Talk

Advanced search

to be angry about freecycle

(30 Posts)
smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:19:44

its really getting on my nerves when people give away on freecycle silly little things like a couple packs of crisps or as today a packet of sausages .... hows that helping the environment or eco friendly someone driving out of their way to collect them do these same people not know about carbon footprinting aggghhh so stupid

microfight Fri 17-Jun-11 11:21:55

I don't think free cycle is just about being green it's also about community. I personally agree with you that's it's odd to go and collect some crisps but hey you don't know they're driving to collect them they may be on foot and on the breadline!

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:29:07

im a carer of two disabled people so yes i understand about lack of money but when its something so small freecycle too should according to their own rules either not accept it or ask they put a few things on at once , ive never had anyone turn up on foot to collect anything ive put on but i guess that could happen , and whats worse is majority of people say they want something then dont turn up at all even more anoying when your busy and hanging around for someone but thats another matter , generally i find its a really good thing though and im happy to do it.
You really do get some bizarre items though ive seen sanitary towels and knickers on there confused un used i hope lol

needanewname Fri 17-Jun-11 11:31:14

Ivey annoyed with people asking for expensive stuff. Where I am I have seen people asking for wii's iPads and cars!!

needanewname Fri 17-Jun-11 11:31:49

Sorry not iPad, iPod! Though I'm sure it won't be long!

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jun-11 11:33:12

If they have sausages they don't want

and someone else wants them

how is it hurting you?

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:35:18

yes thats angers me too go and buy one you lazy S* im sure we would all love those big items for nothing but it just isnt going to happen they must live in a parallel universe or something

hugeleyoutnumbered Fri 17-Jun-11 11:35:56

i love free cycle and the things people put on and ask for sometimes cause me to raise my eyebrow, but its a useful site,

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:36:14

its not exactly the ethos for joining the group though is it TillianAstra sort of defeats the object

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:37:41

i have a love / hate thing going for it i think huge been with it for about 7 years but the asks are deffinatley getting sillier

QueenOfFeckingEverything Fri 17-Jun-11 11:39:27

The object is actually to keep things out of landfill.

So if the sausages are headed for the bin - why not see if any local Freecycler wants them?

Our local group once had someone offer a tub of vaseline - half used as their rash had cleared up [boak] grin Now that was over the line IMO.

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 11:39:35

I love Freecycle. I've just given away an Amercan fridge freezer. Kind of the other end of the scale to your sausages grin

feckwit Fri 17-Jun-11 11:40:03

But I would pick up something like that if it was on my way on the school run... just as I only tend to pick things on freecycle that fit in with any other journeys I am making so picking up a pack of sausages might not be unenvironmentally friendly...

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:42:39

dont people have friends family or elderly neighbours that eat sausages rather than posting on FC lol ... yessoup ive given some fantastic stuff away on the site and had very little back but i dont mind im not in it for me but yes for the charity i run freecycles been great

NettoSuperstar Fri 17-Jun-11 11:43:17

I never go on FC anymore, but if I did and I could pick up the sausages on foot without going out of my way, I would.
It's free food, ditto a couple of packs of crisps.

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:47:04

i agree with walking if close by yes netto but as i say in 7 years no ones ever turned up on foot but hey i conceded earlier yes that could happen but just in my xp hasnt ever yet but you never know

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 12:14:19

Someone came by bus to pick something minor up from me... can't remember what. I also had someone come and collect a 2 drawer filing cabined by bicycle! They had a little trailer on the back. I was stunned.

mummytigger Fri 17-Jun-11 12:22:41

I've given up on Freecycle to be honest - there have been some fantastically useful things given away on there, but because I'm not at my computer 24/7, they get snapped up within seconds. And then more often than not we'll have a community email from the moderators saying that some people are on there just to grab stuff that's in good nick, and then sell it at car boot sales or on eBay. Which is just really unfair.

The one time I've ever requested an item, I asked for baby blankets because we're on a very tight budget and can only afford a few. Instead I was inundated with "We're selling a pram" "I can sell you my carseat" "I've got a sterilizer but it's not going to be free"... The clue is in the title, you parasitic horrible people. If you want to sell something, go to eBay, don't spam my inbox for days on end!

HumanBehaviour Fri 17-Jun-11 12:24:18

I've put small items on the site AND had them collected, cant see why it would bother you? I gave away a pack of Pampers (because my son had grew out of them) and a stand for a moses basket without the actual basket. Really happy someone else got use out of it.

I've also collected stuff and am really pleased about it.

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 12:32:56

I mentioned why it bothers me earlier its not freecycles ethos its not just about landfill its about green issues and also about them allowing folks to break their own rules you get people putting on 10 to 30 items individually sometimes that drive me completely crackers too but as im on it as a charity i have to get all the emails not the condensed sad so that makes for a heck of a lot of emails

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 12:55:41

How is keeping food out of landfill not Freecycle's ethos? You have no idea how someone collected the items you mention, whether it was out of their way or anything really.

People listing items individually is a moderator's problem.

smileANDwave2000 Fri 17-Jun-11 13:48:30

read the ethos its about green issues soup it mentions on my local site in great detail what NOT to put on and why perhaps your local groups rather more slack ,they insist you shouldnt post items like this individually and yes it is a moderators problem , so does that mean im not free to comment on how i feel about it then? espcially as they break their own rules in doing so , I made a apparently heinous mistake once of not waiting quite long enough to re-post a wanted (not for me but for my registered charity) and was really slated and had a go at by the moderators but others daily repeatedly break rules and they do nothing

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 14:45:05

How do you know they do nothing? In my experience, they email the person concerned and tell them about it, they don't plaster it all over the group (causing more emails). If there's a lot, they put one general reminder out.

Food in landfill is a big ecological problem, thus freecycing it is a green issue... depending on how it is picked up.

Although my local one isn't freecycle anymore, it's Freagle.

ExitPursuedByAKitten Fri 17-Jun-11 14:50:18

Damn - my Freecycle group is really boring!

tiddlerslate Fri 17-Jun-11 14:53:56

Our freecycle has a tub of half used moisturiser offered yesterday. Boak.

I've found people just don't turn up to collect stuff and find that really annoying.

I put some Ikea wardrobe doors on once and this guy came to look at them and then wanted to go and think about whether he wanted the glass ones (that we were offering) or the wood ones. Then texted him and he didn't reply so assumed he didn't want them so week or so later I put them on ebay.

Then he emailed me saying he did want them and could he come and collect. I sent him the link to my auction and told him to bid.

That's why freecycle bugs me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now