Talk

Advanced search

to ask my dh to take a day off?

(20 Posts)
mumsknitwino Thu 16-Jun-11 10:02:35

yesterday I had a wisdom tooth extraction. It wasnt straight forward, 7 injections, 7 stitches. Despite that, I am bruised today but pain is managable with painkillers. However the dentist at hopsital told me I should try to rest today as doing a lot could start off the bleeding again and increase the risk of dry socket. I have four young children so resting is easier said than done. I asked my husband if he could take the day off work to help look after them and he said no. Reason being I wasnt in agony so didnt need him. AIBU?

bruxeur Thu 16-Jun-11 10:03:32

What kind of job does he do that he can get a day off at that notice?

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 10:04:05

Difficult to know really. I sympathise, but I can't see his boss being sympathetic to a last min day off because of his wife's dental treatment. Sorry sad

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 10:05:42

Sorry what I mean is unless he has the sort of relationship with his boss where he'd be telling him/her asbout the injections and the stitches, what the boss will hear is "Wife's been to the dentist and now he needs a day off" hmm
Jobs are hard to come by and he may be in a situaiion where he doesn't feel he can ask.

Can anyone else help?C an he leave early at least?

mumsknitwino Thu 16-Jun-11 10:05:59

he is a landscaping foreman and can take a day off without notice....or I wouldnt have asked. I also asked him to warn his boss well in advance that I may need help at home the next day, but he didnt bother.

redskyatnight Thu 16-Jun-11 10:07:19

I sympathise too - but also feel that (you should really have sorted something out when you got the date for your extraction. To get a day off last minute is pretty hard. Suggest trying to do the minimum today - IIRC (from when I had a tooth extraction), just normal everyday activity should be ok.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 10:07:25

Ah well in that case yanbu really

Apocalypse Thu 16-Jun-11 10:09:24

Let the children run riot as much as is safely possible and do little more than cook for them. Provide them with crafts/get them to play shops or chef with items from the kitchen, let them run their energy off in the garden and laze on the sofa if you can.

Do the same tomorrow. Then, come Saturday, your DH will hopefully be at home and will be able to assist in the clear-up operation. wink

Moral of this story - think smart. grin

mumsknitwino Thu 16-Jun-11 10:09:38

redskyatnight - I got the appointment three weeks ago and asked him to book a days holiday then but he didnt do it. I dont generally expect my dh to just take time off as and when I feel like it.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 10:10:24

CBeebies wil; be your friend.
And he can cook dinner (assuming he wasn't already)

mumsknitwino Thu 16-Jun-11 10:12:19

I will be working saturday all going well, I work 4 days a week. I think part of his reluctance was because I was considering perhaps working tonight. I work as a barmaid and on a thursday the place is dead. I would be lucky to get more than 10 customers in. Working there would be a lot easier than running after four kids all day. I also thought it would cover the money he would lose if he didnt work today. he is at work anyways. I just feel a bit...unsupported. I suppose.

sarahtigh Thu 16-Jun-11 10:19:05

if bleeding has not started again it probably wont but dry socket is an unpleasant side effect in about 10% of very difficult extractions which yours obviously was, it does occasionally occur in very straightforward ones
the biggest risk factor after difficulty is smoking so if you are a smoker please please try not to having this procedure is a minor op so you would expect the normal follow on of surgery some pain bruising and swelling glad pain killers are working

with 4 small kids obviously hard; try not to run after them too much as the jolting can dislodge the clot also if picking them up squat rather than bending over; so not in attempting to touch toes position, hopefully he can come home a bit early or maybe a friend could pop round

YANBU to ask but YABU to expect him to be allowed it off without lots of raised eyebrows despite that this is minor surgery the fact that it dentistry means everyone thinks today you should be running about like spring chicken if you had similar procedure on toe/ arm etc it would be different but unfortunately that's life saying yuo had oral surgery rather than an extraction might work better for sympathy

good luck anyway

mumsknitwino Thu 16-Jun-11 10:21:15

I dont smoke. The bleeding stops and starts, but not very much. The bending over hurts a lot, so I will try the squats thanks smile

JudysJudgement Thu 16-Jun-11 10:22:22

how old are the kids

ChaoticAngelofLitha Thu 16-Jun-11 10:27:39

I like Apocalypse's suggestion grin

sarahtigh Thu 16-Jun-11 10:28:31

hi

I wrote a fairly long reply to someone yesterday on bleeding after extractions to save me typing it all again its in the general health page so maybe you can find that

wonkylegs Thu 16-Jun-11 10:28:52

YANBU but I'm not at all surprised my DH was warned well in advance of my minor hip surgery , I still ended up doing the nursery run prior to going into hospital and getting a taxi home from hospital thankfully MIL drove up from 2hrs away to pick up DS from nursery and look after him for a couple of days whilst I couldn't even hobble. DH's work colleagues were horrified when they found out that I'd been left to make my own way home
Oh btw DH is supposed to be a caring professional (dr)angry

Zimm Thu 16-Jun-11 10:31:02

YANBU tooth extractions are horrid and you deserve a rest.

mumsknitwino Thu 16-Jun-11 10:36:59

the kids are 6, 4,2 and 1. Wonky legs, thats horrible. To be fair my Dh did take me to hospital and look after the kids.

shelscrape Thu 16-Jun-11 10:43:57

YANBU. I've had my wisdom teeth out - first attempt under local dentist couldn't get them out! Bruising was at it's worst after 3 days. Had them out under general in the end and was completely whacked out from all the drugs for 48 hours afterwards!!

Don't try to go to work ... unless that will be more of a rest than being at home with the kids. Make Dh cook dinner though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now