Talk

Advanced search

Family Christening, AIBU?

(12 Posts)
tigermummy35 Fri 17-Jun-11 08:36:44

A relative of mine got married 3 years ago in a Civil ceremony because "Churches give me the creeps". Soooo, now she has her own DS, suddenly churches are no longer creepy and said sprog will be christened in a few months time.

AIBU to think the dunking is only being done for the party and yet more presents?

<Ducks for cover emoticon>

trixie123 Fri 17-Jun-11 08:56:07

so ask her.. is it possible she has had a conversion experience? Maybe she is unaware you can have civil naming ceremonies. I'm not a fan of christenings for the uncommitted myself - why induct your LO into a club you have no intention of attending and whose rules and philosophy you do not follow?

tigermummy35 Fri 17-Jun-11 09:01:11

I might try that. She's deaf, so we talk by text. I'm seeing her in a couple of weeks so will ask then. I do find it a bit odd though, someone who has never shown any religious interest is suddenly getting her child baptised.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 17-Jun-11 09:07:30

Is she planning for the future? I don't hold any truck with god, but DH does.
DD was baptised as a baby and is now eligible for admittance into an RC school.
Perhaps your relative is taking the long term view. Perhaps it's just none of your business.

swash Fri 17-Jun-11 09:17:00

I had my child baptised and most people were surprised. I was happy to talk about the reasons why I was doing it. So I would just ask.

tigermummy35 Fri 17-Jun-11 09:19:58

Kreecher, good point. In some areas it's the best way of getting kids into the better schools. As you've all suggested, I will ask smile

begonyabampot Fri 17-Jun-11 09:20:24

just support her or not, but no need to question her or be rude. she might have her own reasons. I baptised my children even though we are not religious for different various reasons.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 17-Jun-11 09:42:11

YANBU to wonder...it does seem inconsistent.

Given that she didn't want a church wedding, I'm just wondering if she realises that there are non-church alternatives to christening possible.
If you're going to ask her about it, maybe something like 'bit suprised you're having a christening, thought you didn't like churches? I'd have thought you'd have gone for a naming ceremony instead'

tigermummy35 Fri 17-Jun-11 10:09:32

@Grimma, that was my thinking too. I was going to be "surprised" when I spoke to her, which I certainly was when I got the "save the date" text!!

begonyabampot Fri 17-Jun-11 10:16:25

probably best if you avoid the do if all you'll be doing is judging and being sneery TBH. Or would that be hypocritical too?

EssexGurl Fri 17-Jun-11 11:17:40

DH and I didn't get married in church because it didn't feel "right". We weren living in London and the area we were in didn't have a local church and no real community. I would have felt an imposter finding a church just to get married in. But, since having DC's we've moved areas and are more active in the community and the church. DS is at a CofE school and we often go to church becuase of school commitments. Also, DS and I sometimes go on a sunday morning just the two of us. I am thinking of having DC's christened. Now, it feels like the right thing to do. So, you don't know what thought processes your cousin is going through so difficult for you to judge.

tigermummy35 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:18:28

Hardly, I always attend and heartily support the christenings I've been invited to. This is the first one I've actually been surprised about, given the above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now