Talk

Advanced search

to still be worrying about DS2's first days of live even though he is 14 months!

(8 Posts)
youbethemummylion Thu 16-Jun-11 20:04:26

DS2 kept failing the oxygen saturation checks after he was born everytime a different midwife came round and got a low reading they would blame the machine or that his feet were too cold "do you not have any thicker socks for him?"

The doctor came round and signed him off for going home without a satisfactory oxygen saturation test which apparently she shouldn't have done someone noticed this before we left hospital so doctor came back with a different sort of machine next thing i know baby was rushed off by doctor for heart scan. No one asked if OH or myself (though i wasn't really in a fit state) wanted to go with baby. When the doctor came back they said it wasn't his heart but wet lungs and an infection. He spent the next few days in NICU on oxygen, antibiotics and a drip, then slowly wee
aned off all three and allowed to go home perfectly healthy.

Now before everyone jumps on me i realise that in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal at all and i realise that and am incredibly grateful that my two boys were born healthy.

However for some reason I keep thinking about what happened to DS2 when he was whisked away he was only a few hours old but I have a gap in my knowledge of his first day i.e whatk ind of scan did he have, was he put in one of those tube things or was it more like an ultrasound, what sort of infection did he have? I know i should have asked these questions at the time but i think i was in shock and wasn't thinking clearly. Is it too late to find out? Can i request a copy of his medical notes from this time? Am i just being silly?

HidinginaHardHat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:05:28

Ask for a copy of your notes so you can have some closure.

edwinbear Thu 16-Jun-11 20:31:03

I don't think you'e being silly at all. I'm only just going for a debrief of my dreadful birth with DS (22 months) at the end of the month because I need to deal with it before DC2 arrives in November. I'm quite surprised nobody discussed it with you at the time and I can completely understand that you need to know what happened.

MogTheForgetfulCat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:40:27

I'm bit asurprised that you don't have the notes - DS3 was in NICU for a few days after birth due to high temp and raised respiratory rate, had 3 x attempts at lumbar punctures sad and intravenous anti-b's etc. I was sent his notes shortly after he was discharged. So I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get your DS's notes, and to do so if you think it would help you to process the whole thing. Don't think YABU at all - having a baby in NICU is scary.

MogTheForgetfulCat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:41:01

I'm a bit surprised. Sigh.

Northernlurker Thu 16-Jun-11 20:44:16

The heart scan sounds like a cardiac echo - yes it's an ultrasound of the heart and will show blood flow and the formation of all the bits of the heart. It's totally no invasive. Dd2 has had quite a few as she does have a mild congenital defect.
You can request his notes but I would suggest you talk them through with somebody medically qualified - maybe your GP can help you out?

Rhinestone Thu 16-Jun-11 20:45:03

YANBU at all to ask for whatever information will put your mind at rest. You can ask for a copy of his medical notes at any time.

Katiekatiekatekate Thu 16-Jun-11 20:45:04

I would feel exactly the same... so to answer the question, no YANBU. Definitely not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now