 hours notice in future. I would also tell your landlord that his/her agents are being unreasonable and that if they continue to do so you will exercise your right to refuse to allow any further viewings.

LaWeasel Fri 17-Jun-11 21:39:11

My first call would be to ring the landlord - you say he's a nice guy, I bet he'd be mortified that his agents are being rude to you and not giving enough notice.

theanimalswentintwobytwo Fri 17-Jun-11 21:40:48

I have a 13 month old and our estate agent called me a 5pm on friday for a 9am viewing on saturday morning. I nearly murdered them...

Plus we had guests staying so had to hoof them out of bed as well

fluffygal Fri 17-Jun-11 22:01:31

theanimals- I had a phonecall from estate agents at 6pm to arrange a viewing for 6.30pm! I have 5 kids under 6, wasn't too impressed especially as its tea/bathtime so house was trashed but it seems thats how they do it round here- least amount of warning!

freerangeeggs Fri 17-Jun-11 22:05:40

Thanks everyone. I'm so glad the consensus is that IANBU, as I was really doubting myself. Their text was so rude - it made me think we were at fault in even asking to re-schedule. I also thought some people might think I was BU in sleeping in past ten on a Saturday morning :P

We contacted the landlord and you were right, LaWeasel - he was really annoyed. He was also pissed because he had told Foxtons to inform him of any viewings that were taking place and they hadn't done that - he didn't know anyone had been to visit the flat at all.

He phoned the agency and the viewings are now cancelled. Yay.

Foxtons are awful though IME, so I agree with microserf and others who have mentioned that. This isn't the only bad experience we've had with them. They're very pushy, very expensive and their agents seem almost robotic.

Thanks again everyone!

theanimalswentintwobytwo Sun 19-Jun-11 21:06:02

OMG fluffygal thats Appauling shock
...I would have told them to stuff it. That is the absolute worst time of the day, did they have anything to say for themselves? I would darn well expect an explanation for that one

fluffygal Mon 20-Jun-11 19:38:39

No explanation! Very annoying but now the baby is crawling she will be put down so I can tidy up, when she wanted to be held all the time it was impossible to keep a clean house.

theanimalswentintwobytwo Mon 20-Jun-11 19:50:05

I know what you mean...you cannot do anything properly with baby in your arms...doesn't help that my DS is scared of the hoover...but he does like the feather duster now so guess I could put him to good use. blush

chandellina Mon 20-Jun-11 20:06:35

i dunno - you kind of have to expect most viewings to be on Saturday and not everyone has the luxury of a lie-in. It sucks that there's nothing in it for you (not being a seller or landlord) but it's how the system works. If your contract says they must give 24 hours, great, if not YABU. That's nice your landlord backed you but he also has to get the place let ...

Melaniefhappy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:56:06

Hi

Don't know if this will help, but here's how we did it when we were renting and moving out and the landlord was selling.

Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays 9.30am - 5.30pm OPEN ACCESS

Any other time and the place will be a) very unclean and very messy in every room due to small children and working parents or b) We will be there - VERY disgruntled and will not move from bathrooms etc in fact may not allow entry if a child is sick (child may be sick very frequently).....

All worked out nicely - agency had specific time slots to use and offer and we had our life back.

Hope helps!
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now