Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you announce you presence upon door-opening?

(43 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 16-Jun-11 12:27:09

My DM thinks it's obligatory to shout Yoohoo It's mommy hmm when she walks into my house.

I fecking know you are - I heard you craunch the handbrake on and spent 3.2 mins knocking the paint (F&B colour match for those who are interested) of my door with a set off keys the size of a medium pineapple.

[grr]

Do you know, mom, I'll work it out that you're here when I see the ChaoticOnes flocking to hug you?

So, are you an announcer or a SBD entryist?

<<checks for typos>>

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 16-Jun-11 12:27:46

of keys

shitser.

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 16-Jun-11 12:31:16

your presence

feckwittery.

[amgry]

DogsBestFriend Thu 16-Jun-11 12:32:52

I don't have the problem. No-one else has a set of keys to my house except DC1 and even if for some strange reason they did they'd get bloody short shrift from me if they entered my house using the key when I was at home. How intrusive, ugh!

Better she shouts than walks in quietly one day and finds you shagging the gardener DH on the dining table. grin

ObiWan Thu 16-Jun-11 12:33:01

Yes, I usually yell 'it's me!' so that no one mistakes me for an intruder (seen too many criminal types in films clouted with frying pans), and my husband (or whoever is in) knows that it's not one of the children escaping grin.

curtaincall Thu 16-Jun-11 12:33:49

If I were your mum, I'd make an announcement just to see if you were in. If you were i'd leave as you clearly don't want me to be there.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 16-Jun-11 12:35:12

Only when going to see my parents as their door (pvc one) is never locked. So I'll pop the door and shout "hellooooo" even my DS has started doing it!

Pandemoniaa Thu 16-Jun-11 12:48:14

I'd usually say "it's me" if my arrival is unseen. DS2, for example, lives in a flat which faces away from where I park and approach the block. But otherwise no and I'm irritated by people who make a great big arrival palaver when (a) they are expected and (b) it is perfectly obvious that they've got here.

I have a friend who will not park her car and walk the direct route up to the front door but insists on using the back door which involves a much longer journey from drive to house and the need to negotiate the back gate (kept closed to keep dog in) and quite possibly wet grass or other overgrown undergrowth foliage. Having got to said back door, she opens it and shouts, repeatedly "Hellloooooo! It's me". If she doesn't get an instant response, she comes in, still hollering, and then tells me off for leaving the back door open! I'm sorry to say that I've got so pissed off by this and her refusal to listen to my friendly and polite requests to use the front door that I now lock the back door when expecting her. It makes little difference since I still hear her crashing through the undergrowth before she goes back to the front of the house, ignores the unlocked porch door and very visible doorbell and phones me from her mobile to say she's standing outside the house. Like I don't fucking KNOW this????

ihatecbeebies Thu 16-Jun-11 12:49:06

Only DP has a key and my door locks as soon as it is closed so if one of us is in and the door opens we know who it will be. My aunts door is always unlocked and she always has visitors (my two cousins live there too and they are 20 and 21 so lots of traffic!) but everyone just opens the door and shouts hi when they come in and it turns into a bit of a guessing game trying to figure out who it is.

notso Thu 16-Jun-11 13:10:12

My Mum always shouts "Aloha" when she comes through the door, it's one of those things that pisses me off for no apparent reason.

PiL never open our gate, gate opening is clearly beneath them, if it's closed they go through nextdoors gateless opening and step over the wall. WTF

thelittlefriend Thu 16-Jun-11 13:16:51

I carry around a little keyboard and play a theme tune I made up for myself when I come in the door.

EggyAllenPoe Thu 16-Jun-11 13:21:00

surely she is only doing you the courtesy of a warning shout in case you are busy shagging the gardener?

some things no mother should have to see.

youmeatsix Thu 16-Jun-11 13:23:35

my mum does it when she comes here
but she starts half way down the path
and shouts SO loud
its not like i am in the west wing FFS!

it annoys me no end

Psammead Thu 16-Jun-11 13:23:46

I usually say 'hello!' if I know DH is home.

BupcakesandCunting Thu 16-Jun-11 13:23:47

"surely she is only doing you the courtesy of a warning shout in case you are busy shagging the gardener?

some things no mother should have to see."

grin

thelittlefriend Thu 16-Jun-11 13:28:10

Wow Psammead that's a bit of a crazy one!! grin

Melly20MummyToBe Thu 16-Jun-11 13:28:31

notso, if I were your neighbour I would get a gate purely to annoy your PIL grin

Honeydragon Thu 16-Jun-11 13:29:31

My dh is now a careful announcer, after walking through the (unlocked) front door and stating

"Woman come shag me, I'm home early and horny"

immediately followed by

"Hello, your not my wife"

I was out, but my friend was in the kitchen borrowing the baking tins she needed. I'd told her to use her spare key to let herself in as I knew I was out that afternoon grin

Psammead Thu 16-Jun-11 13:31:01

thelittlefriend I know, we live dangerously here. Maaad I tells you. grin

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jun-11 13:31:08

No-one has keys to my house who doesn't live there.

If someone else did have emergeny keys I would expect them to only use them in an emergency, and to knock and be granted entrance like a normal person the rest of the time.

PinotGrigiosKittens Thu 16-Jun-11 13:31:42

<arf> at Honeys DH!

notso Thu 16-Jun-11 13:36:56

melly grin

My flat - I sneak in, because coming up behind the DCs and shouting 'Boo!' is one of those annoying and tired little pleasures I cling to in my declining years.

MILs - Always shout hello as we go in, because it's just polite (and she doesn't appreciate the whole 'Boo!' thing)

Sister - Now I shout hello, because usually I only go there to drop stuff during the day when she's at work, but I have been caught off guard when she's been working from home and she's scared the crap out of me caught me unawares.

fluffybutt Thu 16-Jun-11 14:04:16

Always announce myself, to give my DC's chance to turn off facebook/msn/ or whatever they are not supposed to be doing and look like they are doing their homework. Normally like to be a little bit spanish and shout HOLA

stuffthenonsense Thu 16-Jun-11 15:14:03

Never shout but maybe I should.

As an aside, who should say hello first, the person already in the room, or the person walking in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now