Talk

Advanced search

to think it's grim up North?

(279 Posts)
threefeethighandrising Wed 15-Jun-11 23:05:30

We are going to relocate in the next few years, and Manchester is a serious contender for DP for jobs.

If DP was to get work there then we would live somewhere semi-rural and commutable.

But ... the only experiences I have of Manchester and the surrounding areas are though my ex. He was an arsehole of the highest order, and the many people he introduced me to (his family and friends, in Manchester & Glossop) were the most painfully dysfunctional, damaged people I have ever had the misfortune to meet.

My opinion of the area is that it's the last place on earth I'd want to live, and my skin crawls when I think of the time I spent there.

But it can't all be like this can it? Surely IABU and my experiences with my ex are clouding my judgement? Surely there's a good (great?) side that I've just not seen?

Can you sell it to me?

HalfPastWine Wed 15-Jun-11 23:07:39

What is the max time your DP would be prepared to commute ?

ZZMum Wed 15-Jun-11 23:09:52

I moved to manchester from london 12 years ago - with all your prejudices - and was proved wrong - love it here now!! of course crap areas and people but you get that everywhere... manchester has that plus great stuff - ask away!

StealthPolarBear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:11:01

Well I live in the north east and it's beautiful

SugarPasteFrog Wed 15-Jun-11 23:11:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Darnsarfupnorf Wed 15-Jun-11 23:11:38

not sure about manchester but i moved to liverpool from a VERY rural village 2 years ago and although im not 100% keen on dd growing up here (IMH and very biasO the area i grew up in is a much lovlier place to grow up) there are some really lovely parts of liverpool, most people are really nice, theres always something going on and your never far from the shops and buses smile

not sure about her having the accent though!!

SugarPasteFrog Wed 15-Jun-11 23:11:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bejeezus Wed 15-Jun-11 23:13:31

YABU

The North is not grim at all.

If you are going to be rural--it is stunningly beautiful

proudfoot Wed 15-Jun-11 23:13:57

YABVU. There are lots of different places in the north - it not just one vast grim expanse of "North" hmm

HalfPastWine Wed 15-Jun-11 23:15:14

There are beautiful parts of Derbyshire and Cheshire where you could live. Both within an hour or so from Manchester.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Wed 15-Jun-11 23:15:21

Ah so northern bashing is OK but we have to be "right on" about everything else.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 15-Jun-11 23:15:52

its not all grim and what it has in grimness it more than makes up for in friendliness!

where i work is really grim, yet some of the surrounding villages are just gorgeous - never would have thought it!

im from York originally which is a bit posh....that ruled me out of staying there then!
i do miss it, but not the snobbyness
round here its far more friendly. a bit more grim i grant you....but one day i will move again!

emsyj Wed 15-Jun-11 23:16:16

Leeds is very nice, and it is quick to get to lovely countryside or little pretty towns from there if you prefer rural. Plus Harrogate and York are both commutable.

We don't live there, but if we had to move to get work then it would be our second choice (after London, as we have friends there).

There are some nice areas around south Manchester but we felt they were very expensive - comparable prices to pleasant areas of London in zones 3 & 4.

DogsBestFriend Wed 15-Jun-11 23:16:19

Manchester isn't north! I could cope with Manchester. Try one of the interbred NE mining villages as a southerner, that's something else!

It depends where you are coming from and what you want as much as what you expect I'd guess. If you're a city girl then Manchester might suit you down to the ground, if you're used to village life then any city, northern or otherwise, will be a culture shock. Should the latter be the case I certainly wouldn't be looking at the city of Manchester but the suburbs or surrounding villages. (Speaking as a city girl born and bred now happily old and content in a picture postcard village with no desire whatsoever to live in the smoke again, even my own city).

Like any other city Manchester will offer you and your family everything you could wish for on your doorstep - that can't be all bad, can it?

SharonGless Wed 15-Jun-11 23:16:53

Maybe his social circle had something to do with it.

If you are seriously looking to commute there are loads of threads recently about people relocating because of the beeb relocation.

Its fab up north.

What are you looking for? What are the benefits to where you live now?

SharonGless Wed 15-Jun-11 23:16:54

Maybe his social circle had something to do with it.

If you are seriously looking to commute there are loads of threads recently about people relocating because of the beeb relocation.

Its fab up north.

What are you looking for? What are the benefits to where you live now?

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:17:34

I'm from the north east (though currently live Dahn Sarf) and it's lovely. Really lovely. Don't know Manchester that well, but there's loads of lovely countryside within commutable distance. It's got its dodgy areas, but really, where hasn't? Plus, DH is from Manc, so it really can't be that bad smile
Personally, I'd rather be up north, where it's less crowded. I hate, hate hate living in the same part of the country as a third of the UK population. But circumstances don't allow it for us at the min sad

GrimmaTheNome Wed 15-Jun-11 23:18:07

I live in the North West.

Oh sure its grim... affordable houses... lovely friendly Lancashire people ...the Lake District... not too horribly overpopulated..

StealthPolarBear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:18:58

whydobirds, anywhere near Co Durham??
Apologies if I have had this conversation wit you, I pounce on anyone local!

TakeMeDrunkImHome Wed 15-Jun-11 23:19:01

high fives Grimma

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:19:37

Actually, no you're right. The north is horrible. Really grim. Full of (ugh) Northerners. Move to London, pronto <whydo frantically hopes that loads of jobs miraculously appear in NE as result of last sentence, so she and DH can move home>

StealthPolarBear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:20:41

what do you do why? I am currently job hunting up here and there are a few about

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:20:42

Stealth, I'm from Newcastle smile Love Durham though. V pretty.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 23:21:06

DH sells wine. I play the oboe. We couldn't be easy...

HalfPastWine Wed 15-Jun-11 23:21:08

Manchester is central to so many fabulous places.....Lake District, Yorkshire (Leeds, York & Harrogate have some great shops and scenery!), Peak District, Cheshire....the list goes on and on. All these places are 1.5 hrs out of the city.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now