Talk

Advanced search

To think this is not my fault?

(11 Posts)
LoveMyOscar Thu 16-Jun-11 21:07:36

At work, we use a rota system. We get it a week in advance, and occasionally it gets changed, which our manager always mentions. I always note my rota down in my diary as it wildly varies from 8am - 12 midnight. Today I had in my diary my hours which was a start of 4pm. I got in work at 4pm, to be met by the news that the rota had been changed on Monday to a start time for me of 1pm today, but I protested that I hadn't been told, and as we have been really busy all week, I had never thought to check the rota again as I would've thought it would be common courtesy to let me know it had been changed.

My colleague who I shoud've been relieving so she could go home at 1pm was blanking me all afternoon because it meant she missed her hair appointment, my manager was horrible to me and gave me one word answers to my attempt at coversation with her, and the other colleague was being cold with me. All because I had come in at my rotered time which was set in my diary! AIBU in thinking I should've been told about the bloody change in my start time?

AllDirections Thu 16-Jun-11 21:11:20

YANBU

darleneoconnor Thu 16-Jun-11 21:14:05

yanbu

iwanttoseethezoo Thu 16-Jun-11 21:14:56

no, yanbu. they should've told you, or rung you once they realised you were 'late'.

LoveMyOscar Thu 16-Jun-11 21:16:36

Thanks smile They said they tried ringing me but got voicemail. My phone was on and has signal in my home where I was til I left for work.

Birdsgottafly Thu 16-Jun-11 21:17:14

It should be policy then to have all staff members check the rota at fixed times to make sure that there has not been a change. The checking of a rota should not a casual arrangement. It is upto the manager to sort this out and tell each staff member there responsibility, it sounds like a case of weak management and poor communication.

Birdsgottafly Thu 16-Jun-11 21:18:12

'their' not there, sorry blush

redexpat Thu 16-Jun-11 21:18:16

YANBU. If the standard practice is that your manager mentions the changes and they didn't then it is clearly not your fault.

If they have been doing this as a courtesy rather than procedure, then you should have been made aware that it is your responsibility when you started the job. I would bring it up at a staff meeting. Take the heat out of it - I was confused by our procedures recently, could you clarify the official line on?...

If it was that big a deal they should have rung you when you didn't show up on time.

Your manager's and colleagues' behaviour was not helpful, or professional, although I'd be pissed off if I missed a hair appointment.

TeddyMcardle Thu 16-Jun-11 21:19:53

YANBU, you should have been notified of course.

ilovenewpyjamas Thu 16-Jun-11 21:23:15

The way they treated you was also very pathetic and will only cause further breakdown in any kind of working relationships. The manager needs to grow up and rather by punishing you with a sulky cold treatment, needs to express how he feels, how you may feel, where the problem arose, where a solution could be found. Please hold your head up high, don't let them make you feel bad. You did nothing "wrong". Plus if it was my hari appointment and I knew there was a late change in the rota, I would have checked to see if you were aware of the change. However, it is just a hair appointment, these things happen. Not the end of the world. YANBU.

ilovenewpyjamas Thu 16-Jun-11 21:24:10

hair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now