Talk

Advanced search

recommend me a restaurant in Bristol?

(24 Posts)
MsTeak Thu 16-Jun-11 14:33:57

City centre, for a group of about 8 women (but nothing rowdy like a hen night, think more like reunion type thing), not too expensive but doesn't have to be cheap eats either. No idea what type of cuisine, so suggest anything. I don't know the city at all, so I haven't a breeze.

Any thoughts for me? TIA. smile

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 16-Jun-11 15:00:16

www.bordeaux-quay.co.uk/
Brasserie very reasonable, pod her upstairs if you feel minted. Lovely airy place, sustainable sourcing etc etc. Then you can wander along waterfront.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 16-Jun-11 15:00:42

Pod her? I meant posher. Damn iPad.

sparkle1977 Thu 16-Jun-11 15:05:51

A number of nice places to eat in Bristol. San Carlo is excellent if you want Italian. Byzantium also very nice. I hear Cathay Rendezvous is good if you like Chinese. Aqua also nice. Hotel du Vin, posh(ish) and really lovely food.

Driver8 Thu 16-Jun-11 15:06:17

This is a lovely, bit more upmarket Indian restaurant:
www.oldindia.co.uk/

MsTeak Thu 16-Jun-11 15:23:26

Thank you, will look at those...the Indian looks fab, have you been, Driver?

jojane Thu 16-Jun-11 15:39:22

My husband went to a resturant which was a buffet - thai, indian, chinese etc. Said it was brilliant, was about £14.00 and all you can eat, they grill you steak and whole squid etc to order and there's a choc fountain etc. Can find out name of it if you want?

MsTeak Thu 16-Jun-11 15:57:48

yes please, that sounds fun!

RitaMorgan Thu 16-Jun-11 15:59:57

I think it must be Cosmos on Clifton triangle.

RantyMcRantpants Thu 16-Jun-11 16:13:32

Oooh! we go to Cosmo's in Swindon and it is fabulous so I suspect that the Bristol one will be the same LINKY

MsTeak Thu 16-Jun-11 16:26:14

just notinced this is in AIBU, I meant to put it in Chat. blush Sorry about that, but thanks for the ideas wink

WentworthMillerMad Thu 16-Jun-11 17:28:32

Ooh I ate in Bordeaux quay for my mums 60th. One of the best meals I have had in terms of food, atmosphere, decor, wine but we paid for it. Worth it though!

jojane Thu 16-Jun-11 18:18:33

Cosmo is the one, the link shows you the dishes etc. Dh says he will take me once we can leave the baby.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 16-Jun-11 18:21:17

YABU

grin

I like Goldbrick House

Taghain Thu 16-Jun-11 18:24:51

I like the Watershed, it's relaxed and really a bar, I s'pose.
I thought that Bordeaux Quay was overpriced and snooty for what it was, but Severnshed is better. Mud Dock over the bike shop does good food too.

HidinginaHardHat Thu 16-Jun-11 18:26:15

A quick google brought up a few review sites, like this one, bristol bites/

RealEyesRealiseRealLies Thu 16-Jun-11 18:27:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gapants Thu 16-Jun-11 18:29:19

I have been here with girlfriends and it was great food and very relaxed atmosphere-

if you like tapas

This place has the best food and great atmosphere too

right on the water

pingu2209 Thu 16-Jun-11 18:45:17

There is a lovely restaurant on a boat on the river in Bristol - I think it is called The Glass Boat. Fab food and great atmosphere. A little bit different as it is on a boat and there are a lot of windows so it is all bright and airy.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 16-Jun-11 21:36:19

Oooo yes goldbrick house fab, and great champagne bar. Also a roof terrace for if it's warm.

cinnamontoast Thu 16-Jun-11 22:01:35

I love Bordeaux Quay. River Station used to be good but I haven't been for years - is it still there? Cote opened in Bristol recently - good in London, haven't tried the Bristol one. If you want something cheap but brilliant, go to the Thali Cafe (several branches) for fabulous Indian food.

Hotel du Vin very swish, feels like an occasion, but service and food occasionally patchy.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Thu 16-Jun-11 22:14:01

Lots of good suggestions here.
Personally I love San Carlo, Cosmo, Goldbrick House and Hotel du Vin.
Hotel du Vin have a private dining room, which we used as a group of 10. Riverstation is still there - Great if you fancy relaxed and informal for drinks and light bite overlooking the water - they do fab mojitos!

Enjoy wherever you go.

tinkertitonk Fri 17-Jun-11 00:01:03

The Lido in Clifton is unique, in a good way. I endorse the recommendation above of Hotel du Vin, particularly if one of your group is good at intimidating wine waiters.

cinnamontoast Fri 17-Jun-11 16:15:03

The Lido! I knew I'd forgotten something! I love it and it was in Mistresses, on tv.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now