Talk

Advanced search

To not fully refund this buyer on ebay??

(19 Posts)
organictwat Thu 16-Jun-11 14:54:58

I sold an expensive dress 'buy it now' to a buyer in America. She said it didn't fit and would like to return it for a refund so I said fine no problem. It arrived this morning with a £100 customs charge on it as she had put the dress was worth £400 on the front of the parcel and customs had opened it. I didn't pay as I didn't have the money lying around.

Ebay have said I am liable to pay and I'm really upset as I just don't have the money. Shall I try asking her to pay?

thisisyesterday Thu 16-Jun-11 14:56:55

omg!

i would not claim it if i were you. let them send it back to her.

then tell her to either re-sell it on ebay, or send it back marked as a gift

organictwat Thu 16-Jun-11 14:57:04

By the way it was worth £175 not £400!!!

organictwat Thu 16-Jun-11 14:58:35

But she could open a case, give the tracking number which would say it had been delivered and refused and ebay would give her the money back and she would also have the dress sad

thisisyesterday Thu 16-Jun-11 14:59:49

ahhh so have you actually taken delivery of it then? I didn't think they would let you have it unless you paid

LDNmummy Thu 16-Jun-11 15:01:20

I would not refund! Why on earth would she say it was worth £400 if only worth £175?

Silly person.

Have you emailed her?

Clytaemnestra Thu 16-Jun-11 15:02:41

Sounds like a scam to me, I'm sorry. When it gets returned she'll do exactly what you say, and get a free dress.

If you can scrape the cash together, I would put it back on ebay and try and recoup as much as you can. sad

EricNorthmansMistress Thu 16-Jun-11 15:05:05

Cancel your paypal account now? That way ebay can't yoink your money without permission. What a twat.

TandB Thu 16-Jun-11 15:08:56

If you haven't already collected it then I would suggest refusing it so that it is returned, but contacting her through the Ebay messaging system to say that it has incurred excessive customs charges due to her failure to properly mark the parcel as returned/unwanted goods (exempt from charges) and her inflation of the value of the goods. Ask her to properly mark the parcel and return it for a refund. Make it very clear that you are willing to issue this refund when she complies with this.
She may be an honest buyer and comply with this, or if she is arsey and opens a dispute then I would have thought you have at least a chance of winning due to the fact that there was no good reason for her to give a provably false value to the parcel.

MrSpoc Thu 16-Jun-11 15:12:20

Why did you offer her a refund? because you are not a business (i am assuming your not opperating as a business) then you do not have to offer a refund. As long as you put a full and proper discription on the e-bay would not of done anything. Now if you said it was a size 16 but infact it was a size 10 then you could of been liable.

MyDogHatesMe Thu 16-Jun-11 15:17:32

I wouldn't have offered a refund either - if it doesn't fit her that's her lookout, as long as you described it as the right size in your listing.

But what's done is done. Can't you pay the £100 charge and knock it off whatever it is she thinks you owe her for a refund? Or am I missing something?

MrsBethel Thu 16-Jun-11 15:27:09

Have you tried talking to customs?

I'd have thought for a return no duty would be be due. Or at the very least you should be able to prove that it is only worth £175.

organictwat Thu 16-Jun-11 15:32:19

I had to offer her a refund as it was 'buy it now' and I'm a business seller (ebay lured me into becoming one with the promise of lower fees, wish I never had!) it comes under the sale of goods act. I have mailed her but she hasn't replied so I have just processed her a refund minus the £100 as otherwise I could risk losing the whole lot! If she complains I will say she should have marked it as returned goods, hope it works confused

organictwat Thu 16-Jun-11 15:34:14

I haven't tried talking to customs but not sure how that would work?

MrSpoc Thu 16-Jun-11 15:46:06

Does SOGA come into play if its for an overseas customer?

thisisyesterday Thu 16-Jun-11 15:52:12

iirc you have to talk to hmrc about it...
i had a similar thing recently where i had to shell out £70 <grr>
written all over the slip thing they sent was "we do not enter into appeals" or something along those lines

you basically have to pay it, and then claim it back. that's what dp told me anyway but he could be wtong

sorry, useless post lol

microserf Thu 16-Jun-11 15:57:21

i had a problem with this with two sets of dresses and some items i ordered from overseas. i would have a good look round the rules on the hmrc website and then perhaps call them to check how this could be handled.

organictwat Thu 16-Jun-11 15:59:04

Just called customs and they have said I can claim it back & will definately get the refund, phew! What a hassle!

MrsWembley Thu 16-Jun-11 16:14:47

You do wonder with some buyers. I sold some pottery, wrapped and boxed it well, then got a message saying one of the pieces had arrived broken. I sent back a message to return the item and I would give a full refund - never heard from them again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now