Talk

Advanced search

to think Canucks 'fans' need to fix their shit?

(10 Posts)
Goodynuff Thu 16-Jun-11 18:12:17

link
I love hockey, and it is sad that Vancouver lost, but this is crazy!

chicletteeth Thu 16-Jun-11 18:42:55

They weren't Canucks fans and they are certainly not representative of Canucks fans.
They were thugs looking for trouble.

I am a Canuck fan and a Canadian (I have dual nationality and lived in Vancouver for years from a young age) and everybody, absolutely everybody there is appalled by it.

There is an organised clean-up that over 10,000 have signed up to and people are already posting all of their footage and identifying people by name so the police can arrest them.

It is crazy but it is no different to any idiots that every riot for anything, but your thread title is misleading and you are tarring all of us with the same brush as if everybody participated and supported it and it's just not true.

ineedabodytransplant Thu 16-Jun-11 18:46:01

And the did the exact same thing when they lost in 94.sad

chicletteeth Thu 16-Jun-11 18:46:05

sorry last paragraph makes no sense.

Trying to say any riots of this magnitude are appalling, especially over sport.

Goodynuff Thu 16-Jun-11 18:48:03

I am a Canadian, and a Cunucks fan, which was why I used 'fan' the way I did. I meant that real fans wouldn't have done this. I am sorry if the title was misleading.
I am angry that these punks were willing to use the loss of the game as an excuse to rampage, and cause so much damage.

chicletteeth Thu 16-Jun-11 18:48:32

Yes, they did.
They are idiots - there are a select group of young drunken men, fuelled on booze and then get caught up in the mob mentality.

Remember that law student that threw the fire extinguisher off the roof during the tuition fees protest! Never put a foot out of place and then look what he did.

Vancouver police should have been better prepared; their 'meet and greet' approach is not suitable.

Have the police out in force and have the riot police ready just in case.

They weren't prepared and i didn't have to get that bad.

Such a shame that so few have ruined it for so many

Goodynuff Thu 16-Jun-11 18:48:40

and I can spell Canuck, when I'm not typing too fast blush

chicletteeth Thu 16-Jun-11 18:50:17

OK, that's cool - I get you!

I can't help but feel defensive of my city and it pisses me off that they've done this.

My brother was at the game, saw a Bruins fan pushed off the Georgia viaduct. He is critically ill sad

Goodynuff Thu 16-Jun-11 18:53:56

Omg! And with all the chaos, the ambulances were having a rough time getting to anyone. sad
I was watching the riots on tv, and seeing so many people injured was shocking.

DogsBestFriend Thu 16-Jun-11 19:38:43

A heartbreaking thing to happen in an otherwise beautiful and welcoming country.

I'm a big sports supporter too (UK football... okay, soccer to you lot!) and as you know over the years we've seen the same aggression and violence carried out by alleged "fans". Sickening, all of them.

I hope the decent Canadian folk - and that's the majority of you by far - overcome this dreadful situation and come out of it stronger and wiser so that it never happens again. All I can say is that I'm sure that anyone who, like me, has been to Canada isn't tarring all your citizens with the same brush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now