Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why people bother to tell lies?

(8 Posts)
katkitya Fri 17-Jun-11 11:34:49

Its only 11am and twice today Ive been lied to!!

Well, the first one, I dont know if you could call it a lie. Every year we have a reunion which is happening at the weekend. My friend and I only see each other then but we ring each other about twice a month for a good hour. It means alot to us. This year she couldnt come due to money issues, childcare, having to be around more for her husband. All this is fair enough. Totally fine. I will miss her like mad but thats the way it is. Ive just rang to confirm that we will all meet her for dinner on our way to the weekend and her husband said, shes gone away for the weekend with her girlfriends!!! He stumbled over his words so, I knew he'd been taken off guard!! ffs why didnt she just say something, we were only on the phone two days ago? It is abit shoddy to give all the excuses and then go off to a spa for the weekend. Even so, she should have just said. She couldve even said it weeks ago. I dont know what to say to her now, next time I speak to her.

The second one happened afew minutes ago. A friend has been going on about how she was looking forward to go going out tonight all week, rang me last night to make final arrangements. Just rang me now and said her daughter is going out for someones birthday treat and she has to pick her up so she cant go tonight. She mustve known that for ages as well!!

I have crippling stomach ache so maybe thats just adding to my mood. Off to find a water bottle.........sad

I just dont get the reason for telling lies in the first place. I really dont think I would bother.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Fri 17-Jun-11 11:38:27

Bit shitty of your friend in first paragraph to do that to you but in answer to your question, I think some people tell lies because they are too scared to tell the truth. I know in my late teens and early - mid twenties I would make up things to avoid situations because I was scared of offending people or having them "not like" me. I wasn't able to just say, this is what I want to do so i'm not coming to x y z. It was easier for me to say I am ill/committed to attend Aunt Mabel's party etc. There are many people who are like that IME.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Fri 17-Jun-11 11:39:06

Oh, and perhaps 2nd friend forgot or has her DD been invited last minute? Did you not ask?

katkitya Fri 17-Jun-11 11:47:55

sadly, the second one has form. Out of all the arrangements we make one in three gets cancelled at the last minute.

The first one, is bolshy, brave and can speak up for herself. Thats why Im so shocked.

katkitya Fri 17-Jun-11 17:26:47

I dont know what Im going to say if she brings it up. I almost wished her husband had told a white lie and said she was at work.

The telly is good tonight and its pouring with rain so Im not too fussed about going out.

MainlyMaynie Fri 17-Jun-11 17:31:44

My first thought on the first one was are you sure she hasn't lied to the husband and he thought it was you she was away with?

create Fri 17-Jun-11 17:45:05

hmmm Mainly - great minds think alike! OP do you need to contact your friend?

katkitya Fri 17-Jun-11 17:51:16

He knows when Glastonbury is!! smile and that we are all meeting at theres on Wednesday.

I did text her as I was worried she'd packed her bags and left home, I know things are stressful for her at the moment. I find it hard to get my head around the fact that Ive been telling her how much I will miss her company this year and she has been agreeing only to discover she had planned a spa get away!! Its not like her not to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now