Talk

Advanced search

wrong off Mumsnet Rules interview to only show a baby being bottlefed

(23 Posts)
insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:24:00

Here I go again with a bfing thread - but I thought the 'meet the author' programme about mumsnet rules should have balanced the scene it showed of ffing with one of bfing? What message does it send that it didn't? Bfing is shameful? Bfing is equated with inappropriate nudity? FF is nice and clean and suitable for evening TV?

GypsyMoth Fri 17-Jun-11 14:26:26

we are all grown ups!! we ALL know there are more than one way to feed a baby,why does it need illustrating at every turn??

Tee2072 Fri 17-Jun-11 14:30:33

It shows that that particular mum was a) willing to go on TV and b) FFs.

Stop making everything a statement against whatever it is you believe in. It's getting really really fucking boring for the rest of us.

Nothing like looking for something to bitch about just so you can start a thread.

Oh look, the MN logo shows a bottle as well. Let's all kill ourselves.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:30:41

First, ouch at the spelling mistake in the heading. Secondly, it was a missed opportunity for a message to be sent.

Tee2072 Fri 17-Jun-11 14:32:26

What message is left to be sent?!?! Unless you have lived under a fucking rock for the last 5 years, you know breast is best.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:32:54

Tee, you certainly feel strongly about not feeling strongly.

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 14:34:29

Was it really necessary to be quite so rude, Tee?

Tee2072 Fri 17-Jun-11 14:35:50

I am just fucking fed up of you people.

Yes, yes breast is best. I am not denying that.

But do we have to hammer on about it all the fucking time?

There is nothing wrong with using a bottle.

Also, how do you know what is in the bottle? Perhaps it was expressed breast milk? Did the mum say 'oh yes, this is formula, sorry I am not as perfect as insertcleverusernamehere'.

BTW, my 3 foot tall 2 stone 2 year old was FF. Yeah, it harmed him a lot.

altinkum Fri 17-Jun-11 14:38:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 14:39:23

"you people"?

Having an opinion is one thing and you have the right to express it. You do not need to be so aggressive and rude whilst doing it.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:39:36

Tee - my 3 year old was FF and he is happy and healthy. If you do a teeny tiny search on my username you might not judge so quickly.

BitOfFun Fri 17-Jun-11 14:40:10

I couldn't give the tiniest shit.

<hides four hundredth thread today>

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 14:40:23

Did you read the OP, altinkum? Including the bit where the OP said she thought both should have been shown?

faverolles Fri 17-Jun-11 14:45:17

Altinkum - no-one has said that FF is shameful.
I see completely what the op means, the only times I can recall seeing BFing on tv interviews is when it is about extended breastfeeding, and is ripped apart by disgusted viewers.
So what's so wrong with suggesting what the op did?

ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 17-Jun-11 14:45:28

I'm not entirely sure that the producers of the program would have had any bf/ff propaganda in mind when filming.

They just wanted to efficiently produce a short snippet (if it's the one I'm thinking about - in a child friendly cafe?) that positioned Justine in a place that was mum friendly.

Did you also check that the demographic of the people wandering around
in the background was representative of society with respect to age, gender, disabilty and race?

Sigh.

I think you are overthinking this a leetle bit.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:45:40

Thank you, Soup.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:47:28

Fave, I think you are right. this is more about how BF is, (or rather isn't, because you hardly see it) portrayed on TV.

reelingintheyears Fri 17-Jun-11 14:48:26

Yawn.

<hides thred>

wordsonapage Fri 17-Jun-11 14:49:20

I think it's a conspiracy and Mn are secretly in league with nestle.

[runs]

faverolles Fri 17-Jun-11 14:53:16

Chaos, I'm fairly sure I am overthinking it, probably because at the moment I am BFing, and I find some peoples attitudes to it are downright weird - nothing to do with a bf/FF debate, just a wish that breastfeeding could be seen as normal as formula feeding, and not something perverted that should be kept private.
I imagine years down the line I'll be getting het up about teenage issues instead smile

altinkum Fri 17-Jun-11 14:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 17-Jun-11 14:58:05

Yes, Fave you're probably right - I breastfeed 4 DC over 8 years - upto 12 months each, and never experienced any negativity at all regards it, in fact only one of my peer group did not BF.

I guess my experiences have formed my POV on this.

smile

I hope you can enjoy BFing as long as you want.

smile

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 17-Jun-11 14:58:17

Altinkum I certainly don't think ffing is shameful. I ffd my DS. I just wish it were normal to bf and not thought of as crunchy and holy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now