Talk

Advanced search

to think that feminists moaning about "benevolent sexism" are shooting themselves in the foot?

(3 Posts)
Omigawd Fri 17-Jun-11 18:00:21

Torygraph article:

Benevolent Sexism

I'm shocked to be agreeing with teh Torygraph, but do I think these feminists have lost the plot.

Cocoflower Fri 17-Jun-11 18:55:45

" I, for one, have no objection to being cherished and protected, within reason, by anybody: if mild cherishing is on offer, you can generally count me in"

Yes I agree with the author, especially the quote above.

To mind the issues of child brides etc the author brings up should concern everyone as a concern of human rights.

ILoveYouToo Fri 17-Jun-11 19:36:50

Well I think the argument is that these 'benignly sexist' attitudes are the thin end of a wedge that results in women being viewed as incompetent creatures who need to be protected from the big scary real world.

Personally, I always smile brightly and thank genuinely people who hold doors open for me (whatever their gender), and I am grateful to whomever gives me expert advice on laptops.... I just bought a new laptop, actually, and I did ask my ex-DP for advice, as he knows a lot about computers. He kindly advised me, but I still did extensive internet research on review sites etc... can't say whether those reviewers were men or women though... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now