Talk

Advanced search

To help my friend run the ice cream stall at the school fete?

(12 Posts)
Bluebell99 Fri 17-Jun-11 10:25:24

She is on PTA and has voulunteered to run the ice cream stall. I have helped her with this before and have been on the pta myself in the past and done the bric a brac and toys all by myself with no help. Thing is. I hate doing the ice cream stall. I would never have chosen it. The ice cream is hard, the scoops are rubbish. I really don't want to. Had she said, shall we do a stall together, what shall we do? That would have been fine, but she has volunteered herself, and assumed I will help her. In fact this year for once, I actually just wanted to pop in with my child.

DeWe Fri 17-Jun-11 10:31:27

Produce another commitment that means you can't be there for a certain proportion of each slot. Say you'll only be popping in this year, isn't it a pity?

Bluebell99 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:14:42

Thanks for your reply. I deliberately hadn't volunteered this year, so was a bit taken aback when she mentioned it a couple of days ago. I remember the year when I had spend all morning setting up, run the stall on my own for the whole fete, and then being asked to help clean up afterwards. I'd had to get my in -laws to look after my dc and couldn't ask them to stay any longer, and had to say no. But no thanks at all for what I had done. I do think being on the pta is a thankless task but that is why I'm not on it anymore! And thinking about it, I have helped her with the ice cream stall for at least two years!

ChippyMinton Fri 17-Jun-11 11:19:06

How about being pro-active and improving the way the stall is run? Softening the ice cream, buy/borrow a couple of decent scoops. And up your takings by doing sprinkles & flakes as extras.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 17-Jun-11 11:24:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 17-Jun-11 11:24:53

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 11:32:02

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 11:35:28

sassyTHEFIRST Fri 17-Jun-11 11:35:57

Cup of hot water - put your scoop in before you touch the icecream, each time. Bingo.

We've got our summer fayre tonight - hate it (cake stall here) but it always turns a good profit for the kids so I pitch up and pitch in.

Glitterknickaz Fri 17-Jun-11 11:51:16

I couldn't do this, I'd eat it all grin

Bluebell99 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:56:46

The year my mil looked after my kids, they missed out on a fab stall where you could win one of those banana containers which stop your banana getting bent. Apparently my mil wouldn't let them have a go, so they were the only kids without one! They cost about £5 and apparently everyone was winning them.
The situation of the stall means it is near the freezer but has no water supply. Same family always bagsy the cake stand (and put the prices too high imho £6 for a chocolate cake!) I actually like doing the bric a brac, or books or toys. But hate the ice cream stand! They had a poster up at school asking people to add their names, and people and their kids had written rude things all over it, and not one name volunteering. Bit shocked at that tbh!

BeerTricksPotter Fri 17-Jun-11 13:59:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now