Talk

Advanced search

Off sick today but need shopping!!

(21 Posts)
ButWhyIsTheGinGone Thu 16-Jun-11 15:40:28

Please tell me I am being silly?!
I was sick 3 times during the night night and have spent most of today feeling nauseous, acidic and like my stomach's gone through a mangle. Even though I havent been sick today, there is no way I could have worked.

I've forced about a gallon of water down me and had a good sleep this afternoon so am feeling a lot better. Thing is, I desperately need to get some groceries - I have literally nothing to eat/drink in the house apart from stock cubes and crumble mix!

Is it unreasonable to go to the shop knowing that if I run into someone work related it could potientially look bad? Bearing in mind I work in a school so there are a LOT of people I could run into...
Or am I being silly and should take the "I'm an adult, I can decide if I'm ill enough to work or not..." approach? My sick record is fine so I hope people wouldn't judge, but it just looks bad, doesn't it....?
(Currently wavering towards driving to Sainsbury's 10 miles away...)

Witchofthenorth Thu 16-Jun-11 15:42:59

Don't worry about it.......If you need shopping then go! It's not like your going to have a night on the piss smile

aliceliddell Thu 16-Jun-11 15:43:04

Order it online to be delivered?

Insomnia11 Thu 16-Jun-11 15:43:33

Can you ask someone to pick up a few essentials?

Go shopping - it's fine!!!! You need to eat smile

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Thu 16-Jun-11 15:45:30

Thankyou witch, good point!
alice - I did think about that but I really prefer to go and be able to look for the best deals in store (tight budget at the mo!) Also, I really need it today... I think I might bite the bullet and just hope for the best.

BranchingOut Thu 16-Jun-11 15:49:03

Wear sunglasses indoors smile

nickelbabe Thu 16-Jun-11 15:49:40

just go for it!
starving yourself is not going to make yo ufeel better.

If you're worried, get some dark eyeshadow and rub it into your face just under your eyes wink

Witchofthenorth Thu 16-Jun-11 15:54:44

Oh or do the talc trick we all dd while still at school ( or whilst in employment if some of u are honest smile ) you know the one talc all over your face smile I had a spectacular fail with this one though when younger, forgot to make sure my lips were suitably whitened. The White face and bright red lips didn't quite have the effect on my mother I had hoped blush. However, you are an adult and are quite capable of deciding what you are and are not up for doing.

somethingwitty82 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:08:41

Oxo crumble! my favouritegrin

meowchut Thu 16-Jun-11 16:10:59

I have been in your situation, I have been "caught". I was told that while it was acceptable to pop out for a pint of milk, it was not acceptable to go to Sainsus. I did mention that I lived on my own, and had no food in the house for a week, but this did not help.

Phone a friend?

And I hope you feel better soon .

EmmalinaC Thu 16-Jun-11 16:28:27

What meow said. Popping out for bread and milk? Fine. Family shop in Sainsbury's? As an employer I would not be impressed. Might not be a disciplinary issue but it wouldn't reflect very well on you.

But if you do decide to go out, make sure you look really, really rough!

Jaspants Thu 16-Jun-11 16:31:25

Agree small local shop for bread / milk / medicine = fine; trolley load from supermarket = taking the piss

VivaLeBeaver Thu 16-Jun-11 16:33:27

If you were sick 3x in the night and work in a school then you can't go into work today for risk of passing it on. However it is perfectly feasible that in the afternoon you could feel well enough to go to the supermarket.

LadyThumb Thu 16-Jun-11 16:35:04

If you do meet anyone you know just tell them you've had to come out for a prescription (and get your shopping at the same time)!

HairyHobbit Thu 16-Jun-11 16:35:04

Just don't wear make up. wink

WhoAteMySnickers Thu 16-Jun-11 16:35:39

Agree with the others, essentials - ok, a weekly food shop - not ok.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 16:37:28

make sure some painkillers are prominent in your basket

herbietea Thu 16-Jun-11 16:48:10

Message withdrawn

Scholes34 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:53:50

You posted after the end of the school day, so really not unreasonable that you might be out and about.

However, can't believe you buy crumble mix! A crumble is the easiest thing in the world to make!!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 16-Jun-11 16:54:37

What VivaLeBeaver said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now