Talk

Advanced search

to consider spending a night in a Travelodge with a male friend and both our DCs?

(11 Posts)
create Fri 17-Jun-11 15:07:04

I'm posting this here, because I honestly don't know the answer, so don't be too hard on me!

This is a good friend I've known for nearly 20 years. We take DC to football together regularly (my DH and his DW prefer not to go).

There is a game coming up at a famous seaside town c. 2.5 hours drive from home. It will be on a mid-week eve in the summer holidays and we've discussed the possibility of making it a big summer treat for the DC, by travelling down in he morning for a day on the beach, pub dinner and the game. The game ends c. 10pm, which is already a late night for the DC (ages 8, 10 & 11) but it is the school hols.

If I was going on my own, with a female friend or with DH, I think I'd go for the option of the overnight stay, rather than getting DCs home around 1am.

The is a lovely man who I would trust completely with mine and my DCs safety. I expect the boys will want to room together so sleeping arrangements would be 2 rooms, one with the 3 boys and probably me (younger DCs are mine) and my friend in the other room on his own - unless I can persuade him to swap!

We'll be well chaperoned and I can't really see anything wrong with it, it's just a feeling that it's not quite right. Friend's DW is apparently fine with it - glad she's not expected to go! DH says he's OK, but he did hesitate a bit.

DoMeDon Fri 17-Jun-11 15:09:26

YANBU - is hardly the 2 of you alone at the ritz - bunch of kids in a a travel lodge couldn't be less romantic!

Jojay Fri 17-Jun-11 15:10:08

I'd be fine with it.

My DH and my best (girl)friend have been off to festivals a few times and slept in a tent together.

Fine by me, fine by her DH. You're not sharing a room - definitely fine!

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 17-Jun-11 15:13:33

I thought you were going to be sharing a room! In which case I would be a bit hmm

Separate rooms is fine.

notso Fri 17-Jun-11 15:20:51

They are going to be sharing a room.

I wouldn't think twice about it unless one of you has 'form'.

notso Fri 17-Jun-11 15:22:26

Oh I see you are not going to be sharing then read wrong.
What on earth is the problem then?

WhoAteMySnickers Fri 17-Jun-11 15:29:42

If I'm being entirely honest I'd be slightly hmmmm if my DH was going to do this. I don't know why.

And yet he's taken customers (female) to other countries overnight to look at some of his work and I don't have a problem with it.

Perhaps it's the thought of them having a lovely family day and me missing out on it? Or more likely, I'm probably just weird.

MindyMacready Fri 17-Jun-11 15:49:06

I too read it wrong and thought that you meant all sharing one room & thought hmm, but see no issues or problems as I finally understand it! grin

create Fri 17-Jun-11 16:11:33

Ah, so we mostly think it's Ok, as long as we don't share a room.

WhoAteMySnickers, I get that actually - so would you be uncomfortable with us going at all, even if we come straight home and don't stay the night, will still have had the day out?

I feel at bit hmm becasue I know what my paretns will say blush but I really should be old enough to get over that!

Besom Fri 17-Jun-11 16:23:21

My dh has female friend he has known for 20 years and it wouldn't even cross my mind to be bothered if they did something like this.

brass Fri 17-Jun-11 16:31:44

if it was my DH I'd be fine about it - does that help?

but I don't want to see you on here in a few weeks moaning about how you went away with some man and how you're in love and torn about making your marriage work. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now