Talk

Advanced search

Sports Day, Competitive Parents Race

(47 Posts)
D0G Thu 16-Jun-11 14:49:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

faverolles Thu 16-Jun-11 14:54:36

I remember a sports day when the most competitive of the lot donned her running shoes and tucked her skirt in her pants ready to win, then spectacularly tripped near the finish line and felled the other competitive mummies. A mere nobody jumped over them and won.
'Twas a great day in sporting history grin

OP - YANBU.

GabbyLoggon Thu 16-Jun-11 15:10:43

I remember seeing Princess Diana winning her parents race on TV. Di really went for it.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 16-Jun-11 15:14:17

YANBU. The parents race should not be serious. At DDs primary it would be either an egg and spoon or sack race. This automatically excludes anyone who takes themselves too seriously, but does encourage jovial cheating.

piprabbit Thu 16-Jun-11 15:16:57

I will be wearing my longest, most floaty maxi dress and a pair of heels. I may even carry a parasol.
My picnic will include a bottle of something bubbly that pops on opening (even if it alcohol free) and some strawberries.
I will waft about smiling with gentle sorrow and pity on those wearing shorts and trainers.

redexpat Thu 16-Jun-11 15:29:29

Ha ha! Seriously? This thread has cheered me up greatly! And YANBU.

Insomnia11 Thu 16-Jun-11 15:54:19

I once did the race when pregnant with DD2, kicked off my flip flops and ran! I didn't win but was somewhere in the middle.

The bad thing is, because I do go jogging, people think I'll be fast. Er, no. I could beat them over 5k maybe though smile

DH amazed me with his sprinting skills though in the dad's race - both times he's done it he's been in the first three, and that was in his suit and work shoes. And he never exercises apart from walking, is slightly tubby, smokes and by his own admission, drinks too much lager. hmm

LucretiaInShadows Thu 16-Jun-11 15:57:37

A work colleague of mine went to her DS's sports day last year intending to go straight to the gym afterwards, so in her gym kit. She felt obliged to run extra-slowly in the mums' race, so as not to look like one of these types!

I remember DS sports day when he was a pre-school. It was held in the church hall itself, some mums turned up in running shoes...by the time they had picked up a speed they were at the other end of the hall and I am amazed there werent nosebleeds and broken noses the speed some of them hit the wall at.

Sad fuckers!!!

I am competative sometimes but I do pick my moments well!

limitedperiodonly Thu 16-Jun-11 16:10:48

YANBU but thanks for the laugh.

Gabby, I remember that Princess Di race.

She actually came 2nd or 3rd but threw her arms up at the last minute so the photographers got a good picture of her. How fucking needy but totally typical is that? grin

emptyshell Thu 16-Jun-11 16:17:37

We had to cancel the parental welly wanging one year because the teaching staff had got soooo fucking pissed off with the allegations of cheating, complaints one family always won, suggestions that other families had raked around for the fittest adults in the family that they could to try to grab victory.

Staff all got sick of it being the biggest headache for about the month leading up to sports day that they cancelled it for a year (the welly wanging - not the sports day) to teach the mums and dads a lesson.

chocolateshoes Thu 16-Jun-11 16:19:45

is the same at Sd's school. Some parents will bring a change of footwear and look forward to the race. All I can say is that I'm so glad there are enough show offs volunteersthat I won't be needed. Praying DS won't ask me!

Hulababy Thu 16-Jun-11 16:23:40

The parent's races are always competitive at DD's Sport's Day, the mums and dads alike. I never join in, lol. I have seen parents warming up, changing fotwear and coming in sport's wear. It's is in good nature though and def no back biting or bitching about it. There are always lots of parents watchg and cheering everyone on. All the girls take part in at least 2 or 3 races. DD's whole sport's day is a fairly competitive affair with the girls running for their houses and being awarded 1st and 2nd places. All great fun though and eeryone is cheered and clapped.

It was sport's day at the school I work at today. It is entirely non competitive, with no races, etc. Just a series of activities that all child participate in and move round every 10 minutes. We have a handful of parents who come and watch. There is no parent's activity or race at all.

Hulababy Thu 16-Jun-11 16:24:25

piprabbit - I want to come to your sport's day!

WhoAteMySnickers Thu 16-Jun-11 16:28:22

faverolles grin

DS's sports day was yesterday too. DH was winning but then got rugby tackled to the floor in the last five metres of the dads race and I had to stop DH letting the other dads tyres down in the car park but it was all taken in good fun.

Insomnia11 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:35:37

I do it because DD wants me to, in the spirit of being a sport and joining in.

And because my mum and dad never did anything like that and I used to wish they did. Once when I was 11 I finally persuaded my dad to take part in a Lads v Dads cricket match. I had gone on to my friends how good my dad was at cricket and was so looking forward to seeing him play - he'd given it up when I was very small and I only had vague memories of going to watch cricket with my mum. He got out first ball - on purpose, just hit it to the bowler to let the lad get a catch. I was mortified!

Oh also just remembering (though my mum didn't play) how competitive the mums were in the Mums v Girls netball - I was knocked over by one mum who seemed like a 6ft blonde amazon to me at 11!

NormanTheForeman Thu 16-Jun-11 16:47:00

At ds's school they have a struggle every year finding any Mums to take part in the Mums' race. I am the world's slowest runner, and only take part because ds really wants me to. I usually come last. Last year I was so deperate not to come last, I tried really hard, but in my desperation, I launched myself over the finishing line with such enthusiasm I fell flat on my face. blush Still, it gave everyone a laugh...

This year the school field has been reseeded, so there is no sports day. I am rather pleased as there will be no need for the annual embarrassment....

Scholes34 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:47:54

Parents' race a few years ago was running backwards. One dad tripped, knocked himself out, ambulance was called. Not had a parents' race since.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Thu 16-Jun-11 16:52:37

i'm with piprabbit, am planning blanket, cool box, strawberries and cream. wish we could have fizz but don't think we'd get away with that so appletiser all round while we gently mock the athletic ones ...

MyNameIsCaz Thu 16-Jun-11 16:52:53

One overcompetetive Dad had a very embarrassing moment when his tracksuit bottoms fell down as he crossed the winning line, his children have never lived it down!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 16-Jun-11 16:54:33

Our PTA sold glasses of fizz to parents.

D0G Thu 16-Jun-11 17:15:19

D0G Thu 16-Jun-11 17:18:06

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 16-Jun-11 17:20:27

We had an over competitive dad in running gear. I had no idea this was such a common problem! I declined the invitation to the mums race, had enough humiliation on sports day as a pupil, and now they can't make me do it I'm certainly not going to volunteer.

meditrina Thu 16-Jun-11 17:29:02

I'd like to join piprabbit too!

Parents' races were discontinued at our school a few years ago - believed to be because of over-competitiveness (though thus was never officially continued). Shame - I always like the immediately following teachers' race!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now